Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Handbuilding

Handbuilding

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post March 5th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
I've recently figured out FVDs, and anyone who had downloaded my two latest rides @ CS or TN knows that they're almost a lifesaver. If only I could get a handle on the AHG! GRRRRRRRRR!!!
Anyway, I tool-build most stuff, minus the lift. IMO, tool-building only makes things easier, unless you're going for a woodie...then FVDs don't work very well...I wish they could come out with a formula that almost exactly like FVDs, but had an extra set of timezones for lateral g's. That would KICK ASS. And I personally don't see why it couldn't be done, although not without a hell of a lot of time.

Post March 5th, 2008, 6:22 pm

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

I believe red has done it, just is keeping it to himself.^

Post March 5th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Post March 5th, 2008, 6:54 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

I was a hand-builder from fall '02 to spring '07, and I still to this day have not gotten a grasp on HSAK or the Purg. But then came the FVD. I'm a convert. Hand-building is good, but I was never good enough at it to make a technically perfect track without sacrificing significantly in layout. I love FVD because it that lets you build technically perfect tooled tracks, but still retain your own unique style if you know what you're doing. And with some altercations to the banking by hand, and messing around with the AHG, you can still make absolutely anything. Hypers work especially well with it, but making FVD woodies is great fun also. However, I still have not been able to make the simplest of inversions with it. It is a pain in the butt to try and make a simple vertical loop or cobra roll with it, so I still make all of my 'big' inversions by hand, then smooth them by using low vertex counts and high filter numbers in AHG. For everything else, though, it's FVD all the way.

Post March 5th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

I don't think there is any easy way to make loops with FVD formulas. It seems to be best for creating 'roll' type of inversions.

Post March 5th, 2008, 7:15 pm
A7 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 153.00 Points
I consider myself a hand-builder, the only things I use that could be considered tools are as follows;

(track)
1. Coaster Calculator (to know how long to make the station)
2. 3ds Circle (pump-free turns/hills)
3. Built in smoother (to do most smoothing, small tweaks afterward)
3. AHG (to heartline)

(supports)
1. Auto Flanger (for steel coaster)
2. Support Optimizer (for woodies)

Post March 5th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

Yer, you cannot make loops or cobras or immelmanns in FVD unless:

- you edit the formula yourself to include sub-zones. I know someone who as done this, but shall not say. His ride is however uploaded here.
- you make the element in 2 pieces before and after the element hits the 90* slope. (this technique doesnt usually work, but Mikado has faith) lol.

Post March 5th, 2008, 7:28 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

I hand-build for the same reason that Oscar hand-builds. Its a game and when you make a track by hand and it turns out smooth it is way more rewarding. Pretty much the only tools I use are 3D circles and templates to reduce pumps. So it may take way more time but tracks turn out more original and fun.

Post March 5th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Points on hand: 5,351.00 Points
The 3d circles idea is very good, infact im going to start using that now! Thanks for all the feedback. Judging by my skills on nl!, check my coasters for an idea, do you think i should use tools or handbuild?

Post March 5th, 2008, 7:45 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

Thats a tough question, You will have a 50/50 split. Its really a matter of choice. Just try both and see what you like better.

Post March 5th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Points on hand: 5,351.00 Points
Well for a start, i suck badly at maths and i have no chance with formulars, Fvd, does this use formulars or is that the elementry?

Post March 5th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
FVD IS a formula for Elementary. It really requires no math (except adding together the time zones to know when to do some things), which can be done pretty quickly on a calculator. At least that's how I do it. I understand that some people may actually think it through, but I use guess-and-check for almost everything.

Post March 5th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Points on hand: 3,691.00 Points
yeah, when people have trouble with ahg, just go with the guess and check idea like boneplaya does. i do it. as long as you know the basics, just guess and check.

Post March 5th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Just to state fact. To use the FVD formulas all you need to know is simple addition and subtraction.

If you can do 3 + 1 you can use the FVD formulas.

It is just a matter of figuring out how to actually use it.

[/end tool recruiting ploy]

Post March 5th, 2008, 10:20 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points

Post March 5th, 2008, 11:28 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
All my rides are all handbuilt (except maybe 1 or 2 AHG occations)

Post March 6th, 2008, 12:25 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Originally posted by alton_

Yer, you cannot make loops or cobras or immelmanns in FVD unless:

- you edit the formula yourself to include sub-zones. I know someone who as done this, but shall not say. His ride is however uploaded here.
- you make the element in 2 pieces before and after the element hits the 90* slope. (this technique doesnt usually work, but Mikado has faith) lol.

You can make cobra rolls and immelmans with FVD:

http://www.nolimitsdevcenter.net/i31931

Post March 6th, 2008, 1:00 am

Post March 6th, 2008, 1:15 am

Points on hand: 2,063.00 Points

Ya man Ive been trying to figure out ways to get that but the banking switch just doesnt work with me..

Post March 6th, 2008, 2:54 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
"You can make cobra rolls and immelmans with FVD:"

Pretty much only works when the middle of the ascent/descent is actually vertical, meaning no tilted B&M style cobras etc. without doing some extra stuff.

Canadmos, just work like normal and then rotate each vertice 180* afterwards. You won't get any twitches or anything, it's just a pain to do especially if you have to test a lot.

Post March 6th, 2008, 12:07 pm

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
AAARGH! can someone please post links to tools please!?

Post March 6th, 2008, 12:16 pm
Gav User avatar

Points on hand: 2,076.00 Points

Originally posted by Adrenaguy

AAARGH! can someone please post links to tools please!?

Member Extraxyz hosted some tools here: http://members.home.nl/extraxyz/windigo/tools/

I'm currently following some Tutorials, maybe then I'll switch over to H:sak.

Post March 6th, 2008, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 1,531.00 Points
FVDs are generally the way to go now if you use elementary for the majority of your tracks like I do. Usually it is a good idea to supplement your FVD track with something like the Cnake_Sinhat formula in areas that have negative Gs but need a nice vertical to horizontal transition. FVDs by nature make these sections into an awkward falling bank like in a reverse banked hill.

Examples:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig1565.htm?picture=19

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2905.htm?picture=41
Hill right after tophat.

SROS's final turn into the bunny hills.

If you toolbuild you'll generally make rides that all feel the same since people have a habit of using only 1 wizard and then linking a bunch of them together...

...The problem with tools is I see lots of tracks with a hill that exits into a turn at the bottom (Like Goliath at SFOG's second hill) and I see the hill is nice and straight until there is a ridiculously huge heartline at the bottom.

Just remember that not everyone one does this and that some people do take the time to stitch various different formulas together to get generally favorable and accurate design. Usually the problem you mention occurs only when some people think tools will be an easy way to get a gold and then they just rip through their design and disregard the fact that all of their transitions are on inflection points.

Post March 6th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
hand building is alot like testicular cancer. you love your balls, but not when they have cancer. unfortunatly i never took the time to learn fvd's so i guess i'm stuck with nut cancer!!!

Post March 6th, 2008, 11:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to No Limits Coaster