Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Fight Amp/Rosetta/Kylesa Boston, MA 1/25

Fight Amp/Rosetta/Kylesa Boston, MA 1/25

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post January 27th, 2011, 11:28 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Rather than just posting photos in the photo thread, I thought I'd do somewhat of a review of the show, like I did for the Isis farewell show (+ Melvins) last summer. My pics aren't great, I used my S90 due to having to take the godawful Green Line B train to the show and not wanting to take my SLR for fear of someone falling into me and breaking it. Ever see that video of the people being packed into the Japanese train by the conductors? That's the Green B, except the people are all loud annoying Boston University kids.

I also had to use very high ISOs because the venue had poor lighting. I did take some with flash, which are obviously technically better, however I prefer using slower shutter speeds because I feel like the motion blur and grain captures the feel of live music better, at least when I get something usable.

The venue was the Great Scott in Allston, which is pretty much the central location in Boston for live music. The place itself was tiny, pretty much just a regular bar with a small stage in the back. I'm surprised Kylesa was able to fit, since they have 5 members, two of them being drummers, and the bassist and one of the guitarists also have their own drum setup. It was no Middle East or Paradise Rock Club, but a cool place overall.

IMG_0002RAW by Boulderdashcci, on Flickr

First up was Fight Amp
Fight Amp by Boulderdashcci, on Flickr

I hadn't really heard of this band, besides listening to a couple low quality live videos on Youtube, so I wasn't sure what to expect. They played a short set, about 20-30 minutes, and while the songs themselves weren't really memorable as they kind of meshed together, they were very good. I'd describe them as basic sludge metal with some noise rock and punk influences. On a side note, Matt Weed of Rosetta was standing right next to me for their set.....Someone who's music I've been a fan of for years standing about a foot away from me was kind of surreal.

Next was Rosetta, who as I said I've been a fan of for many years. Unfortunately I had never been able to see them live before, but I think it was worth the wait.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/boulderdashcci/5389138981/"]Rosetta[/url] by Boulderdashcci, on Flickr

If you ever have a chance to see these guys, do it. They might be the best live band I have ever seen, or at least top two. I'm not sure how else to describe it other than to say they are very "personal"....Mike Armine is extremely energetic and puts everything he has into the music.
Rosetta by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/boulderdashcci/
]Boulderdashcci[/url], on Flickr

Rosetta by Boulderdashcci, on Flickr

The only thing I was let down by was the short set. They only got to play about 5 songs, but I think this was the venue's fault, since everything seemed pretty scheduled. Their set was completely Determinism of Morality songs, but I can't complain about that as it's a very strong album. I hope I get to see them headline some time, and hopefully a longer set would include some Galilean Satellites and Wake/Lift songs as well. I also got to talk to Armine a little bit as he was packing up his stuff, really nice guy.

Finally the headliner Kylesa. I'm still kind of on the fence with them.....I like their music for the most part, but I think I would have been way more into them back when I really loved Mastodon. They played an awesome set though.
Kylesa by Boulderdashcci, on Flickr

Kylesa played about 10 songs, and sort of an encore drum solo thing. I had to leave fairly quickly after it was over to make my train, so they may have played one more after the drum solo, but I'm not sure. Overall though it was an amazing show with 3 very good bands. I was mostly there for Rosetta, and in my opinion they were the best of the three, but the whole show was very very good.

Thanks for reading. Full photo set here

Post January 27th, 2011, 11:53 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

Hey I was at this show! I must have been right behind you during Kylesa, I was basically between Laura and the bass player, maybe four people back from the stage.

Anyway, great pictures and a really amazing show, I was there for Kylesa but caught the last ~20 minutes of Rosetta's set and was completely blown away. I'd heard of them before but never heard them at all, and they're actually pretty similar to what my band is trying to do right now so I'm definitely glad I found them.

Edit: Haha, looking at your pictures on flickr, I was somewhere behind these two assholes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boulderdas ... 908651236/

Post January 28th, 2011, 12:01 am

I have never seen any band (including live videos and whatnot) as into their music as Rosetta, especially Armine. It seems like some bands don't even want to make eye contact with the crowd, whereas Armine was pulling the crowd into it with him. Dunno if you saw him leaning on peoples heads and into the crowd, but he did it to me a couple times lol. Just amazing set all around.

What were you wearing? I probably saw you on my way out (I went to the back of the room for the drum solo thing). I was in a Mogwai Young Team hoodie...found myself in some of the pro-shoot pics:

Gonna have to meet up some time. You going to anything any time soon? All I got lined up is Mogwai in April and possibly the Deftones/Dillenger which I forget when that one is.

Edit: lol you weren't with those two drunk girls trying to start a pit were you?

Post January 28th, 2011, 12:10 am

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

I'll be back at Great Scott in a couple weeks, Scott Kelly from Neurosis is playing there Feb 10th, but other than that I can't think of any show I'm going to any time soon.

I don't recognize you though, I guess it was a busy place. I was wearing a Death t-shirt (I think).

Post January 28th, 2011, 12:15 am

I saw the Scott Kelly thing but there's a good chance I'll have to work so I don't think I can make it, and I'm not a huge fan his solo folk stuff anyway. I do love Neurosis though.

Return to Off Topic Discussion