Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions SFMM, Knott's, Disney

SFMM, Knott's, Disney

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post July 5th, 2006, 10:56 am

Points on hand: 2,184.00 Points

Ok so this sunday to the next sunday I will be going to SFMM for 3 days, Knott's for 2 days, and disney for 1. I was wondering what to expect and what minght be open. Thanks for your help.

Post July 5th, 2006, 11:42 am

Points on hand: 2,903.00 Points

I've only been to Knotts, so thats all I can help with.

Like at any park, its best to go on the newest ride/rollercoaster first before many lines. That would be Silver Bullet. After that I would hit up Montezooma's Revenge and Jaguar! Two very good rides. Keep going counter clockwise through the park and get Xcelerator and their boomerang. There are a few good flats around that area so check those out.

Now, once you go to ride Ghostrider, the entrance isnt at the station building. The entrance looks kinda like a rock gateway over by the prelift track. It took me 10 mins to even find it!

Post July 5th, 2006, 11:57 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Ghostrider ... Silver train ... back seat -- the view of the other cars going around at the MCB and into the helix will scare you.

Look at those things bounce! [lol]

Post July 5th, 2006, 12:15 pm

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

SFMM- I'm pretty sure all the main rides are open, they were a week ago. There will be long lines for Tatsu and X, and no lines for the rides on the other side of the park (Scream, Goliath, etc.). Since you have 3 days, I'd recommend going on all the rides on the empty side of the park, and the back, and then if you have time you can hit up Tatsu, X, or Viper. Then it's up to you what you do for the next 2 days, but expect about an hour long wait on Tatsu at the least. (If you're lucky, it might be shorter) Same goes for X, it seems like now that Tatsu's open X has longer lines as well.

KBF- Don't get caught up with planning. You've got 2 days, and the park only takes about a half day to get all the rides done. I'd say go to SB first, ride it 2 or 3 times, then go to Xcelerator and get in as many rides as you'd like, then go to Ghostrider. Ride Ghostrider in the back seat and the front seat, and then if you have time go for the middle too. Then you can go to all the smaller rides and stuff, esp. Jaguar which is a pretty decent Junior, and MR.

DL- Just make sure you get on Space Mountain and BTMRR, those are really the only 2 good rides. Then after those you can worry about the little stuff. There are a lot of enjoyable smaller rides at DL, but the lines for them are often just as long if not longer than those of the coasters, so you might want to choose 2 or 3 of the themed small rides (Mr. Toad's WR, AiW, Peter Pan, etc.)

Post July 5th, 2006, 8:42 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

Originally posted by jcf1

Ok so this sunday to the next sunday I will be going to SFMM for 3 days, Knott's for 2 days, and disney for 1. I was wondering what to expect and what minght be open. Thanks for your help.
... expect to be bored out of your mind by the middle of the second day at magic mountain, unless you end up waiting the whole of the first for the new ride..i can ride everything at magic mountain worth riding (so long as i don't have to hear..iiiii'mmm huuungreeee, i eat a giant breakfast first. ) by 7 oclock the first day. 3 days is rediculously long, as far as knott's goes. i agree with t.j. about ghost rider, verbatum..if you're going so that you can check out what's left of a classic o.c. tourist attraction, then do not miss the log ride or the mine train .. oh, and there's xcellerator and silver bullet too i guess. ..
two days is too long for knott's.if you're just going for rides it ain't gonna take too long. ......... disneyland.. well, if you're just going for rides, i GUESS 1 day will do it, but for goodness sakes 3 days for magic mountain.. it's ALL about the rides there.. nothing spectacular to see otherwise and the flat rides are all run of the mill, knott's still has some museums and neat things to check out that aren't rides, but again 2 days is too long.. in my opinion disneyland is really the only one that warrants more than one day.. there's alot to check out besides rides, and still you can see pretty much all of it in one day , and california adventure.. on a weekday? 5 hours ...tops.... you've got three extra days, 2 if you really think you need more than one day at disney, and there's soooo much else to see here.. but hey have a good time..

Post July 5th, 2006, 11:59 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
Yea youve got all your days mixed up bro. One day at MM, 1/2 day at knotts, 1 day at DCA and DL. You'll get everything done and then some...

Post July 6th, 2006, 1:21 am

Points on hand: 83.00 Points
On the days you go to SFMMN, try to get there before the park opens so You can bolt right when they open the gate and run to the coaster that you want to go on the most so you can ride it before the lines get big.
Wear light clothes becouse its been a blister of a heat wave up here.
You might want to take one of your days at Six Flags and go to Hurricane Harbor.

Since School's still out here, expect long lines.[;)]

Post July 6th, 2006, 7:59 pm
SNJ

Points on hand: 668.00 Points
If I were you(knowing all 3 parks like the back of my hand) this is how I would do it.

