Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Wooden NL coaster(Help)

Wooden NL coaster(Help)

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post March 21st, 2010, 6:02 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
I'm new to Nolimits and I love making wooden roller coasters(I cant do steel for some reason) and I have very very good ideas but I have trouble putting them on the game and it looks bad. Does this come better when you play the game longer? And if you guys have any cool elements that have airtime or any cool turn arounds for wooden coasters could you some how give them to me? Thanks for reading my new topic and sorry if I put in the wrong place.
Last edited by fear the four on March 21st, 2010, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 21st, 2010, 8:46 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

You'll get better with time, don't think that everyone was amazing at NL from the first day they got it. Looking at the higher rated rides on here and pictures/videos of actual coasters are both good ways to get a feel for how to shape things.

Post March 22nd, 2010, 7:40 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by guitarplayer673

don't think that everyone was amazing at NL from the first day they got it.

Oscar was a NL god as soon as he received it. He's one of the few exceptions to those wise words. [lol]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 22nd, 2010, 9:04 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by Dirk_Ermen

Oscar was a NL god as soon as he received it. He's one of the few exceptions to those wise words. [lol]

Sarcasm much? [lol]

Post March 22nd, 2010, 9:50 am

Points on hand: 3,999.00 Points
Look at some photos of real wood coasters but remember that photos sometimes distort the true shape of some of the hills due to the focal length of the camera lens. To get a real good idea of the shape of a hill you have to look at the hill from a side view, not looking at it straight on. Looking at a hill straight on will exaggerate the steepness of the drops. Most older coasters have drops of only 45 degrees although the newer coasters have first drops of 55 or 60 degree angles. Of course your fantasy coasters can have vertical drops it you want to have them that way. Check out El Toro's first drop. Probably the steepest of any wooden coaster.

I've learned a lot by looking at the tracks of other NL designers on Coaster Crazy and other sites. Check out some high rated coasters and go to the "Cool Designs".

Basically is just practice and plain hard work.
Trackwalker

Post March 22nd, 2010, 3:01 pm

Points on hand: 77.00 Points
It is true that wooden coasters can be easier to make. I generally think of a developer, and stick to their style for a bit. Currently I'm on CCI, before was Dinn.

These are the easiest to design styles of woodies:

William Cobb-simple tracks that can be wild or tame. Texas Cyclone or Arkansas Twister for example.

Dinn: Not heartlined, decent air and simple curves. Easy since it has simple transitions.

PTC: Out and back is the norm here. This means you just need good hills throughout.

CCI: Bit like Dinn but with better hills and more lats.

Don't try these yet:

GG-Heartlining everywhere and hard to manage gs.

GCI-Compact and a very hard style to replicate.

S&S Power- Like GG but harder lol.

Intamin- Very airtime filled and has to be extremely smooth.

Post March 22nd, 2010, 4:00 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
You don't have to recreate a specific style... Some people still prefer to keep their own style into the rides. [:)]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 22nd, 2010, 5:06 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
Find your own style,your first coaster mustn't be perfect but take some time to analyse some good woodies (I remeber some weeks ago there was a really good woodie of a beginner it think it was named Stricken) and TAKE SOME TIME TO BUILD THAT COASTER.
Good Luck[hello]
Edit:Oh download Newton 2 for advanced trackwork and heartlining.You can download it here(its free):
http://nolimits-exchange.com/news/20/newton2
Here you can see some tutorials:
http://www.coastercrazy.com/forum/topic ... C_ID=22549
All RCCAs should be RMC'd. And that event shall be henceforth known as the Rollercaust.

Post March 22nd, 2010, 5:11 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Do you ever NOT advertise your own tracks in other people's threads?

Anyway, @Fear the Four: listen to the experienced members. Don't worry about style yet. Just build whatever comes to mind, but make sure it's realistic! Realism is the key (in my opinion) to getting better at NL. Anyone can build a 500-foot tall, 130-mph kiddie coaster, but it takes skill to build something rideable. Eventually, you'll want to craft your own style and get really good at that before trying to tweak it to match a certain manufacturer. Good luck in whatever you choose to do, though!

Post March 22nd, 2010, 6:30 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
Originally posted by Live on earths ass

Oh download Newton 2 for advanced trackwork and heartlining.You can download it here(its free):
http://nolimits-exchange.com/news/20/newton2

Is there a mac version?

Post March 22nd, 2010, 6:37 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

Post March 22nd, 2010, 10:03 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Unfortunately not, but there are ways to run virtual windows machines on macs for reasonable prices and with reasonable performance characteristics. That's what I do. vmware fusion is, in my opinion, the best virtual machine software out there for macs. The other option is boot camp, but I've heard that file sharing with that is a bitch. The third option is learning good old handbuilding the old-fashioned way, before all of this Newton and FVD junk [:)]

Return to No Limits Coaster