Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Favorite band

Favorite band

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post April 13th, 2006, 1:22 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Sure its super hard to play at a bajillion beats per minute and string up some of the beats and stuff that death metal does. But it only appeals to a smaller spectrum of people. I enjoy some hard music but I also appriciate the softer music - especially when there is insane finesse and techincal difficulty to offbeats and such.

Post April 13th, 2006, 1:36 am

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

Yep, I couldn't agree with you more Real. It does appeal to only a small spectrum, and understandably so. And, like you, I like softer technically intricate music A LOT, however its so hard to find in modern bands, and it seems that technically complex music no longer exists outside of jazz and tech metal, which is a very unfortunate thing.

Post April 13th, 2006, 2:00 am
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

and there's mellow music out there that isn't cheesey.

Post April 13th, 2006, 4:12 am

Points on hand: 2,685.00 Points

My favorite band of all time is Level 42. I listen to pretty much anything as long as it sounds good, but Level 42 has always been the band that I will listen to time and time again. And Jayman, I'm with you on the jazz, I love jazz music. Are you into contemporary jazz? Like Down to the Bone, Spyro Gyra or Paul Hardcastle?

Post April 13th, 2006, 10:26 am

Points on hand: 3,415.00 Points

Not really. I don't like smooth jazz either, like Kenny G. My favorite jazz group of all time is probably the second quintet of Miles Davis. Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams. I play bass too, so Ron Carter is one of my idols.

Post April 13th, 2006, 11:10 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Who keeps spazing the page out and making it too long?

and what is with this death metal being technicaly hard to play? Have you guys ever tried to even play it? It's just as easy as playing emo stuff, just with alot less catchy riffs as the musicans are so 'uncomformist' that they use that shittest sounding dimished chords that can find, the one that have zero tune to them at all. Death metal is a joke, it really it is. It makes me laugh that when people talk about Death Metal, some guy will say I like such and such Death Metal band, and someone else will tell them how much they suck and that they arent death metal...it truely is pathetic, I am sorry guys but take a step back. The music is toneless and really lacks this technicality that you guys seem to believe that it has. Go play some Classical music, thats technical, not playing the same toneless chords over at hyper speeds and whilst I am on it, what the hell is with the make up? It makes me laugh my ass off, they look even more ridiculous than Green Days new Persona and what is with the dress sense? Do they own mirrors? They look fricking hilarious are they trying to be scary? and what's the fascination with death anyway? Its just as pathetic as emo kids in my honest opinion

Post April 13th, 2006, 11:12 am

Points on hand: 2,409.00 Points

Originally posted by Edge

Who keeps spazing the page out and making it too long?

and what is with this death metal being technicaly hard to play? Have you guys ever tried to even play it? It's just as easy as playing emo stuff, just with alot less catchy riffs as the musicans are so 'uncomformist' that they use that shittest sounding dimished chords that can find, the one that have zero tune to them at all. Death metal is a joke, it really it is. It makes me laugh that when people talk about Death Metal, some guy will say I like such and such Death Metal band, and someone else will tell them how much they suck and that they arent death metal...it truely is pathetic, I am sorry guys but take a step back. The music is toneless and really lacks this technicality that you guys seem to believe that it has. Go play some Classical music, thats technical, not playing the same toneless chords over at hyper speeds and whilst I am on it, what the hell is with the make up? It makes me laugh my ass off, they look even more ridiculous than Green Days new Persona and what is with the dress sense? Do they own mirrors? They look fricking hilarious are they trying to be scary? and what's the fascination with death anyway? Its just as pathetic as emo kids in my honest opinion

YEAH!

Also. Its poop [:)]

Post April 13th, 2006, 11:51 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Emo is so much much better than Death metal imo. I am not emo at all, far from it, check the what do you look like thread. BUT the music is way better than death metal, at least they actually sing rather than just making noise. And im talking about light emo here, not the crap stuff that is just screaming. Most emo kids listen to metal anyways, not emo. Well at least all the emos here do. I think some emo music just isnt given a chance because its got the title emo, and some guy with slits across his wrists in little drainpipes is singing. Some of it is actually quite good. Its just the lyrics that are a little f****d up!

Post April 13th, 2006, 12:21 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

first of all, jpe, be quiet you silly child [:P][lol] Emo is better than Death Metal, to people who like Emo music more than they like Death Metal.... obviously [lol]

Don't get me wrong peeps, I listen to all types of music, and enjoy listening very soft music, very mellow music etc etc. But just for the sheer impressiveness of really good Death Metal, you just HAVE to sit and listen and be impressed by it, even if you do not like the deep growl of 40 year old bloke...

...Which is why a lot of bands do instrumentals [:)] If anyone has ever heard of a Canadian Death Metal band called "Mastery", they don't even have a singer, or screamer whatever you want to call it [lol]

Edge, I sort of half agree with you, mainly because I enjoy listening to a lot of classical music as well, although, I hardly think anyone in the percussion section of an orchestra could play the drums in a death metal band...

