Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Handbuilding

Handbuilding

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post March 8th, 2008, 10:47 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Yeah and then pansies throw in 9000 3ds objects anyways.

I think handbuilding has mostly gotten a bad rep since people use it as a crutch and throw in the "this is hand built" as a rate booster. I've used that as a rate booster too but I've found it really doesn't help you much.

I still have yet to see a proper tooled Arrow Dynamics vertical loop.

Post March 8th, 2008, 10:59 am

Points on hand: 79.00 Points
I'm a handbuilder, I don't use tools except sometimes the smoother from Buster (not the standard build-in). It helps me, because it removes my little mistakes and I'm not so good at smoothing. Though, on my latest track I managed to make the first part as smooth as someone could do with tools. Now the rest.

Post March 9th, 2008, 7:17 am

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
the thing that annoys me most is not that people rate too high or too low, its that THEY DON'T EVER RATE!

Post March 9th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Points on hand: 929.00 Points
Bank: 2,385.00 Points

Post March 9th, 2008, 12:52 pm
Jer User avatar

Points on hand: 1,089.00 Points

Handbuilding since I actually take pride in my coasters. Sure anyone could sit there and play with numbers to create a perfect ride in 3 minutes, but how many people could sit at there computer for 3 months (not straight of course) working on smoothing a ride?

Post March 9th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Post March 9th, 2008, 3:04 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post March 9th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by Jer

Sure anyone could sit there and play with numbers to create a perfect ride in 3 minutes,

You think that's true. However, the truth is that you can't sit and play with numbers to make a perfect ride in 3 minutes. Try it, will you? Right, because you can't, and no one does [;)]

Post March 9th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

I wish Oscar could get a dollar for each time this conversation has come up in the last 5 years or so.

Post March 9th, 2008, 3:34 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Post March 9th, 2008, 3:49 pm

i've just had a go at elementary and i cannot get me head round it, what other tools are there?

Post March 9th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

Elementary is actually the only tool that makes the track for you...
But if you even had problems with the basic formulas, I suggest to stick to handbuilding... And maybe using AHG, but that can be pretty complicated if you have absolutely no idea what to do with it.I use AHG for almost a year and it still doesn't want to obey me perfectly...

I suggest playing around, experimenting...

Post March 10th, 2008, 3:33 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Originally posted by Jer

Handbuilding since I actually take pride in my coasters. Sure anyone could sit there and play with numbers to create a perfect ride in 3 minutes, but how many people could sit at there computer for 3 months (not straight of course) working on smoothing a ride?

Yeah, I used to think that too. But the truth is, making a good ride with Elementary takes almost as long as making a good ride by hand. Sure, you could make a 3-minute ride with Element Wizards and very basic HSAK, but it would suck in terms of originality and layout. When I was hand-building, it took me a good 20 to 30 hours to get the shaping right. Well, now that I've switched to FVD, it still takes me a good 20 hours to do it well. Sure, I could make a crappy FVD coaster in about 2 hours, and there are a few people that do that, but it's not the same. The extra time spent fine-tuning the formulas shows just as much as the extra time spent tweaking vertexes by hand does. So don't go dissing Elementary until you've tried it yourself. I personally find using FVD just as satisfying as hand-building when I spend the extra time on an element to get it just right. It's all about effort either way... and how much time you are willing to spend tweaking an element to get it working just like you imagined it.

Disclaimer: my first FVD coaster, Hurricane, is not a good example. I did mess with it plenty, but there were still several elements that didn't turn out like I wanted them to, and I didn't have the time to go back and fine-tune them.

Post March 10th, 2008, 6:11 am

i have used some basic unaltered element on a ride i am working on right now, but i use elements already provided generally.

Post March 10th, 2008, 8:16 am

Points on hand: 2,685.00 Points

I think I like handbuilding, though I haven't built a coaster in a long time. The tools don't make sense to me. I've tried them and I'm left with more questions than answers.

Post March 10th, 2008, 1:35 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by cjd
Disclaimer: my first FVD coaster, Hurricane, is not a good example. I did mess with it plenty, but there were still several elements that didn't turn out like I wanted them to, and I didn't have the time to go back and fine-tune them.

Or put the G's somewhat close to reasonable limits in all directions lol. FORCE vector. At least get half the name right.

Post March 10th, 2008, 3:03 pm

what i really get annoyed about is that there is no way to smooth a handbuilt ride relatively easily, even with buster's smoother, however much i try i just cannot get those DAMN bumps out, i mean, i'm working on a new rock themed coaster, and there are areas which will simply not debump, any ideas?

Post March 10th, 2008, 4:25 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post March 10th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
ya dude just keep trying, i use quite a few methods to smooths tracks. for instance, sometimes i split segments, then smooth them. (if i really had the time i would just ****ing learn fvd's. but i never find time... eh, maybe this summer.

Post March 10th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
"Handbuilding since I actually take pride in my coasters. Sure anyone could sit there and play with numbers to create a perfect ride in 3 minutes, but how many people could sit at there computer for 3 months (not straight of course) working on smoothing a ride?"
--Jer

Or, here's another thought: why not take that pride...and put it into making a decent coaster?

Oh, btw... if you had taken 3 months to build all your coasters, then you'd have been building for 8 years straight. Considering NL has been out for 6.5 years, somehow I think you're stretching it. Of course, you could build multiple rides simultaneously, but you have too much pride to do that, don't you?

Try something before you A: knock it, B: knock the people who do it, and C: say something that you'll (hopefully) realize doesn't make sense if you try it. Tools aren't drugs, they won't hurt you so feel free to give them a chance.

Post March 10th, 2008, 5:22 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by dcs221

"Handbuilding since I actually take pride in my coasters. Sure anyone could sit there and play with numbers to create a perfect ride in 3 minutes, but how many people could sit at there computer for 3 months (not straight of course) working on smoothing a ride?"
--Jer

Or, here's another thought: why not take that pride...and put it into making a decent coaster?

Haha, yes. [approve]

Post March 10th, 2008, 6:20 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post March 10th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
About the 3 minutes maybe, but I doubt about the pride, which was more of my point. I think it was exaggeration for effect though, moreso than sarcasm.

Post March 10th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Points on hand: 5,351.00 Points
Elementery looks pretty good but the formulars let it down, if you could simply make the segment of track and the elementery smooths it for you then that would be better but then the question would pop up, why doesn't nl do it, why do we have to use a seperate tool.

I have mixed feelings about making a coaster sometimes its the layout that i lack and sometimes i can make a really good laid out coaster , then the smoothing comes in, i use the built in smoother but that sometimes is also not enough, i think you have to get used to the shapes of the track and how to make a smooth segment next time, Also, anyone who hasnt used 3d circles to make there turns smoother, try it it really works!!

Post March 11th, 2008, 9:40 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I always Hand-Build mine. I feel a greater sensation of accomplishment when I finally get a piece of track just the way I wanted it when I've hand built it, than I did when I had a go with some of the tools.

I guess some people might just take more pride from recieving high ratings from n00bs, than they do from their own workmanship

PreviousNext

Return to No Limits Coaster