Knott's Berry Farm for 1 day.
SFMM for 2 days.
Disneyland for 3 days.

You'll definately need 3 days for Disneyland. Two parks + Crowds = 1 day not enough.

But, I will tell you what to do for the days you have planned.

SFMM: Day 1, first thing you do is run to X. Wait for as long as you have to before they open it, as it is one of the rides that opens later than the park. It could take 10 minutes, it could take 40. Also, be sure you get to the park at 9:15, and wait at the gate until 10. I assure you will be one of the few people at the front of the gate or close to it before the park opens. This helps you get to X sooner(and you don't actually have to run). After you ride X, do what you'd like to do. Note that Viper has long lines in the morning, but later in the day, it becomes almost empty.

Scream has little to no lines at all, Colossus sometimes has a line, but it typically moves rather quickly.

Day 2: Go to Tatsu first thing. After that, continue your day however you'd like.

Day 3: Go to Deja Vu first. I once did this and went on the ride 6 times in a row the line was so short. I went back to it later in the day, and the line was 3 and a half hours. So, it's extremely wise to go to that first. After Deja Vu, go to Riddlers Revenge, then Goliath. Then, do what you'd like.

Knott's
Day 1: If you're in good health, and don't suffer from any back problems, go ride Ghostrider first. Rather rough, but an incredible ride if you don't mind getting tossed around(It's a shame too, that ride used to be amazingly smooth for a woody). Then, goto Silver Bullet. Go in the front for the best ride experience. It's smooth, calm, and fun. Then, goto the Log ride. It's an awesome log ride, and it's very old. I think the "old" factor in the ride makes it that much more fun. Next, go to Xcelerator. If you can, get the front. Note that even if the line for the front looks small, it may take an hour. The line for Xcelerator moves very fast, and the standard line may only take 20 minutes. But then again, this is summer. Anywho, every seat in this ride is a good seat. So, if you don't want to wait for the front, no worries. Then ride Supreme Scream. I LOVE this ride, and this is one of my fav's at the park. It's worth two rides if the line is short.

At this point, do what you please.

Day 2: Go to Perilous Plunge first thing. The line moves slower than a snail in slow motion. Getting the guests in one boat, and then starting it could take anywhere from 5-10 minutes. For one boat. AND, if they're running only 1 boat, lines could reach up to two hours. Since it's summer, I'd advise to go early, and dry off sooner. (Unless, you'd rather wait to near closing time, and pack in the ride at night. I assume the lines would die down at this point, but I am not too sure.) Then, goto Riptide. Try to sit near the middle, on the side facing the building, and not facing Perilous plunge. This side gets more wet, and is more exciting IMO.

After, if you're still up to get wet, head straight to Bigfoot rapids. Then if you're in for a short show, there is one right next to the enterence of Bigfoot rapids. I forget the name of it, but it's not really hard to miss(check the map).

After, I'd head towards Montezumes' Revenge, ride, then Jaguar, ride. Jaguar is a junior coaster, and is not too thrilling, but if the line is short, it's not that bad of a ride.

Disneyland: I advise you get the park hopper. The thing is, it lasts for 3 days, but you could use it for only one.

Anywho: If you're doing the park hopper, this is how I would spend the day.

Start off going into the California Adventure park. Ride Soarin' over California first! When the workers ask how many people are in your party, tell them the number, and ask for the front row. This is a must to enjoy the ride to it's full potential.

After, head towards hollywood. Ride The Hollywood Tower of Terror. Lines move fast, and at this point, it should be fairly short. After, ride the Monsters Inc ride. Then, head back towards Soarin', continue past the ride, and then enter the ride Grizzly River Run. One of the best raft rides, as it features two fun drops. Then, head towards the pier, and ride Mulholland Madness(a wild mouse ride), and then ride Maliboomer. Once those two rides are complete, ride California Screamin'. After that, leave the park, and head towards Disneyland.

Go to Space Mountain, and get the fastpass for that ride. While waiting, ride Buzz Lightyear ride. Even if most of the line is on the outside, don't worry, only about 8 minutes of the line is in the inside. If you still have time, I would go to Matterhorn. Lines may be long for this ride, so watch the time, and don't enter the line without making sure you have time. After Matterhorn, head to space mountain and ride. After, go towards Adventureland, and ride Indiana Jones, Pirates, and then Big Thunder Mountain. After that, head back towards Pirates, and ride Hounted Mansion. Then, get a fastpass for splash mountain if the line is over an hour. From this point on, you may do what you please.

Note, if you going to follow my plan, you don't have to follow it ride by ride. I know you may want to skip out on a few rides, or you may not care for some.

Hopefully I have been helpful, and tell me how your trip went! Have fun!

