Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Intamin Plug 'n' PLay terrain woodie!

Intamin Plug 'n' PLay terrain woodie!

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post June 20th, 2006, 1:00 am

Points on hand: 3,415.00 Points

You keep dodging certain questions, I think because you know you're wrong.

I didn't SAY the HILL! I was talking about the BANKED CURVE at the end that YOU claim would NOT work! I want you to tell me how it is ANY different from ET's transitions in the twister section. They both have identical trains, and identical transitions and curves. So.......I'm waiting.

Post June 20th, 2006, 1:03 am

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
Hold your horses, I was getting to it...Its in the post above^

Post June 20th, 2006, 1:08 am
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

wait..... *pushes homie out of the way* [lol]
i wannna do it. did you happen to notice that the hill on nitro was in a photograph taken from a LOOOOOOOONg ways away? even in real life it can be pointed like that, the crest of that hill, the parabola, is still a reasonable length, and rounded , but the track leading in and out of it are much longer, because of the highth. not only is yours too tight, making it look kind of retarted, the bottom of the trains will get all screwed up from skidding out on the tracks,because of the cars you plan to use are too long. you'll get nailed for it no matter what, BUT what you might want to do is LOWER it, this way the lead ins and outs can be shallowere and the crest can be longer and rounded.. as far as banked turns goes.. there's lots of reasons to use banking in a track, but , with the exception of "trick track" , "just because" isn't one of them. underbanking at appropriate moments is great, but reall there shouldn't be anything called "overbanking" there is absolutely no reason for a coaster to bank more than it has to, here's why... banking is used to even out vertical and lateral g forces, period..vith enough velocity a 90 degree banked u turn should have 0 lateral g's that's why these new woodies bank like that they're hitting those tuns at insane speeds.. . another thing is that if you go around a banked turn too slow for its banking it stands to reason that the wheels on the inside of the turn will have to bear more wieght o0f the train than the rest, which will slow it down,of course underbanking will too,and ideally you'd want the ride to ride square on all top wheels as much of the time as possible , but at times lessing the banking can be thrilling in a ride experience.. too much banking sucks.. .

Post June 20th, 2006, 10:05 am

OK, thanks Jayman. You go about it in a much better way than SFMM Homie. I just can't relax until I know why my turn is so different from ET's.

Post June 20th, 2006, 2:18 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

the people who designed el toro are engineers that build real rides for real people, you are some kid with a computer program... what those turns look like and what they really do are two different things.. hades wouldn't bank like that unless they needed it to, nor would el toro. .

Post June 20th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Well I think it's close enough. If in real life, the trains could navigate those turns, I think this ride would be ridable. I mean, there's absolutely no red g's, no collisions, and nothing that would cause major whiplash. I finished all tweaking of the track, I am done with terrain, I just have to customize some supports. Maybe I'll upload a video of just the track, before I add supports.

Post June 20th, 2006, 7:52 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

maybe you should just stop posting here, concentrate on the ride, and post it in a month or so when it's ready.

Post June 20th, 2006, 8:41 pm

A month?!?!?! I'm probably uploading it in the morning! I mean, it's as smooth as I could get it, I finished the terrain, the custom supprts, and most of the trees. All I want to do now is add a queue line, (like the ones Bobcoaster makes), and pick a color for the trains.

I'm actually thinking about making it a cement queue line made up of footers, and then metal handrails. More realistic IMO. At least for the ground section. The ramps leading to and from the station will be wooden planks with wooden handrails.

I have decided that I will probably do an off-ride preview clip so you can get a feel for the speed and layout, but without totally giving the ride away.

Post June 20th, 2006, 8:51 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

um.. just think... a month isn't really that long. and alot can be done to the ride in that much time.. i mean are you in a hurry to get your ride spanked? working quietly and dilegently gets you alot further than braggato and haste.... and then .. your ride is alot less likely to offend people..

Post June 20th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

Originally posted by jayman

hades wouldn't bank like that unless they needed it to, nor would el toro. .

Actually, the 90 degree turn on Hades gives you a great shove to the left in the middle of it, meaning that they actually didn't need to bank it as much as they did to get rid of lats (probably the same with Voyage.) El Toro is a different story though, I'm pretty sure that the turns are fully heartlined and banked exactly how much they need to be. Also Bowserjoe, I doubt that the ride is really as smooth as you could get it, and a month really isn't that long to spend on a coaster. You might be better off spending a little more time on it than rushing to upload it as soon as you can.

Post June 20th, 2006, 10:33 pm

I'm done with the track. I did so much work on the custom supports, that I will NOT mess them up now by screwing with the track. There's no pumps, (at least not noticable), and only a couple *VERY* minor jerks that might throw you to the side a little. But that's what makes a woodie fun! Even El Toro throws you around a little. All I'm saying, is the trackwork may not be 100% perfect, but it's DEFINITELY something a human being could ride in real life.

I am putting a lot of work into the supports, the scenery, and theming so it will maybe be a few days. A week at the most. I had originally planned for tomorrow (Wed), but now I'm shooting for Friday. The media day event will be Friday morning, in which some footage is shot, and then that evening it will open to the public. In toher words, you'll be able to download and ride it on Friday evening. (Yeah, I'm just fantasizing about it being real, that's all!) Hey, maybe someday it will be!

Post June 20th, 2006, 10:47 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

how can we ride it in real life? are we all going to enter the program like tron or something.. wow.. a media event, like the fat asian guy on american idol? is ther "pumps' or not...? if they aren't noticeable then then how do you know they're there? i'm agreeing with homie .. you are sounding WAYYYYY too full of yourself. tone it down a little.. but , that said my friday after work internet session is gonna be something to look foreward to...

Post June 20th, 2006, 11:45 pm

Dude, relax! I was just having some fun, that's all! I like to pretend my rides are real and imagine that I will ride them someday.

And what I meant by the pumps not being noticable, is that you won't see them unless you really try because they are so minute. They wouldn't be noticable in real life and definitely would NOT hurt you in any way. If you concentrate hard enough on the train in front of you, you might catch a couple little flaws if you try, but they do not stand out at all like on my previous two rides. I don't even know if you'd call them pumps. Anyway, enough talk. I'm saving the rest for when I'm done.

Post June 21st, 2006, 12:22 am
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Post June 23rd, 2006, 6:29 pm

Sorry for the delays, guys. I know I promised it would be done tonight, but I was at SFNE riding other coasters all day, so I couldn't finish mine. All I'm working on now is the queue line and some random objects like lightposts and benches and maybe a few more trees. It should be up either tonight or in the morning.

BTW...Queue lines are a PAIN in the ass!

Post June 23rd, 2006, 6:49 pm

Ok, a problem has arisen! I think I'm going to have to scrap ALL my scenery except the trees. Yeah, it sucks but after adding footpaths, a queue, a ferrid wheel, a drop tower, and other rides it's really starting to get choppy. Even with my expensive gaming computer with a top of the line ATI X800 video card and about 2 GB of RAM, it still lags. I don't know why. I wanted my coaster to have the best evironment it could, and after all the work I did getting it to look like an amusement park, it's a shame. But I think it's more important that my coaster runs smoothly so that people can actually get an idea of the ride. I can't even stand to watch it the way it's performing now. Anyone else have this lag problem?

Post June 23rd, 2006, 7:26 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

With woodies, yes.

I'd love to hear about your trip to SFNE in the trip report section so I can compare it to mine. I went on Tuesday if you didn't know.

Post June 23rd, 2006, 8:55 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

o.k.
i'm not a typical computer guy, i built mine out of neccesity, i have 1 gig of ram , and a decent processor, i run pro tools , and can have 24 tracks going with plug in's and everything and i really don't have many problems(reverb can b a problem because of the intense processing it requires, but that's about it)but when it comes to a well decorated wooden coaster i have problems..i have a radeon 9200 something or other ... that's why i don'rt have much scenery in my rides..
what you can do is upload it without the scenery, for those of us who cannot handle it, and post the scene objects somewhere else. except coaster candy is gone so i don't know where. or just post the whole thing and at leasty i'll promise to "look " at everything with al the scenery, but when it comes to riding i'll leave it out.. scenery's nice, but when it comes to rating the ride due to the limitations of my rig, i sometimes have to limit it to ride and supports.. no worries one way or the other , i sure wish i had a computer like yours...

Post June 23rd, 2006, 10:26 pm

Ok, I have yet even MORE bad news. Let's just say I didn't realize that starting the simulator from the editor re-saves and over-writes your current track. I decided I'd "temporarily" delete all scenery objects to see if it got smoother (because I'm stupid and didn't realize you could just turn off scenery). Rode the ride with no scenery and it was still just as choppy. Some days my computer seems to just run slower than others, so I guess that's what it is since ALL other tracks and even other games were doing the same thing. Or else that ride just messed up the whole settings, I don't know.

Anyway, I figured "Oh well, I might as well exit the editor and load the version with all the scenery since that doesn't make it any worse." I knew something was up when I exited the editor and didn't see a "Save changes?" box. Well I re-loaded my ride and guess what? NO SCENERY! That's right, I over-wrote it because of a stupid mistake, and a good 6 hours of planning, and tedious path building are permanently gone. Gone.

I don't even know what to do now. I completely lost any ambition to re-do a whole new midway. Should I attempt to do a new queue line to give it a semi-realistic feeling, or should I just fill in all the space with trees and just scrap all other ideas I had?

I am almost in a depression over this because it's my best coaster I ever made, and I wanted it to have an amazing setting as well. It did have one, but when something like this happens I just don't have the patience or ambition (or memory) to re-do it.

*SIGH*

Post June 23rd, 2006, 10:49 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

http://www.gravimetricstudios.com/softw ... /index.cfm
You could just use the object creator (it's really easy to learn) instead of making things out of footers and supports. It will take way less time. There's even a pretty easy-to-follow tutorial on that same site.

Post June 23rd, 2006, 10:58 pm

Points on hand: 2,200.00 Points

or you could upload or have a few testers, and then if it really is as good as you say it is, you can build the scenery
because theres no real point in putting tons of effort into scenery for a ride that others may not even like.

Post June 23rd, 2006, 11:03 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Post June 23rd, 2006, 11:40 pm

Originally posted by circask8r264

or you could upload or have a few testers, and then if it really is as good as you say it is, you can build the scenery
because theres no real point in putting tons of effort into scenery for a ride that others may not even like.

Yeah, but I want people to see it at it's best the first time, so I don't know what I'll do. Depending on my mood tomorrow and how much time I have, I may attempt to redo my queue line. If I do add rides again though, I'm not making cement paths leading to all them because that was just a pain, and it had a little too much of a carnival look to it. I'll probably just do a simple switchback queue next to the staion, with a ramp leading up. For rides, I'm probably just gonna leave it at a ferris wheel and drop tower, just for that atmosphere.

Oh, and jayman.......I'm not trying to brag, but I think you're also under-estimating. It's understandable since you haven't seen it yet, but I was thinking maybe you'd like to test the ride.....under one condidtion:

You do not say ONE WORD about my coaster before I realease it. If I let you test ride it, you can e-mail me a ride review at bowserjoe333@gmail.com. Once my ride is posted, then you can talk about here. But until then.....SHHHHHH!!!![;)]

I just need your e-mail address if you're interested.

Post June 24th, 2006, 1:37 am

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

Bowser, get an effing scope on reality. You go through the same "My coaster is amazing its so good OMG everyone should praise me" bit for every one of your rides, and they never live up to the hype. I mean, come on, you talk about losing the scenery as if you had done a fall on Phyter-esque 3d effort and it was deleted, when in reality it's just some simple midway. And then you're going crazy about Jayman getting the amazing privilege of secret testing as if everybody desperately wants a sneak peek at your amazing creation, when in reality im willing to bet very few of us could care less wether we can test your coaster or not. You are a good coaster designer, I'll give you that, but you NEED to learn how to market something and generate hype for it without coming across as an egotistical pos. That said, I am somewhat interested in this ride when it comes out, it will be interesting to see if it is in fact very good or not. /endrant

Post June 24th, 2006, 11:08 am
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Well you've certainly killed off one potential rater, maybe two including eman.

PreviousNext

Return to Hard Hat Area