Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Abso-freakin-lutely driving me nuts.. NOT ANYMORE!

Abso-freakin-lutely driving me nuts.. NOT ANYMORE!

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

As I post this on my brother's mac, I sit without a working computer. It was one that I built myself and has been running stably for about 2 and 1/2 years now until recently, when I've been getting quite a few issues at start up. This problem has happened before, but I assumed it was the power supply, so I swichted the power supply from my old case to my new one. Once I did, I booted it up and it worked fine. So then I leave for a while and come back only to find it boot up, load windows, then have the same issue. All of a sudden the sound would go to this high pitched noise, then it would restart itself.

The Bulk of the Issue:
Once it restarted itself, I was lucky if it would post. If it did post, I would get a message saying "System now in Safe Mode, Please resetting the CPU Frequency." As I mentioned, I've been having this problem for about a month or two, and it just got progressively worse and worse. So after I received the message, I'd go into the BIOS and change somethin that had to do with the cpu (I didn't REALLY know what to do because the BIOS I have doesn't make it clear as what I need to do.) So I'd change something like CPU Ratio (commonly I'd just set it to "Startup") and the Voltage (commonly to Default). This seemed to work for a while, but just tonight it stopped working completely.

What's Happening Now:
I turn on the comp, and normally the fans run pretty loudly for a second or two, then they'd quiet down and I'd hear a little click, and I'd see it post on the screen. However, all it does now is turn on and run the fans loudly; nothing comes up on the screen and the fans just stay that way.

Can anyone help me? Anything at all is appreciated. I really regret having never updated the BIOS at all and falling behind in updating drivers.

If these ever really help,
My Specs:
Athlon64 3000+ @2.02ghz
Soltek SL-K8ANE-GR Mobo
Samsung somethin HDD 120gb
Radeon x800Pro 256mb
1gb DDR400 (2x512mb)
Last edited by SMer on May 20th, 2006, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post May 19th, 2006, 11:32 pm

how do you short the jumpers? I'm really limited to what I can do because I don't have access to another computer that I can test anything but the ram on right now.

Post May 19th, 2006, 11:39 pm

also, why would this occur in the first place? it's gonna be really hard for me to come up with the cash to get anything fixed, so if you can, I need to know how to prevent this from happening again.

Post May 19th, 2006, 11:52 pm
rcmaniac25 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,275.00 Points

Maybe you changed something in the BIOS that you didn't know you changed.

If you get it working, don't mess with anything that's hardware, if you mess something up with that, it's very hard to get it working again.

As with the fans run very loud, something shorted out, I burned up 3 power supplies, and 2 CPUs and a lot more by shorting something out, but the one thing that's the same with all of them is the fans run really loud.

And finally with the shorting the jumpers:
Turn off all the power to the PC
Find the BIOS jumper:
Image Insert:
19.1 KB

It should mention where that is in your manual, the picture above is just an example.

Then you should just move it one pin over, start your PC, wait a couple minutes, shut it down again switch the plug over one, and start it back up

If that doesn't work you might have even bigger problems then just the BIOS. I like what you did when this happened previously, try swapping the power supplies again ( The power supply is supposed to be the cause of 70% of computer problems)

Post May 20th, 2006, 12:05 am

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
I'm sure your bro's Mac has never had a problem like this. As for suggestions I'm not sure if you could call this a hardware or a software problem. It may be a combination of both. You seem to have good computer building experience, but I woudn't try something too intensive as it may result in a bigger problem. Try sitting tight and checking the internet as well as friends, etc. Otherwise, just look for anomalies like the others have said.

Post May 20th, 2006, 12:06 am

I'm pretty sure that the power supply I put in is fine because it had never failed when i was using it previously (used it from the beginning, got a new case w/new psu, now I'm usin it again).

but yea thanks a lot guys

Post May 20th, 2006, 12:13 am

Originally posted by Woodie Man

I'm sure your bro's Mac has never had a problem like this.

nope, and it probly never will. he has a 17" PowerBook G4, and even though its still a G4 processor, its awesome. It's big, its wide, and its got Tiger on it. I'm thinkin now that I'll either save up for a custom-built pc (by someone like Falcon or Alienware) once Vista comes out, or just fix this one. Savin up for a new one is easier, but wayyy more costly.

Post May 20th, 2006, 1:15 pm

FINALLY! Thanks guys for all your help, its fixed!

I ended up gettin online to the soltek website and findin which jumper you use to clear the CMOS, so I did. Then I boot it up, still nothing. Turn it off, boot it up again, and NOTHING! and then I try one more time, PRESTO! It FINALLY works. *Thanks God*(times 20)

again, thanks!

Return to Off Topic Discussion