And lasty, Jayman... "oh, i get it as opposed to seeking attention by being violent , noisy, fire on stage, and very "technicaly skilled" at making overly fast aggressive music that scares parents? ."

wtf? [lol] Ok, firstly, my parents are what got me into death metal in the first place, so you can fook that point of yours off straight away. Secondly, what the hell is wrong with being technically skilled? thirdly, I've been to Arch Enemy gigs, twice and I saw no fire on stage and when I have seen stuff like that with other bands, it just looks cool, you seriously telling me you don't like fireworks and pyrotechnics? Lastly, are you trying to tell me that Death Metal is all about violence, and is the only type of music that has anything to do with violence, when "rappers" sing stuff like "I'm gonna shoot you ho! In the pussy!!!" [lol] seriously man, shut up....

I love all music, not just death metal, I just think that Death Metal is the most impressive when it is done properly...

Post April 13th, 2006, 2:39 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Disturbed,... i know you didn't post this... but the names say it all.. besides i have a feeling that your reasons for liking this go beyond just a fascination with a style, you are consistent with your tases.. and taht's a good thing

Post April 13th, 2006, 3:02 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I really am not into the whole blood and gore thing man, anyone who has met me on the english coaster meets will tell you that. Death metal fans tend not to wear football (soccer to you assholes) tops and baggy skater gear. I don't really see what you mean by me being consistent with my tastes cus, well, I love everything and hate anything[lol].

If a band wants to call themselves "Decapitated", then, what the hell is wrong with that? It would hardly sounds right if a band that played that sort of music, was called "fluffy pink bunnies" now would it?

Post April 13th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

I thought I'd mention the band Opeth here. I don't think IntaminFan will yell at me for liking these guys[lol] (I could be wrong though, who knows?). For people arguing that all death metal is angry and violent, you should check this band out. They've combined metal with among other things, folk music and jazz. Mikael Akerfeldt has not only a great low growl, but an awesome singing voice, and he's also an amazing guitar player and songwriter. I think that if you're not into death metal or even metal at all, they're worth checking out.
Here's a video of "Forest of October" off of their first album "Orchid" from '95, I think it's a great example of what this band is like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i9zlACbaog

Post April 13th, 2006, 5:38 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by gouldy

I really am not into the whole blood and gore thing man, anyone who has met me on the english coaster meets will tell you that. Death metal fans tend not to wear football (soccer to you assholes) tops and baggy skater gear. I don't really see what you mean by me being consistent with my tastes cus, well, I love everything and hate anything[lol].

If a band wants to call themselves "Decapitated", then, what the hell is wrong with that? It would hardly sounds right if a band that played that sort of music, was called "fluffy pink bunnies" now would it?
i know gouldy , i've heard you poke fun at it yourself. in fact i was inspired to do a new peice of music by something you said the other day. "brutal rape of the windpipe with a massive axe" (by pink fluffy bunnies[:D])when i saw that i knew you were more into the music, and thought the content was humorous. what i mean by consistent tastes is that you can explain why you like something, for more than just the image...

Post April 13th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

There's a band called "Salty Sugar Tree" and they play deathmetal.

Post April 13th, 2006, 6:34 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

i have freinds who had a band called "Bloodfart".. they didn't last too long.

Post April 13th, 2006, 8:47 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

Boards of Canada (creepy stuff man!)
SOAD
Machinae Supremacy
Red Hot chili Peppers
Death cab for cutie
meh... too lazy to type more

Post April 30th, 2006, 5:17 pm

Points on hand: 1,209.00 Points
Gogol Bordello is quite possibly the best musical group ever.
Also, Vapor Transmission by Orgy was quite nice.

Post April 30th, 2006, 5:21 pm

Points on hand: 721.00 Points
Flogging Molly
Real McKenzies
Dropkick Murphys

Ska-P
Catch 22/Streetlight Manifesto

Pink Floyd
Yes
Jethro Tull

Post July 23rd, 2008, 12:32 am

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

Well, the days have come and gone, what are your new favorite bands people?
Mine are:

The Academy Is...
Hit The Lights
There For Tomorrow
The Starting Line
We The Kings
Simple Plan
Sum 41
The Used

Post July 23rd, 2008, 1:19 am

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
uhh, from godly to not like as much but still enjoy...

The Mars Volta
Circa Survive
Tool
Envy on the Coast
The Rise of Science
Coldplay
Kaddisfly
... so on and so forth...

Post July 23rd, 2008, 1:41 am

Points on hand: 643.00 Points

Post July 23rd, 2008, 5:18 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

bloody HELL this is an old topic [lol]. Reading back through this, I used to speak as if I knew everything! [lol]... only because i did know everything, mind [;)]

Post July 23rd, 2008, 9:24 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

right now i cant stop listening to wu tang's first album.. but still i think "of all time" maybe spacemen 3, and spiritualized, and brian jonestown massacre were fun to see and party with, untill it gets out of hand, and the next time they always say "dont worry, it got wierd after you left"

Post July 23rd, 2008, 9:25 pm

Points on hand: 1,882.00 Points
well it would have to be the band who plays, "let the bodys hit the floor" i think it is disturbed who sings it.
rc designer

Post July 24th, 2008, 12:13 am

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion