Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Dive Machine help.

Dive Machine help.

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post August 1st, 2008, 11:58 am

Points on hand: 2,506.00 Points

Quick question.
I am making a new Dive Machine inspired by the pictures that Alton took and just becuase their really cool. But the one problem with the ride is the holding brake before the drop. I can easily do it just with a normal brake but i would like to know how to do it with a chain, so it looks more realistic. Ive tried it but it only slows down and doesnt stop. Ive seen it on a ride before, Black Halo by Wingover. But im really not sure how to do it.
If anybody can help me then it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Jordz.
Last edited by Jordz on August 1st, 2008, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post August 1st, 2008, 12:58 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I don't believe it comes to a complete stop on Black Halo. Similarly, I don't believe they come to a full stop on the real dive machines

Post August 1st, 2008, 1:01 pm

Points on hand: 827.00 Points
It took me a little while to figure it out when I was making a dive machine, but it's fairly simple. Put the speed to 1 or 2 mph, whichever you prefer, Acceleration to 0.1, & the deceleration to 2.5(works perfectly), & there you go, A perfect holding break.

Post August 1st, 2008, 1:05 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

What I would do is make a very small brake section right after a chain section at the top of the drop, small enough that a brake doesn't show up in the simulator. This way, you can have the train lowered very slowly over the drop, then stopped at the end of the chain for a few seconds, then released by the "invisible" brake. You'll have to mess around with acceleration and stuff on the chain and brake, but I know it works.

Post August 1st, 2008, 1:07 pm

Thanks so much! Ill definately try them out and see what happens! Thanks.

Post August 1st, 2008, 1:23 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

I don't believe it comes to a complete stop on Black Halo. Similarly, I don't believe they come to a full stop on the real dive machines

Sheikra and Griffon do, dunno bout Oblivion.

One thing you could do is time it so that the the chain will hold the train until the next block is free. This is a method you could use back before brakes had the holding option in NL to simulate a real launch. It does mean that you'd have to have a lot of trains (including one that sits on the lift) and no MCB, but if you're really looking to be realistic, that's the closest you can get.

Post August 1st, 2008, 1:37 pm

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

I would say that both Sheikra and Oblivion stop completely for a very brief period, and a chain with a continuous roll would be not entirely accurate.

I was happy with my drop brake on the Coca Cola Plunge, but i didnt release that, so i would not be able to show it to you... lol

Post August 1st, 2008, 1:46 pm

Post August 1st, 2008, 1:49 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

neither on sheikra or oblivion odes the train 100% stop at any time, its alwasy moving but extreamly slowly.

just use a section of chain like guitarplayer673 said and it will work well
Making screams come true

Post August 1st, 2008, 2:14 pm

The main reason i wanted to use a lift was becuase i knew that they didnt completely stop. Also, on Black Halo (sorry to keep going on about it), but on the lift section goes to a speed of 0.0621504mph, but you cant go under 0.6mph. Is there someway of doing this?

Post August 1st, 2008, 2:49 pm

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

Post August 1st, 2008, 3:02 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

look closly, yoiu can just see the track still moving slightly, it dont stop.

same if you go stand in the 2nd floor of the towers in alton you can see right across the drop and you can see oblivion still moves.

ill try and see if i can get a diagram of the chain breaking mechanism so you can see why it dosent stop
Making screams come true

Post August 1st, 2008, 3:44 pm

Points on hand: 304.00 Points
Ive been on 3 DM and they dont stop just really slow...

Post August 1st, 2008, 3:55 pm

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
well in that vid i noticed that it stopped for a split second, then started moving again veeeeery slowly.
Cradled by two loving arms that I'd die for,
One little kiss and Felina goodbye.

Post August 1st, 2008, 4:46 pm

Is there any way of slowing a chain to below 0.6mph?

Post February 16th, 2009, 12:35 pm

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
Idk, I was hoping this topic could continue, 'cause i'm curious myself! [;)]

Post February 16th, 2009, 12:56 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by Jordz

Is there any way of slowing a chain to below 0.6mph?

with a tool called the power tweaker

Post February 16th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
DARN, it is not availiable anymore, cause the construction kit is not availiable, because GM studios.com is not availiable anymore!

THIS SUCKS!

Post February 24th, 2009, 6:35 pm

Points on hand: 1,432.00 Points
^You can still get it (see link), you just can't buy a license, and you don't need a license to use the power tweaker anyway.

http://www.coastercrazy.com/users/wws/NoLimits_Construction_Kit.zip

Post February 24th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

Originally posted by alton_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdW8dEDPALI&feature=related

Gazag, i'm pretty sure it stops.
Originally posted by gazag

look closly, yoiu can just see the track still moving slightly, it dont stop.

same if you go stand in the 2nd floor of the towers in alton you can see right across the drop and you can see oblivion still moves.

ill try and see if i can get a diagram of the chain breaking mechanism so you can see why it dosent stop

Yeah, most definatly does not stop, you can also, easily, see the wheels from when sitting on the trains and they definatly keep on a rolling.

Post February 28th, 2009, 1:46 am

Points on hand: 117.00 Points
It DOSENT stop. The chain dog is mounted on the very last car(if you noticed, the 3rd row is further spaced then the 1st and 2nd rows are), and if the coaster were to suspend all of the weight of the train on the last car, the chain dog would eventually snap. So they have to keep the train moving at some constant speed. And for the quarter second that it DID stop, that was the drive tire trying to get traction after the brake slow the train down from the speed gathered when it was turning around after the lift.

Post February 28th, 2009, 12:00 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Although I have no clue what you were saying GTzeroH, I do know you are right. I have been on Sheikra more than most members on this site and have noticed that the ride does not stop no matter what. It is indeed a miniscule ammount of movement but the wheels are still rotating.

By the way, just a bit of a knowledge info, but did you know Sheikra is acutally the first B&M Dive Machine that truly drops 90 degrees straight down?
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post February 28th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I'm pretty sure GT is right.

And SheiKra looks amazing.

I want to go to BGA so badly.

Post February 28th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
BGA really has an outstanding line-up of coasters. Minus Gwazi, Cheetah Chase, and possibly Scorpion, you got Kumba, Montu, and Sheikra!
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post February 28th, 2009, 7:03 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by rcking04

BGA really has an outstanding line-up of coasters. Minus Gwazi, Cheetah Chase, and possibly Scorpion, you got Kumba, Montu, and Sheikra!

How dare you to not call scorpion something outstanding. It's one of the few classic swarchkopf coasters that are left in the world.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Next

Return to No Limits Coaster