Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Would you ride this?

Would you ride this?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post September 12th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Guys - There is a decent survey going on over on C2K (exclusively) in reference to the design, building, and ride preference of an inverted wooden coaster. If you are interested in talking directly to the designer and copyright owner of this patent, please go here:

http://www.coasters2k.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=981

Thanks for the opportunity to share this with you all.

TConwell

Post September 12th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Points on hand: 2,481.00 Points

god no... that would probably collapse if some fatass got on it [shocked]

Post September 12th, 2008, 11:05 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
^ Smooth..... real smooth. Your saying ANY wooden coaster could collapse then. Think a little next time.

As said before, I like this idea. Hopefully it becomes a reality soon.

Post September 12th, 2008, 11:35 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

would i ride it? sure..
if i were a real life amusement park owner and it was a real life ride would i build it? why would i do that?
people like cars, people like motorcycles, but what would be the point of a 4 wheeled motorcycle, or a two wheeled car????

Post September 13th, 2008, 12:06 am

Originally posted by coasterking1993

god no... that would probably collapse if some fatass got on it [shocked]

Wow ..... [stupid]

Post September 13th, 2008, 9:43 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
interesting concept, Only how are you going to bank the track properly? Since you need to keep room in the structure for the vehicles. It looks interesting but i'm still doubting about making it work 100%, normally when you bank track the space is going to be less width. But with an inverted train it should become even bigger.

Can't wait to see some nice 3d rendered concepts, since these few screens still make it hard for me to visualize a working ride.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post September 13th, 2008, 10:17 am

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
Jensenator and I actually had a great idea for a ride, We spent an entire night drawing multiple drafts and concepts to perfect it, and we have a final draft, but the one hump we can't get over is cost. Its an extremly safe design, and probably one of the smoothest working rides ever, but the cost would be ridiculous, and as bad as I feel for saying this (sorry Jensen) I just can't see it becoming a reality because of cost, and I've abandoned the entire project. We were prepared to hire patent lawyers and contact some contractors to present the idea too...

Post September 13th, 2008, 11:07 am

Just as info, the designer is not a member here .... so if you wanna chat with him and ask questions (and not feel like he is not getting back to you), please follow the link above to C2K. Thanks.

Post September 13th, 2008, 11:28 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
I wouldn't mind riding. If I came across it in a park, I wouldn't skip it.

I'm just worried abour realisation. A 45 degree banked turn would need an immense support structure.

Post September 13th, 2008, 2:54 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

http://www.gordonrides.com/invertedwoodencoaster.html

[lol] I like the little crappy nolimits wooden coaster layout.

To be fair, is there many people who haven't thought of this?

And can anyone else not see the tunnel test issues in the section view? [lol]

Post September 13th, 2008, 3:27 pm

Points on hand: 122.00 Points
Looks intresting to say the least...i guess i would ride it just too see what its like...but i'm really kinda confused about the whole idea of it i guess

Post September 13th, 2008, 3:44 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
You'd need something with pretty spread out supports. There would have to be really big beams going over the top and supporting the track parts, and then they would have to continue down to the support structure. When it comes down to it, steel is much more practical for inverters than wood is.

Post September 13th, 2008, 4:06 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

better comparison, people like hot coffee, people like cold ice cream, BUT when you mix the two you dont get something better than either, you get watery, lukewarm coffee flavored melted ice cream....

Post September 13th, 2008, 4:28 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post September 13th, 2008, 4:34 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
I gave this some more thought and to illustrate the impossibleness of this design. Image how the supports would look like on an inverted dive machine..

Post September 13th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

He isn't suggesting an Inverted Dive Machine though!

He is probably suggesting a classic woodie with very little banking, just inverted.

Post September 13th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Points on hand: 1,495.00 Points
It seems a little too under developed for me. I would like to see more pics of the ride.

Post September 13th, 2008, 6:51 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Post September 13th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
Originally posted by hyyyper

I gave this some more thought and to illustrate the impossibleness of this design. Image how the supports would look like on an inverted dive machine..

The supports on something like an inverted dive machine would be awesome. There would probably be a nice stack for the drop and then wide stuff everywhere else.

Post September 14th, 2008, 11:47 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

[lol] Has anyone else seen this as well, on hs website:

http://www.gordonrides.com/warringcoaster.html

"warring coaster", nothing at all like a "dueling coaster" ? [lol]

Post September 14th, 2008, 12:01 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
The guy has some nice ideas, but the warring coaster would be ridiculously expensive, and the wooden coaster would be extremly difficult to support. Before he releases an idea, he really needs to consider "everything". From worst case scenarios, to simple weather problems, and to me, it just doesn't seem like he's spending enough time considering these and other issues.

Post September 14th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Points on hand: 1,495.00 Points
very very true. I think he has a great idea he just needs to go back and consider every asspect of it all.

Post September 14th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Points on hand: 1,771.00 Points

Post September 14th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Points on hand: 2,188.00 Points
Do you guys really think that I haven't put a huge amount of thought into these designs? I mean, seriously - I wouldn't have spent the money to get patents on these concepts if I didn't think they were 1) buildable, 2) marketable, and 3) profitable. And that means that a tremendous amount of thought went into each design, and all of these issues that are being brought up already have good solutions.

Lets look at the Inverted Wooden Coaster and how it is supported, for example. You don't need enormous ledgers to accomplish banked turns, you need a rectangular rider envelope that banks to the correct degree on each bent, and then only the supportwork under that envelope, with some lateral bracing on the sides. Take a look at the C2K thread, page 1 - I have a crude illustration there.

As far as the ride being underdeveloped is concerned, I'll put up the following points: I don't post all of the images on my website because many of them are confidential GordonRides material (like the latest iterations), and second of all, this is the reason that I am doing the market research to begin with - before I pour huge amounts of time and money into getting a layout fully engineered, I want to make sure there is interest in the ride type. The main overarching engineering problems have already been solved, its the layout engineering and detailing of every bent that needs to be done.

Now a quick blurb about the Warring Coaster design. Yes, it would be amazingly expensive. That is why I have a very specific marketing plan in mind for it. But it certainly isn't impractical for a park willing to put the money into it.

My final point: all of these issues have been thought through very, very carefully. Before accusing me of shoddy work and not thinking through my ideas, consider the fact that I am not showing fully developed ideas because it could be detrimental to my intellectual property and my company. Also, remember that I am doing this market research to determine whether or not to fully invest in the idea.

Post September 14th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by tmv8888

The guy has some nice ideas, but the warring coaster would be ridiculously expensive, and the wooden coaster would be extremly difficult to support. Before he releases an idea, he really needs to consider "everything". From worst case scenarios, to simple weather problems, and to me, it just doesn't seem like he's spending enough time considering these and other issues.

Mike, if you saw some of the stuff that jon does over at C2K, you'd notice he's very qualified for this kind of thinking. I have doubts about the design, but don't question him so much. He's probably gone over thinking with this 10x more in depth than you and Jensen did.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion