Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster NL & Vista

NL & Vista

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post March 19th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,181.00 Points

I've been experiencing this really annoying problem with NL since I got my new computer that is running Vista x64. It has kept me from making coasters in ages, but now I really want to go back and start building again.
So here's my problem:

The installation of NL works fine, and so does the simulator - I can ride other people's coaster without any problems; the problem comes when I want to build a coaster myself, or check out how the coaster I ride are made.

In the editor I can see the menu and all the tools, but the construction site is just one white screen with nothing on it - no girders, no texture - nothing at all. That means that I don't have any opportunity to create

Here at CoasterCrazy, I've seen that several people are running NL fine with Vista - also my version of it. On the other hand, I've also heard that a few (really few) are experiencing problems, but nothing that comes close to my problem.

If there's anyone out there who has a solution - please speak! Right now I'm quite desperate; I'm missing NL so much.

~ Steffen Kristiansen

Post March 19th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Points on hand: 1,075.00 Points
its a long shot but you could right click on the icon go into propitys- compatibility and ru in compatibilty for xp sp2 and run it at administrator level

Post March 19th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Points on hand: 392.00 Points
You probly have the wrong drivers, or no drivers at all, installed. You should go to the manufacturer's website of your motherboard and video card, and download the latest drivers for you hardware. Make sure you download the right drivers for YOUR hardware. Otherwise, you could lock your whole pc. Then you might have to live through the hell of booting safe mode. AFTER, and ONLY AFTER you have installed the correct hardware drivers, check to see if your version of DirectX is the latest.
I run NL on a Windows 7 Beta, i mostly have no problems with it, other than the occasional double simulator window, Placing only the track file when opening a track package, but other than that, everything runs smoothly.

Post March 20th, 2009, 12:39 am

Originally posted by SixFlagsFiesta

I am running windows vista business x64 and have been since it came out, Never had any problems with NL.

Can you provide some system specs including graphics card?

It sounds like it could just be you need to update your video card driver.

Here's my specs:

AsusOtherDevices: Asus Kernel Enhanced Mode river, EIO Driver

Class for PDIports devices: PDI Kernel Ports Device Driver

Computer:
ACPI x-64 based computer

Disk Drives: NVIDIA Stripe 500GB

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers: ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel 1, NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA controller, Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE-controller

Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00 GHz

Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

RAM: 4.00 GB

its a long shot but you could right click on the icon go into propitys- compatibility and ru in compatibilty for xp sp2 and run it at administrator level

I've tried that - doesn't work[xx(]

You probly have the wrong drivers, or no drivers at all, installed. You should go to the manufacturer's website of your motherboard and video card, and download the latest drivers for you hardware. Make sure you download the right drivers for YOUR hardware. Otherwise, you could lock your whole pc. Then you might have to live through the hell of booting safe mode. AFTER, and ONLY AFTER you have installed the correct hardware drivers, check to see if your version of DirectX is the latest.
I run NL on a Windows 7 Beta, i mostly have no problems with it, other than the occasional double simulator window, Placing only the track file when opening a track package, but other than that, everything runs smoothly.

Ehh - where do I check out my drivers?

Post March 20th, 2009, 1:08 am

Points on hand: 1,244.00 Points
Drivers for your card are found at nvidia.com. Go there, download, and install the latest version for Vista x64. That will probably do the trick.

You might also try disabling desktop composition (right click icon, compatibility tab).

Post March 20th, 2009, 2:12 am

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

It does sound like ur drivers tbh, tho it could be Vista x64, but SixFlagsFiesta says he has x64 and it runs fine

Here is your drivers
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x ... _whql.html

(Assuming your running Vista x64? )
Rarwh

Post March 20th, 2009, 11:18 am

It help installing the drivers you linked to Casper[:D] Finally!!

No I can start designing again - hurray!

That you very much for the help.

EDIT:

Okay - it worked for 1 time; now it has gone back to the white screen[V]

Post March 20th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Try running NL editor in Software rendering mode (should be a program if u search nolimits in the vista menu search box )

Rarwh

Post March 21st, 2009, 12:10 am

You are a genius[:D] It worked again; I hope it lasts more than just one time this time,

Post March 21st, 2009, 12:42 am

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Yeah but that will be much slower than if it ran with the GPU rendering. But your e8400 is going to run that as well as anything as it is not multithreaded in any way, shape, or form.

Post March 21st, 2009, 1:13 pm

Yes - you are right; it's lagging so much that I can't use it[:(!]

Post March 21st, 2009, 4:57 pm

Post March 21st, 2009, 5:06 pm

Post March 22nd, 2009, 10:57 am

What happenes if u try running it normaly, but changing the compatibility to XP?
Rarwh

Post March 22nd, 2009, 3:10 pm

Post March 22nd, 2009, 3:59 pm

Originally posted by SteffenK

How do I do that?

right click icon, compatibility tab

Post March 22nd, 2009, 4:13 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Vista can suck my grandmas ass crack.

I was just on RCT2 building a park, I was working on it for like 2 hours and was really pleased with it, and then bang! automatic update f*cks the computer and restarts it without any confirmation from me at all, obviously losing all the stuff I'd just done, thank you microsoft.

Post March 22nd, 2009, 4:51 pm

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Try Win 7, the OS you have to code yourself to make it work. [lol]

Post March 23rd, 2009, 12:29 am

I've been thinking if it has something to say that I don't use my download like to install the game - I've got it from a cd instead, since the link is expired.

Return to No Limits Coaster