Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion XP and Vista Proven To Be Safer Than Mac OS X

XP and Vista Proven To Be Safer Than Mac OS X

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post December 31st, 2007, 8:39 pm

Points on hand: 2,601.00 Points

Originally posted by WeeWeeSlap

safari is what Mac people use, I think. No other choice, right?

I use Firefox on my Mac. I'm not a big fan of Safari.

Post December 31st, 2007, 8:46 pm

Points on hand: 2,601.00 Points

Originally posted by Z00Z3R

Dumbass? How?

Here's a small list of problems I have with the mac:

1) CD burning takes literally days. When I have to leave the computer on overnight for two days to burn 20 images to a CD... there's a problem.

When I was forced to do it at home to avoid failing the semester, my Windows did it in ten minutes.

2) It takes at least 3/4 minutes to open my documents.

3) It takes even longer to save one.

4) You're damned if you decide to open an image from Photoshop/FinalCut Pro/Flash cause it's just not going to happen.

5) You have to beat the crap out of a Mac before it imports anything from a CD.

6) The login screen freezes. And when it does, I have to shut it down.

7) Why do I get an error message saying that the USB port doesn't have enough power to read a card reader?

8) Might as well kill yourself if you wanna use an external harddrive.

I have more minor problems, but those are the big ones.

My God, man, what the hell are you running? That sounds like a problem of a vastly underpowered machine for the OS you're using more than it sounds like a Mac/PC issue.

I've got a fairly old iMac G5, and it's still blazing fast. OS X opens from a full shutdown in about 1/4 the time it takes Windoze to come up on my PC. Burning 20 images onto a CD takes less than a minute. My documents opens in less than a second. Importing, USB transfers, external drives (I have two), all work with no problems or slowdowns.

You post your list as if it's the fact that it's a Mac that's the problem. I'm guessing something closer to user error.

Post December 31st, 2007, 8:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,400.00 Points

Originally posted by minicoopertx

Dumbass? How?

Here's a small list of problems I have with the mac:

1) CD burning takes literally days. When I have to leave the computer on overnight for two days to burn 20 images to a CD... there's a problem.

When I was forced to do it at home to avoid failing the semester, my Windows did it in ten minutes.

2) It takes at least 3/4 minutes to open my documents.

3) It takes even longer to save one.

4) You're damned if you decide to open an image from Photoshop/FinalCut Pro/Flash cause it's just not going to happen.

5) You have to beat the crap out of a Mac before it imports anything from a CD.

6) The login screen freezes. And when it does, I have to shut it down.

7) Why do I get an error message saying that the USB port doesn't have enough power to read a card reader?

8) Might as well kill yourself if you wanna use an external harddrive.

I have more minor problems, but those are the big ones.

My God, man, what the hell are you running? That sounds like a problem of a vastly underpowered machine for the OS you're using more than it sounds like a Mac/PC issue.

I've got a fairly old iMac G5, and it's still blazing fast. OS X opens from a full shutdown in about 1/4 the time it takes Windoze to come up on my PC. Burning 20 images onto a CD takes less than a minute. My documents opens in less than a second. Importing, USB transfers, external drives (I have two), all work with no problems or slowdowns.

You post your list as if it's the fact that it's a Mac that's the problem. I'm guessing something closer to user error.

I've got a 20" Dual Core iMac with a 2.4 GHz processor that burned my DVD that was 30 minutes long of boxing day footage with menu screens, extras and a commentary section in 5 minutes each. It took ten to prepare the items for burning and I burned 5 DVDs in under an hour.

I've never had a frozen log in screen, and my external G-Drive is formatted for Mac, not even Windows.

Ripping off of a CD? It takes one click after you put the disk in.

'Do you want to import this music into your iTunes library?'

Click yes and be amazed at it importing all your music on a CD with 30 songs in like 2 minutes.

You're lying about your USB, and if you're not, your Mac is ancient. Firewire 800 is so fast it blows my mind, so even if your damn USB is slow then use Firewire 800. Your Mac is probably a friggen iMac G3 or something.

If it is that slow, how much you wanna bet it's USB 1.0?

Photoshop images opening slow? Are you god damned braindead?

Forget iMac G3, are you using an Apple II?

You're just being stupid. And you're doing that 'speaking for everyone' thing I've already talked to you about.

Don't be such an idiot.

Post December 31st, 2007, 9:01 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

to me pc is like a good old fachioned car.. it might have glitches, but i can repair all of them for next to nothing, and do not have to pay anyone to look at it.. a mac is like a brand new car, very stable, BUT when or if it takes a crap there just seems to be alot more headaches involved in getting it repaired..
i have noticed something about alot of mac users, though, they always seem to be the sort that always hire someone to fix something when it's broken, as if it's not in their nature to "get their hands dirty"..

Post December 31st, 2007, 9:03 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Why would I have a music CD at school? I meant a movie CD and an image CD.

As for the USB, we have the most up-to-date Macs. And it worked fine on all 20 Macs we have. But now, for no reason, they do nothing. They won't read anything. You're lucky if they do.

That's why we had to start using CDs instead of the Harddrives we had bought. And that's a nightmare in itself.

And no, I'm not braindead. Photoshop works perfectly. But when I click the open button, it'll take about 5 minutes to even get the browser open. Opening an image takes at least another minute.

Our Photography teacher (who's office is in the Mac lab) is running an XP now.

Post December 31st, 2007, 9:07 pm

Why would I have a music CD at school? I meant a movie CD and an image CD.

As for the USB, we have the most up-to-date Mac. And it worked fine on all 20 Macs we have. But now, for no reason, they do ****. They won't read anything. That's why we had to start using CDs instead of the Harddrives we had bought.

And no, I'm not braindead. Photoshop take forever to open. Let alone movies.

Most up to date Mac? Evidence of dumbassness. WHICH ONE? Christ, Mac Pro, iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook, Macbook Pro? And image/movie CDs work EXACTLY the same with with iPhoto, don't deny it, I've done it.

Jayman, if a Windows user got their computer fixed every time they had a problem they'd be broke. We get so few problems if we wanted to we could afford to get it fixed by a pro.

But Macs are just as easy to fix as PCs are.

So yeah, Zoozer, you're a tard.

Post December 31st, 2007, 9:12 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

*cough* SCHOOL *cough* What do you think we're using? iMacs OS X.

Calaway - I can film you a day in our Mac lab and show you the vast problems that arise and proof of every single problem I listed.

As to minicooper- I'd take that our school server may be the problem. But I wouldn't think that because the multiple other labs that run windows don't have the problems like we do. And I doubt it's user error since only about 20 kids use the lab.

Post December 31st, 2007, 9:18 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

i just like how easy and cheap it is to build, run, maintain and repair my pc..
my case is that i could never afford to have a mac,so i have gotten VERY familliar with pc's.. i had my old computer for like 5 years, and it was never down for more than an hour at the MOST, even when i was installing new stuff.. if i could afford a g5 that would be a different story, no doubt in my mind that they ARE the best tool for audio and video editing, .., but still i'd probabally just build an even kick assier pc..

Post December 31st, 2007, 9:20 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Hey Calaway you might wanna read my post and like respond to it and stuff instead of ignoring it to make yourself look better. While I'm at it I think I'll start WWIII.

Post December 31st, 2007, 9:22 pm

Post January 1st, 2008, 3:29 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion