Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Microsoft Zune: An iPod Killer?

Microsoft Zune: An iPod Killer?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post September 29th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

This is only to discuss the Zune. Please, leave any discussion/personal opinions about other models, brands, etc out of this thread.

A Little About the Product
So Microsoft announced their new portable media player, the Zune. It's basically everything the iPod has except a bigger screen w/ landscape and portrait modes. I dunno how it compares in battery life, but the storage size comes in 30gb and nothing else that I'm aware of. Judging from the screens that show the interface, it looks pretty sleek, easy to use, and most likely XP Media Edition based.

Specs and stuff:
It takes WMV, MPEG-4, and H.264 for video and all the rest for audio and pictures. As of now, it comes in 3 colors and one storage size (30gb). I haven't seen a price, but if anyone knows one... there's a reply button.

Here's a screen:

Post September 29th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

Honestly I think the iPod will still rule because the zunes control button looks way to small, also I have heard the battery is horrible on this thing.

Post September 29th, 2006, 8:16 pm

^^I dunno the buttons don't look THAT small, and I mean, its hard to tell what it'll actually be like when you're actually holding it from the pics given.

Post September 29th, 2006, 9:38 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Sorry, Apple has clearly already established a very firm and aggressive campaign in this department. Microsoft owns the rest of the technology industry, they're getting too greedy.

I don't like the design, lacks a professional appearance and looks too much like a toy. Not to mention the 80GB are about that size if not smaller, and look alot sexier IMO. Why brown?

Post September 29th, 2006, 9:50 pm

^oh yea, cause everyone wants to have their stuff look professional

Post October 2nd, 2006, 8:02 am

Points on hand: 1,907.00 Points

Originally posted by SixFlagsFiesta

idk, how small can the make the blue screen of death?

I own a PC with microsoft windows, and I have NEVER had the bluescreen. I have heard about it, but apple is clearly using false advertising if they are talking about this so called "blue screen"
sry about the rambling
This Zube or wtvr looks really cool. The interface looks better than the ipod, and i HATE the clickwheel so much so this will probably be a much better supplement. The only factor i'm worried about is how easy it is to use with the computer. The ipods are so easy, but if this zune is easier or just as easy, or even a little bit harder, i'll definitely get it (depending on the price)

also i like the brown

Post October 2nd, 2006, 8:25 am

Points on hand: 1,600.00 Points
microsoft didn't build in enough expandabillity into this player imo

they restrict it to URGE and only for windows, and the wifi capabilities are lacking and stupid
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/02/zune ... s-for-now/

it looks ugly, and has a fake scroll wheel

microsoft (toshiba made it) did a pathetic job

way to go, another product sucks because of microsoft

Post October 2nd, 2006, 9:11 am

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Originally posted by EyeKanFly

Originally posted by SixFlagsFiesta

idk, how small can the make the blue screen of death?

I own a PC with microsoft windows, and I have NEVER had the bluescreen. I have heard about it, but apple is clearly using false advertising if they are talking about this so called "blue screen"
sry about the rambling
This Zube or wtvr looks really cool. The interface looks better than the ipod, and i HATE the clickwheel so much so this will probably be a much better supplement. The only factor i'm worried about is how easy it is to use with the computer. The ipods are so easy, but if this zune is easier or just as easy, or even a little bit harder, i'll definitely get it (depending on the price)

also i like the brown

my school teachers and i (at home) are having a LOT of trouble with the "blue screen" [i think it's a driver problem, or so the blue screen says] i believe it's when you install too many drivers on your computer. sometimes when i play a game it shuts down and it appears or if i plug in my camera and open something it appears. even when i open my FirstClass Software [required for school] it appears.

in the digital art lab (all Mac OS-X) are able to handle a lot more drivers for iPods, Camera's, videocameras, etc. so i expect it not to have driver problems.

however, i could be wrong

as for the Zune. it looks like a portable radio. and it doesn't look as good as the iPod's do and i think the iPod's screen is just right for one person to watch on

Post October 2nd, 2006, 9:19 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
If the battery life is horrible on this thing then it'll be just as bad as an iPod.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post October 2nd, 2006, 1:10 pm

lol actually I really don't even care about either one anymore, I just bought a Zen Vision: W [:)]

Return to Off Topic Discussion