Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Trip to DC!

Trip to DC!

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Trip to DC!

SFGadv
55%
Hershey
45%

Total votes : 22

Post September 12th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
Hey guys, In about 24 hours I leave on my trip to the DC area. I am planning on doing a side trip on the last day to either Great Adventure or Hershey. I'm honestly completely split with my decision. Great Adventure would offer a better coaster set, but the lines will probably be longer, along with worse service. Hershey has the nice park experience and feel, along with some gem coasters... So what should it be?

(Time is of the essence for your opinion)

Post September 12th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

Great Adventure does have some great coasters (I've never been there though) but based on my experiences at Six Flags, you problably want to go to Hershey. In one day you should be able to go on all of the major rides there at least twice each, and the atmosphere is way better there than at any Six Flags. Storm Runner alone would be enough to get me there for the day, even though El Toro does look really fun.

Post September 12th, 2006, 8:23 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Well, SFGadv has both El Toro, Nitro, and Kingda Ka.
While Hershey park would probably have nicer employees, everything else, all they really have as far as a stand out ride goes is Storm RUnner. Their other coasters, based off of looks, and other things, look pretty good, but not as good as what the SFGadv set looks to offer. Personally, I'd choose SFGadv.

Post September 12th, 2006, 10:43 pm

Points on hand: 1,600.00 Points
no lines this time of the year so go with grat adventure

Post September 12th, 2006, 10:51 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

also, make sure both parks are open when you go[;)]

Post September 12th, 2006, 11:19 pm

Originally posted by hyperdude

Well no lines would also apply to Hershey...[approve]

Post September 13th, 2006, 12:22 am

Points on hand: 3,231.00 Points

It depends on what your going for. If you want "Atmosphere" then go to Hershey. If your looking for thrill then definately GAdv. It has one mean woodie and it has intense airtime.

Post September 13th, 2006, 2:33 am

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
It depends if you want to ride El Toro or Storm Runner. I would go for Toro[;)]
Coaster count: 153
Moving to Singapore in july!

Post September 13th, 2006, 6:20 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Well, Hershey has 3 great woodies too, so it's not like you'd be missing out on nice wood! Also, SR definetly owns Ka, and theres a terrain invert along with a Schwarzy looper. It's a tough decision.

Post September 13th, 2006, 7:57 am

Points on hand: 1,600.00 Points
Originally posted by SFMM homie

Originally posted by hyperdude

Well no lines would also apply to Hershey...[approve]

but would you want to go on mediocre rides over and over again (and storm runner, too), or would you like to get on some great thrillers once and again? that's why i recommend sfgadv

Post September 13th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Points on hand: 643.00 Points

Well these are the notables at SFGAdv in my opinion:
1. El Toro (one of the best, if not THE best coaster I have been on)
2. Nitro
3. Kingda Ka
4. Batman and Robin: The Chiller, but I'm not sure if that's open

Compared to Hersheypark:
1. Storm Runner
2. Great Bear
3. Lightning Racer

That's my opinion, and others may think differently. Personally, Great Adventure for me, but Hersheypark has the better atmosphere, but that's not my main purpose to go to parks. Again, you may think differently.

Post September 13th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

Post September 13th, 2006, 2:12 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Personally, Great Adventure for me, but Hersheypark has the better atmosphere, but that's not my main purpose to go to parks. Again, you may think differently.

I always factor in the better atmosphere because the better atmosphere really can make an experience more enjoyable. For example, I like Knotts Berry Farm better then SFMM. Why? Because sometimes I just get so fed up with the way things are running at SFMM that KBF slightly better service and smaller coaster count is still more fun to me then 14 roller coasters that take forever to get on.

Post September 13th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Points on hand: 1,895.00 Points
Originally posted by Nosferatu

It depends if you want to ride El Toro or Storm Runner. I would go for Toro[;)]

Or if you want to go on Kingda Ka or Great Bear. You choose.

Post September 13th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

the thing with GAdv is that even when there's not that many people, you still have lines. its just that kinda park. so (I was talkin to him last night) he gets 5-10 rides on SR, or maybe one - if he's lucky two - rides on el toro with KK subject to not even be open, and what do you travel across the country to do? ride the coasters you go for. There's just not a good enough chance that he'll actually get what he wants at GAdv

Post September 13th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys, I still havent decided yet... Its really just going to come down to me flipping a coin i'm sure. It's too hard of a choice, both have advantages...

T-Minus: 3 hours!

Post September 13th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Points on hand: 643.00 Points

Lemme put it this way: Hersheypark is a GT car-it goes fast when you want to, and its comfortable when you need it. SFGAdv is more like a track car-it's really fast, but can be really uncomfortable. You may not be able to drive it everyday, but it will get your heart pumping faster than a GT car.

That's the best way I can put it, I think..

But sometimes SFGAdv can have a nice atmosphere too. Last time I went, sll of the rides were running pretty smoothly, especially El Toro and Nitro. Even though it didn't have as much of a family feel like Hersheypark, it was still very enjoyable. The staff was surprisingly happy, especially the ride-ops.

Whatever. They both have their strong and weak points, but I am still choosing SFGAdv.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions