Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion 2008 NHL Playoffs

2008 NHL Playoffs

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post June 3rd, 2008, 12:50 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that was exciting.

Time for drugs now ... chat with ya on Wednesday, Ragan!
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post June 3rd, 2008, 1:09 am

Points on hand: 1,209.00 Points
Holy crap. As a Wings fan I am contractually obligated to be sad but that was a fantastic game. Fleury saved the collective butts of all the penguins... the shot totals were scary. Game 6 please deliver.

Post June 3rd, 2008, 1:33 am

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

Originally posted by TConwell

chat with ya on Wednesday, Ragan!

nah. playing hockey when game 6 starts, should be home in time for mid-3rd, but i'll tivo the game and than catch up a couple hours late. and for game 7 i'll be out of town so no computer. we'll take after pens win cup though :P

Post June 3rd, 2008, 1:44 am

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
I believe you mean NBA... not NHL... It's a common mistake.

Go Lakers!

Post June 3rd, 2008, 7:15 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Post June 3rd, 2008, 8:01 am

Does the NBA still hire rapists, drug abusers, and wife beaters at random?
I keep forgetting ... [lol]

I will also Tivo the game on Wednesday, but should be home about the end of the first period. Man, I cannot believe they actually pulled it out!

Post June 3rd, 2008, 1:12 pm

in canada, you're correct. NHL>everything. but unfortunately, most of us live in america, where they are obsessed with their pretty colors, drug dealers, and steroid abusers, and also, country club/redneck sports. that's why, in america, the order of importance of sports in this country sadly goes as follows: NFL>MLB>NBA>Golf>NASCAR>NHL>MLS>Horse Racing>MLL

in most countries other, modern countries, it goes as follows: MLS>NHL>MLB>Golf>MLL>Horse Racing>NASCAR>NFL>NBA.

God i hate this part about america. Eastern europe has it right, hockey>soccer>everything else.

Post June 3rd, 2008, 3:29 pm

Points on hand: 1,696.00 Points
My list:
NHL>MLS (international soccer, American soccer sucks)>NFL>MLB>Paintball>NBA>everything else>NASCAR>Golf
I am the night

Post June 4th, 2008, 12:10 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points

Post June 4th, 2008, 7:22 am

Post June 4th, 2008, 11:44 am

Points on hand: 1,346.00 Points

Post June 4th, 2008, 1:04 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

If I read the word "Soccer" one more time, I'll destroy something! [lol]

Americans are all silly people, so it doesn't matter what sports they like, end of story [:P]

What's with all the abreviations also? Since when did "MLS" become the term with which to describe football? followed by a set of brackets to explain that you meant international football not the American league, despite MLS being the name of the American league... why not just call it international football, or Soccer as you prefer even though iut doesn't really have anything to do with socks [lol]

Post June 4th, 2008, 1:17 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by ragan

in most countries other, modern countries, it goes as follows: MLS>NHL>MLB>Golf>MLL>Horse Racing>NASCAR>NFL>NBA.

And this is just completely incorrect.

The ONLY countries in which Ice Hockey is of any importance at all, are USA, Canada, Russia and Germany + possibly a couple of others. For it to be second on the list of considered importance of sports across the globe is a large oversight [:P] AND for Baseball to be 3rd on the list... [lol]

thinking about it, in terms of how many people watch, attend and participate in the top sort of 5 would probably be something like so:

Football (proper football, where you kick a ball with your FOOT, hence the name Football not some random Sock reference) > The Olympics (Pretty gay and boring but hey some of those gymnasts are pretty hot) > Formula 1 (also boring as hell, but aparantly extremely popular) > Golf (who doesn't know someone who plays golf?) > Tennis (pretty level pegging between tennis and golf I would presume)

Just having a quick look around the net, those seem to be the top 5 that keep cropping up, although not always in that order

Post June 4th, 2008, 2:17 pm
Gav User avatar

Points on hand: 2,076.00 Points

I watched a small part of game 5 over at Youtube and I must say it's a very exiting sport to watch. Too bad it's not that popular here. And man that goaly played well!

Post June 4th, 2008, 2:52 pm

Originally posted by gouldy

Originally posted by ragan

And this is just completely incorrect.

The ONLY countries in which Ice Hockey is of any importance at all, are USA, Canada, Russia and Germany + possibly a couple of others. For it to be second on the list of considered importance of sports across the globe is a large oversight [:P] AND for Baseball to be 3rd on the list... [lol]

thinking about it, in terms of how many people watch, attend and participate in the top sort of 5 would probably be something like so:

Football (proper football, where you kick a ball with your FOOT, hence the name Football not some random Sock reference) > The Olympics (Pretty gay and boring but hey some of those gymnasts are pretty hot) > Formula 1 (also boring as hell, but aparantly extremely popular) > Golf (who doesn't know someone who plays golf?) > Tennis (pretty level pegging between tennis and golf I would presume)

Just having a quick look around the net, those seem to be the top 5 that keep cropping up, although not always in that order

screw you. [lol] that's how it is to me :P i forgot rugby though...

Post June 4th, 2008, 11:01 pm

A great series all around, absolutely nothing to hang a head about, that is for certain. I think had Fleury not had two shut-outs against him he would have def been in the running for Conn Smythe this year. Well, now the waiting starts again for the fall!! :-)

Post June 4th, 2008, 11:25 pm

god that game pissed me off. we have 'weather' in the area, and for the ENTIRE game, we had our local weatherman talk about tornadoes and crap. not one second did i get to listen to the game, and for the entire game, the screen was quarter size, and obstructed. it made me upset to say the least.

Post June 5th, 2008, 7:06 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I didn't get to see a single game, not a single game. I've seen bits and bobs of stuff on youtube, but the coverage of any American sports here is terrible, there seems to be more NASCAR on than anything, but even that is only on like once a week at about 2 in the morning. We went through a stage when the Hockey was on every night on channel 5, even though it was still on a 1:20 AM, but yeah, I loved that. It's just crap now though, we don't get to see any of it without paying through our teeths!

Post June 5th, 2008, 7:21 am

I watched it from the start of the game up until CBC cut back to the news at like 12am. Fun stuff.

Definatly a well diserved win by Detroit.

Some pictures; http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=pag ... eryId=6486

Post June 5th, 2008, 11:23 am

After thinking on this, I do believe ... Ozzie should have been given the Conn Smythe. His playing was, shall we say, just superb. Not sure how close he was in the running, but man, what a series.

Sorry about the weather ragan -- except for the last 5 mins of the third, it was a pretty 'routine' game.

Post June 5th, 2008, 2:08 pm

its cool. the way it turned out, i am kind of glad i didn't get to hear it :)

Post June 5th, 2008, 2:36 pm

Here, I will will recap:

"Dump and chase, stand up at blue line, dump and chase, score."

[lol]

Post June 6th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Yea I really thought Ozzie deserved it too...

^LOL Yea. I will give the pens their due - they played hard. They will be a force to be reckoned with in the next 5 years. Frankly it seemed like Detroit again tried to help the Pens because they had so many stupid penalties. Then again, the pens had a few costly ones too but youd think in a Finals game where all you need to do is hold a lead after you have pretty much dominated a team that you could not give up stupid penalties.

But the Wings defense was stifling and Ozzie was as said, just superb. I look forwards seeing the Pens there again..maybe a couple more time in the next 5 years. With time they can only get better.

Post June 6th, 2008, 7:19 pm

Post June 6th, 2008, 9:47 pm

I could not have said it better myself. Of course, with the finals placement this year and a new arena opening in less than two years ... I think many will be sticking around for a bit.

Consider this as fodder: For example, Mark-Andre Fleury was drafted 5 years ago. In 5 years he has earned his spot. Again, I just think many will be staying on for some time to come.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion