Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Millennium Force and GCI

Millennium Force and GCI

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post August 21st, 2008, 12:44 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Why is it that when you ride airless wooden pieces of crap such as Wildcat, Lightning Racer, and Roar (SFA), they are critically acclaimed while Millennium Force gets ripped to shreds for being "airless" after the first hill because it is mostly floater.

Lightning Racer/Wildcat/Roar (SFA):
Mild floater air, if that
Bunch of turns
Wooden

Millennium Force:
Floater air
Bunch of turns
Steel

Plz explain fanboys.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 21st, 2008, 12:59 am

Points on hand: 872.00 Points
Maby becasue the bunch of turns on the wood give a whole other feeling? I've not riden MF or any of the woodies you've stated, but if the woodies come anything close in wildness to Troy I can imagine why people like the GCI things!

Post August 21st, 2008, 1:38 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
It's not just the lack airtime that makes MF janky. It's the general lack of force or down right enjoyable transitions (meaning MF's are slow and stretched).

The GCIs on the other hand include very quick and fun transitions and the feeling of a wooden roller coaster, in my opinion, is a great sensation, whether air is present or not.

Don't compare steel to wood, either.

Post August 21st, 2008, 2:16 am

Points on hand: 929.00 Points
Bank: 2,385.00 Points
^ That is a good arguement, but you cannot judge a coaster just on turns. How about crowds? MF wins. Smoothness (everyone who is not a coaster freak would want this)? MF wins. Speed? MF wins.

Post August 21st, 2008, 2:29 am

Pacing? MF fails. Big time...

Smoothness (everyone who is not a coaster freak would want this)?

Wrong again. 85% of my friends prefer a rattling woodie over a glassy steel any day.

Post August 21st, 2008, 3:09 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Why can't you compare steel to wood?

Look at lines for wooden rides vs. steel rides. Your friends don't matter...the lines do.

I think MF had good pacing, and only really lost it at the end of the second overbank, and to a lesser extent the second camelback. I blacked out for nearly the entire second half of the first overbank. The sustained speed on the low turns I found to be very thrilling in the front of the train.

GerstlCrazy, the way you state some of your points is really annoying because you seem to try to make your statements into facts, when truthfully many are opinions and some others are simply false. I think EElover2 exaggerated when he said "everyone who isn't a coaster freak" but I think he's a lot more right than you are with your friends example. That's fine, sure, but like I said...look at the lines. Rides like Millennium Force and others are people eaters too, and they still get ridiculous lines year after year, whereas I know I personally have never waited more than 20 mins for a wooden ride that isn't named El Toro.

Post August 21st, 2008, 3:42 am

EElover made a false generalization, and the thing is, it's easily false because I'm sure at least 5-10% of the GP would prefer rough over smooth just because of personal preferences (just like you were talking of).

A lot of times I'm up-front about my opinions, I understand. That particular statement about my friends was a 100% legitimite contradiction. Not everyone does want smoothness, and even though MF's lines beat most by a drastic margin, not everyone prefers that ride. I don't understand why you think EElover's point is more valid than mine.

Post August 21st, 2008, 4:43 am

More people ride steel coasters. I don't think he's right that everyone who isn't a coaster enthusiast likes them best, but the way you stated it made it seem that 85% of your friends liking woodies means 85% of GP does. I see what you mean, but sometimes how you put your point can turn people off.

Post August 21st, 2008, 7:19 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Bigger lines does not always mean the ride is better though? It just means its more eye catching and appears more exciting and entertaining. You put a 300 foot tall plus coaster next to a 100 foot coaster, which one will the majority say looks the more thrilling ride? For example, if you put TTD next to Nemesis, most of the GP would pick TTD just because of its insane speed and height, but does that make it a better ride? NO. Its appearances of rides that often get it the line, not necessarily the actual experience itself.

Post August 21st, 2008, 8:20 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Well I have ridden MF, LR, and Wildcat with the old trains...and I enjoyed all 3 of them. MF tho I would say I enjoyed the most just because I have always tried to ride in the back. The back gives a different ride from the front I'm sure...but the air going down the hills is better than the front when u go up them easy IMO...and the speed seems much faster.

The woodies are meant to be rough and more aggressive than steel coasters...even tho GCI's woodies arre for the most part smooth except for gwazi from the ones i've been on...but while not impossible...it's difficult to compar wood to steel because there are 2 completely different approaches on the type of ride.

For example...has there ever been a 300 foot woodie?...No...becauses judging by how rough Son Of Beast was when i rode it...it'd prollay kill people...but a steelie like Wildcat or LR is rarely seen because it doesnt A) fit into a hyper/giga/stratacoaster category B) go upside down or C)Launch...even thought they race...you just don't see it because they are two completely different styles from different companies and are built to accomplish different things.

So nobody's wrong...it's more of an opinion thing on who prefers what.
D-MILZ

Post August 21st, 2008, 9:07 am

I think you can not realy compare how wood rides compared to steel because it depends to much on the style of the builder. Also, lines are not realy a good comparison. In the netherlands the lines for Python, a Vekoma double loop corck are most of the times way longer than the lines of Goliath@walibi World. And believe me, Goliath is 100x better!

So unless the builders are the same and they are in the same park smoothness, style and lines come down to a personal choise.

Post August 21st, 2008, 9:08 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Lightning Racer offered no G forces to me whatsoever. Wildcat and Roar felt like they were trying to give me something but failed at it.

Millennium Force gave me some air does exactly what it was designed to do. Haul ass. That ride is slamming around the course fast as all hell the whole time and doesn't let up till the brakes. Yeah the overbanks can get repetitive, but you have to remember the general crowd at Cedar point does not go more than twice a year, where as many enthusiasts end up at the park every two weeks.

Post August 21st, 2008, 9:41 am

^can't imagine MF tossing you around more than Troy, the last part has been compared to the Voyage by many, and we all know how that goes don't we? Also, Troy, and suposingly many other GCI's have little pops, where MF has a more substained airtime. Thats what make the diffrenct.

Post August 21st, 2008, 10:40 am

Points on hand: 226.00 Points
Pretty sure I was leaving my seat due to airtime on Lightning Racer when I was at the park last week. Also MF sucks. Superman Ride of Steel kicks its ass. (SFNE)

Post August 21st, 2008, 11:37 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

At 11pm with nearly full trains Lightning Racers was a VERY good ride with a LOT of air time in both the front and back. Awesome ride.

Wildcat and Roar do suck...Wildcat has the 1 good moment in the helix after the s-hill where the track drops while banked and gives a good pop of air.

Post August 21st, 2008, 12:06 pm

Points on hand: 226.00 Points
^ Though Wildcat and Roar where one of the first GCI coasters so they where not really as good as the new ones are now.

Post August 21st, 2008, 12:25 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Originally posted by Topdrag

Also MF sucks. Superman Ride of Steel kicks its ass. (SFNE)

Also you suck. Idiot.

You sound like you're saying MF sucks because Superman Ride of Steel kicks its ass.

Nobody gives it a chance because of dipholes like these. I rode it six years ago, before I knew anything about it actually being called a bad coaster, and I absolutely loved it and it instantly became my favorite coaster.

The drop on that ride is the best, most intense, longest, fastest drop I have EVER been on. I got great, sustained 0G's (not negative, just about flotation point) on the first camelback over the river. They could have shrunk the size of the two overbanks on the island to make it faster paced, yes, but there's really nothing wrong with them. The second hill, over the river, doesn't offer too too much, but I'm pretty sure I got close to 0 g's. Then the little hill by the station whipped me over, that's a great addition.

And another trait that many don't mention is its look. The lift hill / drop structure is still, in my opinion, the coolest, biggest, most behemoth looking coaster structure I've ever seen. It looks so spectacular standing there in its monstrosity when driving down the road for the park, you can just see MF towering with it's enormous supports. Another thing I like about it is that you can see it from almost anywhere. You can look over there and see this beautiful blue Intamin track, and watch the train fly over the very top of an element.

As many others have mentioned, it's for the general public too. Not just people that will judge the ride as soon as they hit the brakes and be sure to tell everyone how bad it is so that they don't give it a chance when they get there. People will look at it, and see parts of it all around the park over the trees. In fact, many don't even realize that the drop is way over by the lake and the overbank that they see sticking out is actually part of the ride. It just looks appealing, thrilling. And most of them haven't been on El Toro, Voyage, or whatever else I Love You! that the enthusiasts ride that they think is better than MF, so they find the ride very awesome when it's done. Millennium Force still continues to be the longest wait for a ride that I've ever seen.

And it's 8 years old.

That's all I have to say.

I love it, and always will.

Post August 21st, 2008, 2:04 pm

Yeah, MF has had long lines for years. Appearance has the potential to make lines, and ride quality is a great factor in a ride keeping them through the years.

Why would you compare a steel in one park to that of another? That makes no sense, since there are so many variables you changed...population of that area, demographics, etc. Compare a steel to a wood coaster in most parks, and the steel rides usually have the longest lines.

I think SROS SFNE is definately superior to MF, but yeah I agree that SROS being better does not make MF suck. MF is also one of my favorite rides...I think most people who don't like it are looking for something it just wasn't designed for. MF was designed to be very thrilling and attract people, while not being too intense or over-the-top for families to ride.

RCT, I'm not sure what Troy has to do with this conversation. Yeah, there are going to be some wooden coasters that people consider better than MF, for whatever reason. But to compare it on the basis of how out of control it is...that's like me saying: hey, Troy can't be good because it doesn't have the insane ejector airtime of El Toro. Sure it can, just for another reason. Rides are good for different reasons, which is why I don't quite understand your point.

Post August 21st, 2008, 3:40 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

Pretty sure I was leaving my seat due to airtime on Lightning Racer when I was at the park last week. Also MF sucks. [:)]Superman Ride of Steel kicks its ass.[:)] (SFNE)

Thats the truest statement of this entire topic. That coaster even bruses the entire parks butt. Man that thing is packed with g-force in both directions. The transition hills give major ejector for heavens sake. And during ert at the ace preservation conference, I went on it 8 times. I know were the forces are on that thing. The only hills without major ejector is the 1st trans. hill, and the
firs hill before the overbank.([:D][:D]nooo line![:D][:D] Everytime it gave me the blackout effect on the turn out of the first trans. hill. And the overbank.The drop is ejector heavan too.

But i still think the drop on millenium beat it.

Post August 21st, 2008, 3:50 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

^ Though Wildcat and Roar where one of the first GCI coasters so they where not really as good as the new ones are now.

Batman and Iron Wolf were B&M's first coasters and they managed not to blow ass.

Post August 21st, 2008, 5:06 pm

Yeah I like those two about equally, they're fun rides. At the same time I think you have to give GCI credit for their rapid improvement though. With that said, of course with something like a roller coaster, it's best to do a great job the first time like B&M lol.

Post August 21st, 2008, 5:17 pm

Dcs221: He asked why people judge MF for not having airtime while they don't judge GCI's for not having that. And everything you said is the same as my opinion, I just didn't say it in such way that it was understandeble for you guys...:P

Post August 21st, 2008, 5:34 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Originally posted by Kyle Sloane

That coaster even bruses the entire parks butt.

You're retarded.

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Batman and Iron Wolf were B&M's first coasters and they managed not to blow ass.

Well, you got the Batman part right.

Iron Wolf is probably the worst coaster I've ever been on.

Post August 21st, 2008, 5:40 pm

I've been on the 3 GCIs he mentioned and they're completely different from the much newer Troy. Troy may have air, but the three he mentioned don't have too much. It may not be like this say at night, but when I rode Lightning Racer, the first few hills were the best and they were close to 0-g's, but it wasn't like B&M quality 0-g's. The rest of the ride was almost all like +.2 g's. Wildcat and Roar only have little pops of air, but there aren't many pops, nor are they as sustained as it seems Troy's might be. That's why Troy didn't fit in the conversation, because it's completely different from what ckmwm mentioned in his first post.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions