Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Top 10 Useless Body Parts

Top 10 Useless Body Parts

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post March 31st, 2008, 7:24 pm

Points on hand: 1,490.00 Points
Saw this on MSN Encarta and thought it was worth reading:

When you're sick you may feel that certain body parts are more trouble than they're worth. And in some cases, you'd be right. While the human body has evolved and adapted significantly since the caveman days, a few biological traces of our prehistoric ancestors still remain with us in the form of freeloading body parts we lug around with us, but have no use for. Take a gander at the top offenders!

10. Plica semilunaris
You may not know it, but you have a third eyelid. Pull open the two more noticeable eyelids and take a look -- it's located right in the corner by the tear duct. This small third eyelid is left over from what's known as a "nictitating membrane," which is still present in full form in some animals including chickens, lizards and sharks.

9. Body hair
No doubt we were once hairier. Up until about 3 million years ago, we were covered with body hair. But by the time Homo erectus arrived, the ability to sweat meant we could shed our woolly ways.

8. Sinuses
Doctors don't really know much about sinuses -- only that we have a lot of them. Possibilities for their function range from insulating our eyes to changing the pitch and tone of our voice.

7. Adenoids
Adenoids trap bacteria, but they're also prone to swelling and infection. Just ask any 7-year-old. Luckily, our adenoids shrink with age and are often removed, along with ...

6. Tonsils
Also prone to swelling and infection. If you still have them when you reach your 30s, it's almost an accomplishment.

5. Coccyx
More useful as a game-winning Scrabble word than as part of the anatomy, the coccyx or tailbone, is made up of several fused vertebrae left over from the olden days when we had tails.

4. Arrector pili
When we were hairier (see No. 9), the arrector pili made the hairs stand on end when we needed to appear bigger and scarier. Now, it just gives us goose bumps.

3. Wisdom teeth
Back in the day, when we ate mammoth meat off the bone and didn't floss afterward, our teeth tended to fall out. Therefore, when those reserve molars, aka "wisdom teeth," came in, they were welcomed. Nowadays, fluoride and dental plans have made them just a huge pain.

2. Appendix
Darwin claimed the appendix was useful for digestion during our early plant-eating years; it's dwindled down to little since we started eating more digestible foods.

1. Male nipples
Because, why?

http://spotlight.encarta.msn.com/Featur ... ?GT1=27004

My NLDC Page - Coaster-Net.com Staff

Post March 31st, 2008, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

Prime example of how bored us Americans can get because of lack of exercise.

Post March 31st, 2008, 8:36 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
I can name one or two body parts that are completely useless for 99% of you... :P

Post March 31st, 2008, 8:58 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
Originally posted by dcs221

I can name one or two body parts that are completely useless for 99% of you... :P

wow, ur cool.
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post March 31st, 2008, 10:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,978.00 Points

Post March 31st, 2008, 10:58 pm

Thanks asaaa. I see you can use your mind to understand my coolness, so if I take the brain off your list, that only leaves one of your body parts that's completely useless.

Post March 31st, 2008, 11:23 pm

Points on hand: 3,691.00 Points
wow, asaaa just got burned pretty bad.
nice one dcs.

Post March 31st, 2008, 11:24 pm

Points on hand: 2,063.00 Points

Post March 31st, 2008, 11:51 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
dcs beat me to the joke.

I think number 5 is quite the interesting word.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post April 1st, 2008, 12:16 am

Yeah I heard the pinky toe was likely to evolve away because it's not really necessary apparently. Surprised it isn't on the list.

Post April 1st, 2008, 6:03 am

Points on hand: 5,351.00 Points
"Evolve", God this reminds me of pokemon haha soo much.

Post April 1st, 2008, 7:51 am

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
^god don't even mention "those" i hate them so much, one of my friends got in a massive fight and broke his nose because of them when we were in primary school or "kindergarten"
we laugh about it now 'cus we found out that the kid who broke my friends nose had to have an operation to have some flesh from his butt cheek put onto his face 'cus it was so shrunken, he used to bully my friend and me a little, now every time he gives us agro we call him butt face[pshades]
Cradled by two loving arms that I'd die for,
One little kiss and Felina goodbye.

Post April 1st, 2008, 8:50 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

8. Sinuses
Doctors don't really know much about sinuses -- only that we have a lot of them. Possibilities for their function range from insulating our eyes to changing the pitch and tone of our voice.

Sounds pretty useful to me.

Post April 1st, 2008, 10:56 am

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

Post April 1st, 2008, 11:42 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Me three. But I don't say they're useless. I mean, we all start out in a gender neutral form, so they could technically do something if the right sets of hormones came along.

Post April 1st, 2008, 12:11 pm

Points on hand: 9,043.00 Points

First....don't touch my nipples!
Second...what are nails useful for?
To be eaten and then spit?
Or maybe just for beauty...imagine your hands without them...2 skin gloves!

Post April 1st, 2008, 12:26 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Originally posted by cjd

Me three. But I don't say they're useless. I mean, we all start out in a gender neutral form, so they could technically do something if the right sets of hormones came along.

Yeah ... You'd love to have working nipples, but let's not go there.

Post April 1st, 2008, 1:38 pm

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Male nipples are indeed useful in the R rated environment.

Post April 1st, 2008, 1:51 pm

Points on hand: 2,481.00 Points

[lol] i know what you mean.... not that its happened to me before, but i know what youre talkin about [lol]
Founder of the (Un-Official) Site Welcoming Crew --- I'M CUCKOO FOR COASTERCRAZY!!!

Post April 1st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Originally posted by barone

First....don't touch my nipples!
Second...what are nails useful for?
To be eaten and then spit?
Or maybe just for beauty...imagine your hands without them...2 skin gloves!

Whether you notice or not, nails actually do a good job at protecting your finger tips.

Post April 1st, 2008, 2:04 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

ok, why do we have belly buttons.

i mean i know its the leftover from the umbilical cord but why didnt it just heal over instead of leaving a big gaping whole in the middle of your body or worse, an outy belly button [shocked]
Making screams come true

Post April 1st, 2008, 2:13 pm

Originally posted by Canadmos

Whether you notice or not, nails actually do a good job at protecting your finger tips.

I think they are there for a more practical reason which we did not develop but I consider them a little bit delicate to be a real protection.

Post April 1st, 2008, 2:27 pm

Points on hand: 1,490.00 Points
I think they help us pick up things, since the definition finder nail means a thin plate, consisting of modified epidermis, growing on the upper side of the end of a finger or toe. And I agree to Canadmos's comment.
My NLDC Page - Coaster-Net.com Staff

Post April 1st, 2008, 2:32 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

Originally posted by BillBillJr92

I think they help us pick up things, since the definition finder nail means a thin plate, consisting of modified epidermis, growing on the upper side of the end of a finger or toe. And I agree to Canadmos's comment.

whos wikipedias bitch..............YOU ARE
Making screams come true

Post April 1st, 2008, 2:47 pm

Originally posted by BillBillJr92

Very good but I have a question:do you pick up things with your nails?
Or...in which way do they help fingers in doing that?
I agree they are a barrier...but they're not made of a hard material like teeth or something else.
So I simply do not see such a big utility and invincible protection!

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion