Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Climate change!?

Climate change!?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post July 13th, 2007, 8:07 am

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Everybody here in joburg thinks the end of the world is near because it snowed a few days ago over the entire northern district of South-Africa.

Here are a few pictures of Gold Reef City theme park the next morning:

I don??????t believe in this ??????Global Warming?????? blah?????? Doesn??????t nature always fix an inequality? We are natural beings, supposed to be here on earth, aren??????t we?

What??????s you??????re opinion?

Post July 13th, 2007, 9:35 am

Points on hand: 872.00 Points
Lets see, snow in south africa and argentina, extreme heat and dryness in the US, almost no sun and way to much rain in europe...

yes, climate is changing! El gore was right....even if it is for the first time in his life.

Post July 13th, 2007, 9:46 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points

The world isnt gonna blow up, trust me. GOd made the earth and when he wants to get rid of it He will.
"If looks could kill I'd be a dead man."

Post July 13th, 2007, 9:55 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

The reason that the governments give for global warming is a complete lie. The Earth might be warming up, but there is no real proof that humans are the main cause of it.

Over millions of years the Earth has cooled off and warmed multiple times. It is a natural cycle.

And RcT- Crazy, not all of the USA is in extreme heat and dryness. Of course the portions that are deserts are, but some parts actually do not need any more rain at all!

Post July 13th, 2007, 10:42 am

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Originally posted by RCT-3-Crazy

almost no sun and way to much rain in europe...

[lol] Whats new?

Post July 13th, 2007, 11:29 am

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

its hailing like crazy right now where i live in new york... i cant even see 100 feet across the pond i live on... and it was 90*'s yesterday...

Post July 13th, 2007, 12:21 pm

Points on hand: 636.00 Points
up here in maine we've been having terrible weather. if it's not raining, then it's only 60-75 degrees. although today has been a nice change. 80 degrees.

Post July 13th, 2007, 1:03 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

In Texas it has been raining almost every single day. And it hasn't let up.
It used to be a dry oven and Texas would be damaged by drought in the summer.
But now it just rains and rains.

Post July 13th, 2007, 1:54 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

everyone knows that global warming started in november of 2000. ya see if we'd all voted for al gore we wouldn't be facing this catastrophe

Post July 13th, 2007, 10:44 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points

^lol you're joking right?
"If looks could kill I'd be a dead man."

Post July 13th, 2007, 10:45 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

No, he's not joking! I agree with Jayman!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post July 13th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

Originally posted by Canadmos

The reason that the governments give for global warming is a complete lie. The Earth might be warming up, but there is no real proof that humans are the main cause of it.

Over millions of years the Earth has cooled off and warmed multiple times. It is a natural cycle.

And RcT- Crazy, not all of the USA is in extreme heat and dryness. Of course the portions that are deserts are, but some parts actually do not need any more rain at all!

Thing is, now temperatures are deviating beyond the standard deviation of the previous flunctuations. Therin liese the crux of the dilemma, whether you believe this is just by some chance that now when we are hee it is flunctuating more, or if we in fact have caused or influenced it in some way through pollution etc.

Post July 14th, 2007, 1:33 am

Points on hand: 3,245.00 Points

Anybody who denies human effect on the environment and climate is completely retarded. it may not be quite as dramatic as some like to say it is, but it's better to overestimate than it is to turn a shoulder until the last second.

Post July 14th, 2007, 1:49 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by bicoastalkid

Anybody who denies human effect on the environment and climate is completely retarded. it may not be quite as dramatic

If by dramatic you mean virtually null.

I am still rather torn by this issue as a great percentage of all c02 released is released in volcanic and other "natural" activities, not from fossil fuels. Also The upper 90% of greenhouse gases are water vapor (THOSE BASTARD CLOUDS ARE IT AGAIN!), I wanna say 97% but I don't feel like looking it up now. Additionally since it took approximately 20 years for the ice from the last ice age to melt (BAMF flooding), people don't seem to realize that the climate doesn't slowly change like many are saying, but that it happens in catastrophic flips.

Additionally, MANY more things affect climate. A good expmple would be the rates of new crustal formation in divergent zones, faster the crust creation, the more water is displaced, which creates higher see levels (see the Cretacious times).

It's a VERY complicated issue I and everyone else on this site can't even begin to pretend to understand, so lets let the actual people that know a quarter of a damn that have PhD's and the like do the talking instead of a bunch of kids who think they know something because they watched a CNN special.

Ya'll might want to look up global dimming while you're at it too...
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 14th, 2007, 1:51 am
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

no, really, the main cause of global warming is republicans. it's all their fault. ever since richard nixon started the civil war.
i think global dimming definitely needs to be addressed, but only after we solve global warming, and that peace thing or whatever

Post July 14th, 2007, 2:38 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Global warming, or climate change, is what dirty hippies think will happen in the future. No one has ever actually seen global warming, pointing to the fact that said hippies probably imagined it while on LSD. All we have to do is keep burning shiz, and we'll have enough carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to really change things.

Post July 14th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Points on hand: 3,245.00 Points

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Originally posted by bicoastalkid

Anybody who denies human effect on the environment and climate is completely retarded. it may not be quite as dramatic

If by dramatic you mean virtually null.

I am still rather torn by this issue as a great percentage of all c02 released is released in volcanic and other "natural" activities, not from fossil fuels. Also The upper 90% of greenhouse gases are water vapor (THOSE BASTARD CLOUDS ARE IT AGAIN!), I wanna say 97% but I don't feel like looking it up now. Additionally since it took approximately 20 years for the ice from the last ice age to melt (BAMF flooding), people don't seem to realize that the climate doesn't slowly change like many are saying, but that it happens in catastrophic flips.

Additionally, MANY more things affect climate. A good expmple would be the rates of new crustal formation in divergent zones, faster the crust creation, the more water is displaced, which creates higher see levels (see the Cretacious times).

It's a VERY complicated issue I and everyone else on this site can't even begin to pretend to understand, so lets let the actual people that know a quarter of a damn that have PhD's and the like do the talking instead of a bunch of kids who think they know something because they watched a CNN special.

Ya'll might want to look up global dimming while you're at it too...

Yes yes yes.
I'm not saying human pollution is the only thing causing change, but I can't help but feel we're kind of accelerating certain things. Everything in nature somehow relates to another, so it seems logical to think that if we influence one part, a lot of others would be affected as well. I agree that to discuss particulars would be pointless, but even with limited knowledge you can still come to logical conclusions.

Regardless of whether or not we are contributing anything significant, there should still be a drive to decrease pollution in general. Recycling, renewable resources, so forth and so on.

Post July 14th, 2007, 4:34 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Global warming is the act of the atmosphere heating up. It is in fact heating up.. but how much can WE actually do about it? I guess it would be best to try and limit our destruction against what is naturally in the enviornment... but how much are we actually ruining the enviornment? I have no idea.. and Im not going to pretend I know. This could all be a natural change in the enviornment for all we know.

Post July 14th, 2007, 11:21 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Post July 15th, 2007, 2:32 am

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

My fat art teacher made us watch global warming videos. He said the charts related to art.wtf right. O well im a democrat when I grow up Al Gore knows his shiz.

Post July 15th, 2007, 11:13 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Yeah I mean he isn't a meteorologist or a geologist. He totally knows what is going on.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 15th, 2007, 11:22 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
^LOL So true...

And how can you not be a democrat now, but will when you grow up? When you get there, make up your mind. Dont do it now. Or, make it up now and stick to it.

Im somewhat agreeing with Rock here. I think we are influencing it...but how much? I dont fully believe in our history dating because I highly doubt we have figured out enough techniques to properly make assumptions about what happened before we recorded weather in this modern era. Climate shifts could and probably happened more often than we think but we didnt record every little minute detail.

Heck, weve heard about all this hurricane crap once we had a couple bad years and suddenly things got quieter. I dont think an increase over even 50 years warrants a trend when they claim to know what the weather patterns have been like for thousands and possibly millions. Its a blip on the radar if even that.

Post July 15th, 2007, 11:22 am
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

oughta be small beans compared to inventing the internet.

Post July 15th, 2007, 12:52 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Hmmmm... Constant rain and clouds in Europe.... I've been in Italy for 3 days and still have not seen a single cloud.

Post July 15th, 2007, 12:58 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion