Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion iPhone

iPhone

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post July 3rd, 2007, 10:59 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

Yeah I'll definitely buy the new ipod if it's just an iphone without the phone or internet stuff. None of the new video ones have seemed worth buying as long as my two year old "black and white" one still works, I can't see it lasting much longer though.

Post July 4th, 2007, 3:30 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

Post July 4th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

Post July 5th, 2007, 12:19 am

Points on hand: 2,601.00 Points

re: iPhone costs $599 when only $300 in parts

...and the years of research, development, and testing of the thing were free, suppose?

Seriously, when you buy a car, you pay FAR more than the sum price of its parts. You pay for the parts, the assembly, the research and development of its features, the cost to transport it from the factory to your dealer, the medical plan for everyone who worked at the factory that made it, their salaries, their union dues, and the outrageous sum that the CEO and board of directors pull down as well.

EVERY product out there includes in its cost a crapload of stuff over and above the cost of the actual parts needed to make it.

Welcome to real life. Sucks that your Utopia didn't pan out for ya.
My body isn't a temple. It's an amusement park.

Post July 5th, 2007, 2:33 am

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

Originally posted by minicoopertx

...and the years of research, development, and testing of the thing were free, suppose?

Seriously, when you buy a car, you pay FAR more than the sum price of its parts. You pay for the parts, the assembly, the research and development of its features, the cost to transport it from the factory to your dealer, the medical plan for everyone who worked at the factory that made it, their salaries, their union dues, and the outrageous sum that the CEO and board of directors pull down as well.

EVERY product out there includes in its cost a crapload of stuff over and above the cost of the actual parts needed to make it.

The PS3 costs what, ?????????400, but it costs sony more than ?????????700(or more, im not sure) to make one.
Good old japs, always sarcificing themselves for the better of others XD
Rarwh

Post July 5th, 2007, 2:40 am

Points on hand: 523.00 Points

Post July 5th, 2007, 2:41 am

and accesories, but at least they are not charging us ?????????700 was my point
Rarwh

Post July 5th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Points on hand: 69.00 Points
Originally posted by minicoopertx

I understand your point because I just got a new honda and I cant believe how much I payed for it.

But what I dont understand is how we are paying for shipping for each iPhone from the factory to the store. Its not like they are shipping each one seperate. But thats just me.. I guess im just going to wait until the price goes down.[8D]

Post July 5th, 2007, 5:34 pm

shipping costs are $2000 for a standard 20ft container, how many iphone's can u fit in a 20ft container, 37,000 by my calculations, so thats a shipping cost of $0.05 per phone, shipping is not an issue.

(yes i have no life)
Rarwh

Post July 7th, 2007, 11:59 pm

Points on hand: 2,601.00 Points

Originally posted by Casper

shipping costs are $2000 for a standard 20ft container, how many iphone's can u fit in a 20ft container, 37,000 by my calculations, so thats a shipping cost of $0.05 per phone, shipping is not an issue.

(yes i have no life)

Well, since you have no life, why don't you re-calculate how many phones you can get in a 20ft container, keeping in mind that each phone comes in a box that is roughly 6 X 3 X 3.5", then there are the cases that they come in (each case's cardboard thickness comes into play here) plus any packing material that goes into the crate. Now, this container goes from the factory to a shipping hub. There it is unpacked, and the cases sorted to different trucks. Those trucks then deliver them to the individual stores, where they are inventoried and stocked.

So you aren't just paying for the transportation of the 20ft container, you're also paying for all the other transportation that the phones get between the point where they are unpacked from the container and the end store.

Frankly, I think it's funny that people are so up in arms over the cost of the phone. It will last for a long time and provide a lot of use and entertainment. By contrast, a ticket for Harry Potter IMAX is $12 for less than 3 hours of entertainment. A ticket to Disneyland is more than $50 for one day of entertainment. A ticket for a Vegas Cirque du Soleil show can run up to $150 for about 2 hours of entertainment.

Looking at it that way, it's a bargain!
[;)]
My body isn't a temple. It's an amusement park.

Post July 8th, 2007, 2:35 am

My dear, do i think i am that stupid not to think of the packaging? But since u gave me those figrues, and checked again, it workes out now at around 40,000 boxes of iphones.

*pats head*

[ If u think this is a huge number, think that over half a million cigarette packets fit into a 20ft container ]
Rarwh

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion