Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Burj, Dubai

Burj, Dubai

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post February 14th, 2009, 9:22 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I like tall buildings and examples of amazing engineering.

I've been following the construction of this for a long time now, ever since the first plans were released. It is now not far off being completely finished.

It's TWICE the height of the Empire State Building, (which I was lucky enough to go up last year, thanks to my gorgeous girlfriend [;)]) and I can say that makes this building F-ing impressive:

http://www.burj-dubai-tower.org/gfx/burj_dubai.jpg

So, anyone else like this kinda stuff, I thought it was impressive enough to post about [:)]

Post February 14th, 2009, 10:00 am

Points on hand: 136.00 Points

I remember randomly searching for tall buildings on Emporis.info back in 2004 when Tapei 101 was the worlds newest and tallest skyscraper with a height of 509m. I also remember finding Burj Dubai in a list of concept buildings but I didn't really follow it's further progress ("An 800m high building.. yeah right"). I was quite '..wow'-ed when two years ago I found out they were actually building it and I'm still WOW!ed when I look at the pictures above. I wouldn't be surprised if they built Al Burj (http://kuusanmaki.com/blog/wp-content/u ... l_Burj.jpg) after this one is finished =)

Post February 14th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
you know, I saw this massive building on gizmodo some time ago and I was just flabber gasted by the shear height of the damn thing. I do happen to be interested in this kind of stuff as well, and I think its amazing that a building can be constructed so high, without being tilted by wind. Its amazing.
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post February 14th, 2009, 12:27 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

I don't think you could make me go up there....

Oh, and taipei 101 is still the prettiest on of them scyscrapers...

Post February 14th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Post February 14th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Yeah, I'm really interested in everything pretty much everything in Dubai. This building is pretty ridiculous, twice the height of the Empire State Building...Damn. Now just waiting for that hotel with the spinning floors to go up [lol]

Post February 14th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Yeah I love this kind of stuff. I've been following the construction of it. That Al Burj doesn't seem possible, but people have said that before and gotten proven wrong.

Post February 14th, 2009, 2:43 pm
Master of Puppets User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 4,581.00 Points

I've seen a couple of shows about it on Discovery Channel, certainly is interesting and they've had their share of challenges but it looks pretty sweet.

I'd love to visit Dubai some day, gonna have to start saving pennies though, doesn't look like a cheap place to go...

Post February 14th, 2009, 3:35 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Man, when is America going to get back in the running for world's tallest building? We haven't tried to break the world record since the 70's... hmm, maybe it's just because we're not the country that's compensating for something anymore.

Post February 14th, 2009, 4:25 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

[lol]

Dubai is a crazy place.

And they are planning to build Al Burj, although it seems insane, that building will be built. That "comparison chart" that ExTraxYz posted doesn't really do it justice, Al Burj looks like it's made from rock or something heh, the plans for that building are remarkable it has to be said.

Post February 14th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Points on hand: 3,207.00 Points

Man, when is America going to get back in the running for world's tallest building?
I think some of the reason no building plans like this have been approved here recently would have to do with the current economic status. (ex. $800 billion+ bailout bills being passed....) However:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Spire

Well, while this wouldn't be the tallest building in the WORLD, the Chicago Spire would definably be up there, and I'm sure there are other plans not widely known about. (This came to my attention when I saw a 75-foot-deep circular hole in the ground in Chicago in late December. [:D])

Post February 14th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
One of the other reasons that the United States is not constructing a building this high is because the government does not put money behind it like the government of the UAE. In the United States, all of the money to construct a sky scraper that large would need to come from private sources, and there just isn't that much motivation to go out and do it.

Post February 14th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Points on hand: 1,687.00 Points
The chicago spire is ugly! The mile high tower in Saudi Arabia is going to be a mile high!
I'm Better Looking Than You.

Post February 15th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
The chicago spire isnt ugly, its a marvelous peice of engineering.

It just looks like something else...for which I really wont comment on.

Post February 15th, 2009, 1:00 pm

^Yeah...I have to admit I chuckled at the rendering when I first saw it. [:)]
Let's just say that with the help of the new Trump Tower, the Chicago Spire will bring a whole new level of "erect" to the Chicago skyline... [:P]

Post February 16th, 2009, 3:01 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

The Chicago Spire certainly is ugly, as far as architecture goes, it's fairly poor. AND... yeah, it looks like a massive twisty penis.

It's not even like each individual floor rotates like the rotating sky scraper in Dubai will.

At least it's not Canary Wharf though, poor ass piece of w*nk

Post February 21st, 2009, 11:12 am

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

I think the Chicago Spire will still attract many people to Chicago, seems as it will be a residential building. Maybe it'll help the economy there a tad.

Post February 21st, 2009, 6:08 pm

And it will sure offer an incredible view of the more attractive architecture of the city. [:P]

On a side note, I heard from my uncle (who lives in Chicago and keeps up with these things) that the founder of Beanie Babies offered something like $40 million for the top two floors...whoa.

EDIT: http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com ... r-the.html

Post February 23rd, 2009, 6:07 pm

Post February 23rd, 2009, 6:20 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points

Post February 23rd, 2009, 6:33 pm

Dude the before and after picture. Just made my mouth drop.

Post February 23rd, 2009, 6:52 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

[lol] it's amusing how quickly the place has been transformed, it ust doesn't seem possible in 19 years, I bet they're like... what recession?

Post February 23rd, 2009, 6:56 pm

Haha yeah, I know, it's insane how fast that happened. I found that link like two hours ago and I'm still freaking out at the crazy poop they have going on.[shocked]

Post February 23rd, 2009, 8:10 pm

Post February 23rd, 2009, 9:00 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
So will Dubailand. "Dubailand will be built on 3 billion square feet (107 miles^2)" Wow.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion