Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Ahhh Hockey!

Ahhh Hockey!

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post November 21st, 2007, 1:47 am

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

I just started playing hockey again for the first time in 3 years(?). I forgot how much fun it is. Anyone else play?

Post November 21st, 2007, 1:57 am

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

Post November 21st, 2007, 2:30 am

Points on hand: 58.00 Points

I haven't played in years but I was pretty good when I was younger. Can't handle the puck well but I can skate better than most.

Post November 21st, 2007, 2:37 am

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

Hockey's almost always a great sport to watch, but I'm terrible at skating so I've never even tried playing.

Post November 21st, 2007, 3:46 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by ragan

Yup.

Greatest sport on ice [:D]

Uhh Curling. Duh.

Post November 21st, 2007, 5:46 am

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points

Yup.

Cus its not good enough to compete with any other sports, lol.

Post November 21st, 2007, 9:07 am

Points on hand: 636.00 Points
Hockey is only the greatest sport out there. It also requires more skill than most other sports.

Post November 21st, 2007, 12:24 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

Originally posted by Real

Yup.

Uhh Curling. Duh.

DEFINATLY! and skeleton is better than both those... flying head first on a little sled at 80 mph rocks!

Post November 21st, 2007, 12:49 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Too bad not many people have access to a luge track. [:P]

Hockey is awesome.

In my home town, population of about 75000 people, there are at least 8 full size hockey rinks and 2 smaller training rinks that can operate year round.

Simply put, hockey is like a religion around here. Infact, last night at about 9:30pm there was a game of pickup hockey on my street. I was going to go ask to join in, but it started to rain. [:(!]

Post November 21st, 2007, 1:29 pm

Points on hand: 3,002.00 Points

Hockey, luge, skelton(sp?), curling what ever i like it all.
Trim breaks are your enemy, retracking/smoothing is your friend. I miss b&m floored sit downs. coaster count=39

Post November 21st, 2007, 4:33 pm

Originally posted by Canadmos

Hockey is awesome.

In my home town, population of about 75000 people, there are at least 8 full size hockey rinks and 2 smaller training rinks that can operate year round.

Simply put, hockey is like a religion around here. Infact, last night at about 9:30pm there was a game of pickup hockey on my street. I was going to go ask to join in, but it started to rain. [:(!]

You're near Toronto Ontario Canada. It is definitely more than a religion. lol. I'd love to live in or near Toronto. So much ice [8D]

Des Moines, Iowa has technically 4 sheets of ice in a total population of over 500,000. We have one at our sports arena (no or very limited access to GP), a 100 foot sheet outdoors that is for public skaters, and than two full time ice rinks. It sucks. It is impossible to play hockey on ice everyday. In Canada, I am sure you don't have that problem. [:P]

At any rate though, hockey = awesome, and best sport all around, not just on ice. [:D]

Post November 21st, 2007, 5:17 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

true, the one perk about living in an old olympic town..! haha, in the middle of nowhere, no theme parks, closet is great escape at 1 hr 30 min. but at least i've gbobsled/skeleton/luge track! :)

Post November 21st, 2007, 5:29 pm

Ragan, yeah there are tons of opportunities to play hockey on ice here, without actually having to pay or join a proper league.

My town just built a new sports complex that includes one Olympic sized rink and 3 NHL sized rinks. I know that it only costs about $3 to go and play hockey during their alloted times. [:D]

On the two smaller rinks you can sign up for 3-on-3 pond style hockey. LOTS of fun!

Hockey/Skating is such an everyday thing here in my town, that they don't even rent skates for the public skating times.

LOL, I remember a few years ago when my high school decided to buy some trees instead of having a football team one year. Of course, the hockey team still played like usual. [lol]

The ultimate and most fun hockey in my opinion is playing out on a cleared off pond or lake. Nothing beats that! Except for when you shoot the puck and it goes sliding off into the snow somewhere... [:(]

Post November 21st, 2007, 5:33 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

^[lol]

And garrett, don't talk because you've never even been to a real hockey game. Lol you play street hockey, which is a dumb game IMO. I don't see how it could be anywhere near as much fun when you have to worry about all that traction you get with roller skates. Ice hockey FTW

And it really is a shame that there isn't a lot of access to the sport, even though it does seem to be growing around here at least (DC).

Post November 21st, 2007, 5:43 pm

I think roller blade hockey is pretty fun. The only thing I hate about roller blades is stopping.

It is definitely not quite the same as playing on ice, but it isn't dumb in my eyes..

BTW, you should definitely resize your signature SMer. [;)]

Post November 21st, 2007, 8:49 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Played for long time -- love to watch it as well ... GO PENS!

Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post November 22nd, 2007, 5:22 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I've never played it, unfortunately, it's the one "American version of an English sport" that I find greatly entertaining. It's an awesome sport!

Unfortunately, there's not a particularly big market for it over here, the only half way decent team over here are Coventry Blaze, who suck in comparison to even the worst NHL teams [lol]

Flyers FTW!

Post December 7th, 2007, 12:49 am

Ragan, yeah there are tons of opportunities to play hockey on ice here, without actually having to pay or join a proper league.

My town just built a new sports complex that includes one Olympic sized rink and 3 NHL sized rinks. I know that it only costs about $3 to go and play hockey during their alloted times. [:D]

Uber bump.

You suck....and where can I sign up? [:D]

You're TO right? Or somewhere in that general area?

Post December 7th, 2007, 2:15 am

Points on hand: 2,400.00 Points

Canada is the place to go for Hockey, rink in every town, that's all old guys ever do is watch hockey and talk about it on their lunch breaks at work.

Kind of pathetic, no?

But yeah, it's definitely one of the better sports to watch and I like street hockey, I just can't skate, and it's definitely a downfall lol.

Post December 7th, 2007, 9:40 am

^You call yourself a Canadian, but you don't know how to skate? What the hell is wrong with you?

@Ragan, I am actually just North of Toronto in a town called Newmarket;
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.0 ... &z=12&om=1

Post December 8th, 2007, 12:22 am

and newmarket is this town that just got these awesome rinks?

Return to Off Topic Discussion