Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Microsoft's 'anybody' XNA

Microsoft's 'anybody' XNA

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post August 15th, 2006, 3:09 am

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

Supposedly MS is releasing a developing platform for game creation that is open to anyone. It's designed to eliminate the problem of burned-out developers and fewer programmers coming out of college. They say you can develop anything from pacman to halo 2 with it. In terms of publishing, PC games created with it are published for free, but to publish xbox games, you must pay $99/a year to be a part of MS's Creators Club.

It sounds like an interesting idea to me. Honestly I'd love to make a game but the time and training I'd need to do it are too great, so naturally I myself would see this thing as a good idea. The only thing I'd have concerns about is that, maybe I don't want to develop for the Xbox or PC. Maybe I want to make a game for the Wii or the PS3.

You can read more on it here

Post August 15th, 2006, 9:12 am

Points on hand: 2,125.00 Points

I'd love to make my own game for the 360. I'm buying my 360 in a few weeks and it'd be awesome to make my own game like GTA but for the XBOX

Post August 15th, 2006, 12:58 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Well, why would they want you to develop a game for a platform which they have no control over? This is more incentive for buying thier product.[;P]

Post August 15th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

I can see this going to universities and helping new developers, but not to a general public. Not a lot of people can program a game like Halo 2 by themselves let alone a small group of friends. But that's just being picky.

I think it's a good idea. I can see it helping indie developers in the future.

Post August 15th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
The idea is to streamiline the whole process of making a game. Its all part of an effort to make games quicker and allow the designer to focus on design rather than programing.

Lets just hope the quality of games gets a nice boost from this.

Post August 15th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Post August 15th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

My question now is...

Why is their a repeated car crash during the commercial?[:p]

Post August 15th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

Originally posted by Z00Z3R

I can see this going to universities and helping new developers, but not to a general public. Not a lot of people can program a game like Halo 2 by themselves let alone a small group of friends. But that's just being picky.

I think it's a good idea. I can see it helping indie developers in the future.

keep in mind this is not just for xbox games. it is designed to work for both console and pc games, and if Ole and the rest of the dev team are just a group of [possible] friends making a game, the possibilites are open

Return to Off Topic Discussion