Post July 6th, 2006, 10:41 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

I too, know the parks like the back of my hand. As well as the tops of my feet.[lol]

1 Day Knotts
1 Day SFMM
2 - 3 Days Disneyland Resort.

Knotts - you should finish all major rides in about half the day. This gives you the whole later half for rerides as well as other things. Reccommended restaurant to eat at... Johnny Rockets. Be advised, its like a normal restaurant meaning you have to sit and dine there, you can't order food and bring it elsewhere.

SFMM Basically hop around the park. I reccommend hitting X first so that way its out of the way and you don't have to worry about it. Along with that, if Tatsu has a large line, then I reccommend fast passes. Everything else is usually fine. But I reccommend Deja Vu in the morning, otherwise the line gets way to long. You can skip psyclone, as its not very thrilling, although if you can fit it in, feel free to go on it. Its not the painful boring POS it once was. THey've retracked it, and its rerideable if that ride suits your fancy.
Riddler's and Goliath should be easy ons and Scream generally is almost all day. Batman is hit and miss as far as lines goes. Sometimes its pretty long, sometimes its not bad at all, but I still reccommend that you go on it. Superman Escape can be completely skipped. The launch is nothing compared to any of the other launched rides in SoCal, and it doesn't really hit 100mph any more. Although it does offer some floater sensation on the verticle pike. Ninja is also fun, and I reccommend you hit that. YOu can't miss Revvy at all though. Ever since its re-open its had a decent sized line. Unfortunately the last couple of times I've been there, they've only ran 1 train for the 2 1/2 minute ride, with load times of 3 minutes, so its a very long wait, so if its like that, you might want to skip it, but if you can, I reccommend getting on it. Viper can be missed. I find that with the horse collar restraints and the horrible transitions, it really tweaks your shoulder out so if you ride, brace yourself. You should have no problem getting on all the rides if you get there at opening and still till closing.
I reccommend eating at Mooseburger lodge.

Disneyland Resort.
Get a 2-3 day park hopper ticket and basically go on what ever suits your fancy. I reccommend getting on all the rides you absolutely need to get on then use the other days to get on other rides, as well as re-rides of your favorites. NOTE: Don't be afraid to try "kiddy rides." You may have more fun on them then what you would think. Try Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or Snow White, as well as the other kiddy looking dark rides. Autopia can be skipped, although if you have the time, I reccommend you at least go on it once. Fast Passes are free and if you don't understand how they work feel free to ask a cast member, they are EXTREMELY knowledgable and will help you. They aren't like most park employees who just sit there picking thier noses not knowing what the hell they're doing.
Reccommended Foods: Get there at park opening and get a reservation at "Cafe New Orleans" for dinner or something. It just opend up with the re-opening of pirates of the Carribean. (Another note, even though pirates looks like it has a long line, its not longer then 30 minutes. DO NOT LET IT DISCOURAGE YOU)
Also haunted mansion added some new effects into the haunted mansion so I reccommend that. Snow White show can be missed, but you can't miss Fantasmic or the Fireworks. I also reccommend seeing the "Main Street Electrical Parade" at DCA. They have a brochure with the show times at the main gate right next to where you get the maps at.
As for eating lunch, Red Rockets Pizza in Tommarrowland or Village Haus in Fantasy land are always a personal favorite of mine.

And those are my tips to enjoying your time to the fullest.

Post July 7th, 2006, 1:18 am
SNJ

(Another note, even though pirates looks like it has a long line, its not longer then 30 minutes. DO NOT LET IT DISCOURAGE YOU)

This is true. I've been in the line when it has been past the enterence, and it was only about 20 minutes. Since the ride itself is over 15 minutes long, they have possibly over 30 boats on the ride. And you can pack a good number of people on the ride. The capacity is extremely high for this ride.(But wait, it may be longer because it has been "updated" recently) This is true for most disney rides too.

Well, most. Not all.

(Im holding a loaded shotgun)

*gulps*

Post July 7th, 2006, 3:31 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^ i went last week and this week to disneyland, its not too much longer. Even if the line is out by main street (which it has been) it isn't longer then 60 minutes. Which is really amazing, to tell you the truth.

Post July 7th, 2006, 3:55 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

No you'll have to use those rounds on Edge instead.

Post July 7th, 2006, 4:20 am
SNJ

Originally posted by coolbeans326

^ i went last week and this week to disneyland, its not too much longer. Even if the line is out by main street (which it has been) it isn't longer then 60 minutes. Which is really amazing, to tell you the truth.

ALL THE WAY TO MAINSTREET? Oh my God. That is incredible. And it was only 60 minutes?

I'm impressed. The capacity is greater than I imagined.

Post July 7th, 2006, 6:47 am

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
I never have scheduled my park visits, i think it spoils it.
Just go and have fun god damn it!

Post July 7th, 2006, 6:51 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Unless of course, the park is celebrating some sort of, shall we say, "gathering of people with a common belief" ... then sometimes, it is not as fun as one would think. [lol]
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions