Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion I figure this is an important issue to discuss

I figure this is an important issue to discuss

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post September 9th, 2008, 10:40 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Post September 9th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,873.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

hmmm particle orgy?
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post September 9th, 2008, 11:05 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,511.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Originally posted by Oscar

hmmm particle orgy?

XDDDDDDD

Post September 9th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

We've already destroyed the Earth, I see no harm in this.

Post September 10th, 2008, 12:06 am

Points on hand: 571.00 Points

Post September 10th, 2008, 12:39 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Do you people know how insulting it probably feels to be a physicist with a doctorate who has been studying this stuff for DECADES to have some teens run around spreading crap all over the walls?

Paleontologists get the worst of this with the priests, media figures, parents (who learned it from one of the two beforehand) making stuff up (usually on accident from the huge collection of bad information available. Most bad information can be found in science classes below or sometimes at the high school level). Soon mathematics will be declared evil and a "test of faith" because certain curves fit radioactive decay rates in elements and that doesn't fit into what people "like". Well everything we've ever dated may be wrong since they figured out recently that decay rates might differ depending on the earth's distance from the sun. It'll be interesting to see how much that throws everything off.

The person claiming it could make black holes WAS a radiation safety officer and has a law degree. There are two situations that this gentleman probably corresponds with:

1. You can get the "radiation safety officer" job in certain industry sectors with a bachelors degree. A bachelors degree in physics is an accomplishment so the guy presenting this theory is no dummy but credentials should always be considered when reading this kind of stuff. Professionals make mistakes. An old crime of geology is dating a zircon crystal or anything else radioactive like that in a sandstone and using that to date it. You didn't date the sandstone, you dated the granite pluton that eroded, was transported a distance, and then hardened into the sandstone, not the sandstone and made an ass of yourself in print. Masters or PhD is the ticket.

2. This guy has a doctorate in physics but randomly threw in the towel and said "Hey screw this science crap I'd rather be a lawyer specializing in scientific stuff that'll get paid oodles of money since that kind of lawyer is so rare!".

If it's case two, lets hope he makes an ass out of himself.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 10th, 2008, 12:52 am

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

what i find funny is, it wont be for another month or so before they do the test that would cause the blackhole. this test has less than 0.00000000000000000 percent chance of a blackhole informing. We have a better chance of all volcanoes erupting at the same time than having a blackhole occur during this test.

and by really really tiny, they mean, really really freaking tiny. tinier than we can perceive. that's the problem with humans, we can't see things on their true scale.

Post September 10th, 2008, 3:22 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

so basically what you're saying is that just because some one dedicated their life to learning a science, they should be able to poke and prod wherever they want regaurdless of any potential negative outcome that might swallow up the earth.

When do they call it quits? Is finding out one answer really worth the risk of our whole planet? Im sure as they discover more, each of their procedures as well as their machines become far more complex and as a result come with much greater risks. But, hey, they've all got their doctorines, they would never screw up because they are 100% infallable people.

Even the most trained and highly intelligent people can make a mistake. Im sure they do their homework very thoroughly, but they're could always be that 1 flaw that they missed which f**ks the whole thing up.

Look at the failed Mars rover missions from the 90's. Im sure they had some of the best people in the world working on that, but they still managed to screw it up that first time. And some times you just dont get a second chance.

Post September 10th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Any blackhole the LHC does create is a) too small and b) too unstable and will vanish in less than a second.

The most damage the LHC could do is send the particle into the cement wall surrounding the ring.

Post September 10th, 2008, 3:29 pm

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

Not that i have anything to contribute other then..

In this mornings paper, the head line was

*IF YOU ARE READING THIS THE WORLD HASN'T COME TO AN END*

Doh?
Rarwh

Post September 10th, 2008, 3:40 pm

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
to be fair i don't care, if it is our time to die, then so be it, you can't stop the inevitable, i mean i would rather take the risk that we may be the 10 billionth dimension( i believe that every choice or probability creates a new dimension for each of the possibilities that could happen) that just so happens to get a black hole in the center of the earth that nibbles away before finally gobbling us up with the squishing and the stretching 100 times a second .etc then that's OK, it was our turn to be the butt of a world ending thing and there is nothing you can do about it. besides, the thing is already up and running. I would like to see this 'god particle' myself. Oh well, whatever happens I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride. have fun everyone, life is roller coaster, make it a good one!

Post September 10th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

This experiment is absolutely amazing, but I don't think the world is coming to an end today...Not that I know a thing about this topic, just from what I have heard. Good luck to them though!

Post September 10th, 2008, 4:16 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Well they tested the machine today, but the actual experiment is suppose to happen in a week or two or something.

Post September 10th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

I heard it will happen in two months?
Well, anyway, i don't really believe this could make any damage...
I mean, if there was risk, they wouldn't do it...

Post September 10th, 2008, 4:59 pm
rcmaniac25 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,275.00 Points

Almost everyone at my school claims it will destroy the world. I wouldn't worry about it. They have been doing this for years, just on a smaller scale. The black holes the device will produce will be almost the size of an atom. Not big enough to destroy the world. Black Holes (In theory) cannot grow. One of the goals at CERN is to try and find if Black Holes actually exist since it has been theory and speculation for years.

Sources:
Popular Science magazine
History Channel
Discovery Channel
Wikipedia (which has it's own sources)
etc.

Post September 10th, 2008, 5:57 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Coolbeans what I'm saying is that more qualified people should be determining what is more likely than newspaper reporters. I never said they're perfect people, I was saying with more qualifications comes less error in most cases.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 10th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
Hmmm, I really wouldnt mind if a black hole opened up and destroyed the universe. Who really knows whatll happen right?

Post September 10th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

^We'd be stuck in eternal darkness and slowly die.

Post September 10th, 2008, 6:23 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

i hear christian groups are scientifically recreating noahs flood as we speak..

Post September 10th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

You would be stretched so quickly you wouldnt know about it.

Post September 10th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

[lol] Jayman!

I was honestly hoping the LHC would start running sooner, but delays are prone to happen I guess. To me, I think this is going to be a huge answer to scientific research, and it may or may not unlock new possibilities to how the universe became.

Post September 10th, 2008, 8:02 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
lol, when you said *important*, i knew this was going to be about the Hadron Collider. I learned all about what its going to do in Chem today. Interesting idea, a little risky it seems though. If done correctly, physics is real, if done wrong, or if calculated wrong, a black hole. Obvisouly though, a black hole would only be a size of the protons that are being collided. Its interesting how these people know all about this. I really want to see the outcome of this project, but hoping it won't be an either; 1, the world dies. lol, or 2, we just made HUGE history.

Post September 10th, 2008, 8:06 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
Key Phrase, "Don't mess with quantum physicists." 1.) Because they don't know what they are doing and neither do you so don't pretend you do, and 2.) Without them, we would still be clueless about half of our worlds composition, and the way things work on the universal level.

They are just like every other person. They make mistakes, but they at least try to make a difference, and discover new things, and for that, I'm really rather thankful we have people creating things like this. Its interesting to me to discover all the "weird things" that people want to know. Who cares if we are playing "god"? If god didn't want us to do things like this, he wouldn't allow us too. (I'm agnostic by the way, so don't turn this into a religion argument.... please.... that would be stupid.)

Post September 10th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I believe nothing is going to happen. End of story. Like I've read everywhere, the black holes are microscopic and will disappear literally just as they are created.

Post September 10th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Prior to turning it on, hopefully they have applied the latest service patch -- lest they get accused of contracting out to fix the ID-10-T error that will surely come from it.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion