Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Attention Drummers ...

Attention Drummers ...

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post June 2nd, 2006, 7:49 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Ok drummers .... pay attention. This kid plays more like Dennis Chambers than Dennis Chambers does.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1173/tony ... olo_video/

Holy crap!

Edit: His site: http://www.tonyroysterjr.com/
Last edited by TConwell on June 2nd, 2006, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post June 2nd, 2006, 8:03 pm

Points on hand: 2,045.00 Points
haha, he is in his twenties now... That video is reallly old!

It is amazing at such a young age, I wish I could play like that when I was that young!

Post June 2nd, 2006, 8:06 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

I remember downloading this video off of Kazaa a few years ago, he is pretty good. It would be nice to see a newer video.

Post June 2nd, 2006, 8:12 pm

Points on hand: 5,058.00 Points

Post June 2nd, 2006, 8:32 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

drums through echo RULES.. not all of them.. but when the kick highhat and snare are a done deal, we like to record the toms separate through an echoplex, or a roland space echo.. yeah, this kid can play the drums very well. he is very skilled at his activity of choice.. much more enterrtainning than the videos of the dance dance revolation guys. since i'm not a drummer i shouldn't have posted here, but i'd like to say that for someone who really can't dig most drum solos this was very tastful. not only that, there's nothing about how it sounds that reminds me that it's a kid, meaning that it's not the novelty of his age that makes it interesting.. neat

Post June 2nd, 2006, 10:02 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by Hyper_Goliath

He's good, but there's an echo effect. Pshh...

Are you serious? You Sir, are a complete donkey. Look at the kid's hand speed at that age ... and you are complaining about an echo effect? The idiocy of your brain must baffle even those who conspired to hatch you.

Post June 2nd, 2006, 10:16 pm

Points on hand: 5,058.00 Points
^^Yes, my stupidity is annoying to everyone! But I think good music is the instrument and the person with no side effects or anything (unless it's an electric guitar with an amp, but no side things that "enhance" the guitar persay). And yes, I am a classical music freak. :D

Post June 2nd, 2006, 10:24 pm

Points on hand: 2,336.00 Points
^ Do you know who Andres Segovia is?
Gay sex is great! (Qwerty 18:22)

Post June 2nd, 2006, 10:28 pm

Points on hand: 643.00 Points

Post June 2nd, 2006, 10:31 pm

Points on hand: 1,238.00 Points
that kid is crazy for his age, crazy period. i wish i could be that could especially when i was that age. im not bad, but that is rediculous!

Post June 2nd, 2006, 10:41 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

Originally posted by Hyper_Goliath

^^Yes, my stupidity is annoying to everyone! But I think good music is the instrument and the person with no side effects or anything (unless it's an electric guitar with an amp, but no side things that "enhance" the guitar persay). And yes, I am a classical music freak. :D

\ahh. yes. classical music. i remember that. private lessons in clarinet, and then years of the same in trumpet, a season in the orange county youth orchestra. but ... that didn't really make me happy, but i did it. i learned alot about how music is put together,i record lots of music now, but i don't really know much about classical music.. but why the hell would you enjoy the sound of more than one instrument at once, as you claim to if you like classical music, if what you say about "enhancements" is true. a string peice could be pulled off with just a cello, i suppose, but it sounds a sh*tload more interesting with a quartet.. the other instruments are enhancements.. and while it might be nice to be in a quiet , soundproof room playing violin, when it's performed you're gonna wanna play it in a huge arena, perferably with a properly shaped shell to "enhance" the sound..
the drum playing in this video was reaaaaly good, and thats coming from someone who's really not that interested in drums for the better part. not "good for a kid" but "good" period.. the echo may or may not have been neccessary, but enhancements are not "BAD" it certainly didn't detract any from the recording.

Post June 4th, 2006, 1:18 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I've had this video clip in my bookmarks for ages now, think it's amazing! heh. I aspire to be at least half as good as that hid [lol]

Post June 4th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Sounds like some kid just going crazy and making quite an annoying racket to me. Most of these drum solos really do sound crap to me, I like drums with a beat, these solos just consist of going wild on the drums

Post June 4th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Originally posted by TConwell
Are you serious? You Sir, are a complete donkey.

[lol]

That kids awesome!

Post June 5th, 2006, 2:04 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by Edge

Sounds like some kid just going crazy and making quite an annoying racket to me. Most of these drum solos really do sound crap to me, I like drums with a beat, these solos just consist of going wild on the drums

WHAT!? you do this and make it sound as good as that! You can;t just go wild and hit the drums and have it sound like that, if you just go wild and hit the drums, it just sounds like.... you're just going wild... and hitting the drums... [lol] anyway yeah, agreed, but this is still awesome because he's 12 and he does play them extremely fast at some points, and being a death metal fan, that's important [;)]

Post June 5th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

I actually had a vid of him on my myspace for a while, actually I still do. he's a freakin crazy drummer. my parents are lucky because they got to see him live once. yea he totally destroyed my theory that if your legs are strong you'll be able to play double bass faster..... nope. I saw him and just stepped back.

Edge, if you're a drummer, thats a pretty wierd theory of a drum solo you got there. If you don't, honestly I think you should reconsider saying that before you've played drums and learn how hard it is to do what he does. Especially for his age, I mean his rolls are pretty damn good, and on the vid I've seen of him, he got into a beat while soloing, mann it sounded good. Although I can kinda see what you mean. If you're gonna drum, you should do a beat, but solos are where you can just go crazy like that.

Post June 6th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Points on hand: 3,514.00 Points

I like the little section of the solo where he does the beat with the splash cymbals

Post June 6th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Originally posted by SMer

If you're gonna drum, you should do a beat, but solos are where you can just go crazy like that.

Although solos give people an opprotunity to show off, you still would want to make them sound "musical". A well organized solo that sounds good and clean doesn't have to have the craziest fills. If your only focus is to blast off on the set, it'll sound like crap.

Post June 21st, 2006, 12:10 pm

Return to Off Topic Discussion