Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Six Flags Retracking Classic Steel Roller Coasters

Six Flags Retracking Classic Steel Roller Coasters

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

http://www.coasterforce.com/home/p2_articleid/494

Dubbed Shapiro's TLC plan, it seems Six Flags Over Texas is the first stop of this 5 year plan to help spruce up and revamp Six Flags nationwide.

As Screamscape reports, a crane has been spotted near the 30 year old roller coaster with sections of the track missing. Though enthusiasts feared the worst with a removal of the classic steel roller coaster, it quickly became apparent that Six Flags was merely retracking the ride for more comfortable riding in the future.

It has been confirmed Great America's Demon roller coaster will also receive such treatment (and rumblings of other steel coasters on the list), helping restore these classic 70s steel coasters to be enjoyed for years to come.
Last edited by Canadmos on January 13th, 2008, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post January 13th, 2008, 11:36 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Post January 14th, 2008, 11:41 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Thats great. They need to honor these classics a little more.

Post January 14th, 2008, 12:13 pm

I would say retracking a steel coaster is giving it pretty high honors.

Hopefully they go over to Revolution and restore it to its glory.

Post January 14th, 2008, 1:57 pm
dhh User avatar

Points on hand: 68.00 Points
Although glad TLC work is being done (and not removing one of the best rides in the park), I don't personally see where Shock Wave needs retracking, unless it just needs a replacement piece in general. To the best of my knowledge, it is still the same the last time I rode it this past season as it was opening year. Maybe someone is right in saying that the work could be on the footers/supports, as Johnson Creek has been notorious for flooding the past few years.

Post January 14th, 2008, 3:14 pm

Remember dhh, just because you can't see or feel the damage of wear and tear, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Post January 14th, 2008, 4:11 pm
dhh User avatar

Points on hand: 68.00 Points
did not say there was no damage. It is just that when I hear the word "retrack", my head immediately begins to think one thing, when something else (like wear and tear) could be the reason. I guess it is a "tomayto" / "tomahto" kind of thing.

Post January 14th, 2008, 5:34 pm

Points on hand: 88.00 Points
Okay, I'm kinda confused here.

I can see how you would retrack a woodie, but how do they do so with a steel coaster? I just don't see how it works in my head.

Post January 14th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Points on hand: 2,481.00 Points

Originally posted by tubaman91

Okay, I'm kinda confused here.

I can see how you would retrack a woodie, but how do they do so with a steel coaster? I just don't see how it works in my head.

i think they just take the bolts connecting the sections together, screw them out, and put in a brand new section of track that is exactly the same [approve] then they probably scrap the old section...

also im SOO happy that Demon @ SFGAm is part of the plan! I LOVE that ride!!! [:D]

Post January 14th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

Post January 14th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Points on hand: 3,578.00 Points
yes...but wasn't Demon welded together when constructed? If so, that would make work a tad bit more difficult...but I'm glad they are willing to do it!

Post January 14th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

^I believe you are right but who cares Six Flags is doing it! w00t!

Post January 14th, 2008, 9:51 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

i will be PISSED if they ignore revolution, BUT. i betcha the coaster war is over and the time has come for six flags to acknowledge that bigger, faster and trendier is NOT as important as what they have historically.it's like having a '57 chevy, and a 63 t-bird rotting in you yard and buying a boxster.. i live in hope for the day when an advertising campaign for magic mountain involve something to the extent of "REVOLUTION IS BACK" glad to see demon and shockwave being regarded as important.. . ..i was watching a random collossus video on you tube and there seemed to be something going on there too.

Post January 15th, 2008, 10:50 am

Points on hand: 3,999.00 Points
Well, imagine that! The old steelies weren't as maintenance free as they were advertised. Some of my NL coasters could use a little retracking!! LOL

Post January 15th, 2008, 11:47 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

i think it would be wonderful if six flags did for coasters what record companies do for albums.. just think.. a public thats just as interested in a restored classic as they are in a new "fassteer.. talleeer" peice of **** ridethat does nothing but go really fast up, down and turn..bitchen for sure but not "classic!"

Post January 16th, 2008, 12:29 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Not classic, maybe, but myself (and most others, judging from lines and overall ride popularity) definately prefer newer rides. Not that they don't like older rides at all, but people definately do like these new "POS" rides...

Not really addressed to you jayman, but this little conversation reminds me of someone's comment on another site, I won't say who. This person basically said a certain ride was absolutely horrible overall, but the same ride is one that people go to from around the world, is regarded as one of the best rides in the world by many many people, enthusiast and GP alike, yet is also not so over-the-top that it scares away families. Just because a ride doesn't exactly cater to your particular tastes doesn't mean it sucks, especially since a lot of times rides people say suck may just cater to a different demographic. People are entitled to their opinions, but I think that was a stupid statement.

More on the topic of these changes... I think it's a good idea to update the older rides like they are, especially since it probably doesn't cost that much, and I'm sure people, even if they don't notice the changes specifically, will enjoy the ride more as time goes on. With that said, it seems to me that some people like that a lot of the imperfections on these older rides give them charm, and I think they should be careful, especially on Shockwave (but maybe not so much on Demon), not to kill what many would consider charm in their improvement process.

Post January 16th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Points on hand: 1,235.00 Points

Ive only been two SFGA once but I wish in stead of taking the chiller They should retrack it instead of wasteing money on slow rides.

Post January 16th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Chiller didn't need retracking. It had problems with stress fractures in the wheel assemblies, and I'm sure tons of problems with the LIMs and computers.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions