Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Windigo - Intamin Rocket

Windigo - Intamin Rocket

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post October 23rd, 2007, 2:37 pm

Points on hand: 136.00 Points

I started working on this back in April as Project Chaos, but that thread is somewhere on page 20 so I figured I might as well open a new topic.

NLDC: http://www.nolimitsdevcenter.net/p3404

Trackwork is finished, now all it needs is supports and some terraforming (and a custom environment and cartexture if I have enough spare time left)

Comments are always welcome [:)]
Last edited by ExTraxYz on October 29th, 2007, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 23rd, 2007, 2:52 pm

Points on hand: 905.00 Points

It seems a tad bit too long for a realistic coaster. I would say that 1,000 meters is pushing it. Storm Runner isn't even 800 meters and Kinda Ka is just at 950.

I do like the look of the track so far. The station looks quite nice too.

Post October 29th, 2007, 11:30 am

Originally posted by Iron Man

It seems a tad bit too long for a realistic coaster. I would say that 1,000 meters is pushing it. Storm Runner isn't even 800 meters and Kinda Ka is just at 950.

You're right about the length being quite unrealistic, but most people think almost all Rocket Coasters are way too short. I'm not sure if I will upload it as realistic, since the capacity is also extremely low for a ride this size.

Right now I'm struggling with the supports. They went from

to

but I'm still not very statisfied with it..

Post October 30th, 2007, 12:26 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Length has no impact whatsoever on realism.

Post October 30th, 2007, 12:36 am

Points on hand: -1,299.00 Points
Bank: 1,430.56 Points

Post October 30th, 2007, 1:21 am

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
Originally posted by IntaminFan397

Length has no impact whatsoever on realism.

Well I wouldnt say it that exact. Can I Make a 20,000 feet long woodie with 4 lifts lasting 14 minutes and have it be realistic?

Post October 30th, 2007, 1:22 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
I disagree with Intaminfan to an extent. Yeah it can be done theoretically, but considering most rockets are very short as noted by Iron Man. I think that's one of the defining features that at least generally shape the Rocket Coaster style, therefore to be as realistic as possible one should try to keep the track length within certain bounds near those set by real rides. Would you consider a 10000 foot 20 lift kiddy coaster realistic? I *guess* you could (and that's an extreme example, much more extreme than this ride), but more logically speaking it's not exactly realistic.

So yeah, length generally affects realism for me, but isn't everything when trying to determine whether a ride is realistic.

This looks good to me overall, I like that most of the shaping looks good. Not too fond of hill shaping toward the end, looks real pointy for an Intamin, but the rest seems well done.

Curious, what technique did you use to build this? Some kinda looks like elementary shaping but other features would be tough to do with Elementary from what I've seen, so I was just wondering about that.

I like what I see, and I'm looking forward to it being finished and released!

Post October 30th, 2007, 6:17 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Originally posted by SFMM homie

Well I wouldnt say it that exact. Can I Make a 20,000 feet long woodie with 4 lifts lasting 14 minutes and have it be realistic?

I shouldn't have worded it exactly like that, but I think the length of a coaster similar to your example being realistic or not is a moot point. Right now I would say that something that long is unrealistic, but I'd have to think about it more.

Originally posted by dcs221

I disagree with Intaminfan to an extent. Yeah it can be done theoretically, but considering most rockets are very short as noted by Iron Man. I think that's one of the defining features that at least generally shape the Rocket Coaster style, therefore to be as realistic as possible one should try to keep the track length within certain bounds near those set by real rides. Would you consider a 10000 foot 20 lift kiddy coaster realistic? I *guess* you could (and that's an extreme example, much more extreme than this ride), but more logically speaking it's not exactly realistic.

So yeah, length generally affects realism for me, but isn't everything when trying to determine whether a ride is realistic.

I think there are two different ways to look at it:

1) It is realistic as long as the design is statistically within the "boundaries" set by real coasters of the same style.

2) It is realistic as long as it's something many could see being built in real life by the manufacturer.

I think the latter is the only one that should be taken into account when designing a coaster with the goal of achieving realism. Trackwork, shaping, supports, and layout are all key factors also.

So in terms of this coaster, I would say the length is definitely realistic.

Post November 11th, 2007, 3:52 pm

Didn't have much time to work on the ride the past few days, but supports on the Inverted/Norwegian/Pretzel Loop are almost finished.

@dcs, it's 100% Elementary with H:SAK and some other Redunzelizer-formulas.

Post November 11th, 2007, 4:31 pm

If I were you I'd add a few beams on the bottom upside down V shapes going parallel to the plane of that picture, to make them look more like an A shape. The side of the V that is attached to the track is parallel and therefore doesn't seem like it could hold too much force. I know you're not done with them, but here's an example of kinda what I'm talking about http://rcdb.com/ig3245.htm?picture=32

Supports parallel to forces aren't nearly as strong as those perpendicular or near perpendicular.

Post November 11th, 2007, 5:22 pm

Points on hand: 905.00 Points

My argument for the length of rocket coasters is the cost. Sure, you could build on that's two miles long. Too bad it would cost more than one hundred million dollars.

Post November 24th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Post November 24th, 2007, 3:44 pm

Glad you implimented my suggestion, everything looks pretty good.

Post November 24th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Points on hand: 892.00 Points
looks great, but I don't like the supports tophat.
buttersafe is extremely funny

Post November 27th, 2007, 12:48 pm

It's nearly finished now, I hope to upload it next week. In the meanwhile, here's a little teaser for your viewing pleasure [:)]

Post November 27th, 2007, 1:51 pm

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

I would redo the top hat supports, it is too difficult to get a "stealth" look without going .3ds

Everything else intrigues me though. This should be a good ride.

Post November 28th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Points on hand: 9,043.00 Points

This ride looks simply great....
For your top-hat....did you try an "Xcelerator" style supports?
I think it fits perfectly with the other parts of the coaster.
It doesn't look unreal...maybe just very expensive[:D]

Post November 28th, 2007, 7:06 pm

Points on hand: 2,063.00 Points

Haha great video man. That was very well put together. Looks great.

Post November 29th, 2007, 3:41 am

I tried building Xcelerator-like supports in the very beginning, but they were looking messed up because of the spiral, so I won't replace the current supports anymore. [:)]

Oh, and I've posted four more screens on the NLDC:
http://www.nolimitsdevcenter.net/p3404

Post November 29th, 2007, 6:49 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Looking great. Cant wait to see this ride released! The video is really great btw! [:D]

Post December 2nd, 2007, 1:01 pm

Post December 14th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Points on hand: 2,196.00 Points

Wow, great Coaster!
I wish this coaster become real...

greez Philip

Return to Hard Hat Area