Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster newton2: a first look at the next version

newton2: a first look at the next version

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Points on hand: 1,244.00 Points
Many months in the making, I'm finally ready to reveal what's in store for the next version of newton. Rather than bore you with a description, why not give you a brief tour?

Here's a video overview of the new interface and features (for larger size, double click it to go to the YouTube page, then view in HD):

And here's an almost completed track done entirely with newton2:

F.A.Q.

When will it be released?
* When it's ready. [;)] Yeah, that's a cop out of an answer, but it's true. It's already quite stable now, but it will be anywhere from a few more weeks to a couple of months before I'd feel comfortable releasing it publicly.

Can I beta test it?
* No. I already have several competent testers. Thanks for asking, though!

What do I need to run it?
* If you can happily run the first version, nothing else is needed.

Will it run on a Mac?
* You should be able to run it if you have an Intel Mac with Bootcamp installed. If you have virtualization software, it might also run under that (but I'm guessing not very well).

What's new?
* The screencast link above covers many of the new features. That would be a good place to start.

Hey, I didn't see the feature I was looking for in that video. Any chance that newton2 can do it?
* Probably not...but never give up hope!

Can you add (fill in the blank) feature?
* To be blunt, no. I'm already quite exhausted, and I have to draw the line somewhere. However, feel free to list any requests, even if they almost certainly won't make it in this time around.

How much will it cost?
It will either be free or very, very cheap.

Where can I download version one of newton?
Right here. If you are wondering what newton is, the original will give you an excellent taste of what to expect with the new version.

Enjoy!

Edit: embedded YouTube videos; updated F.A.Q.
Last edited by entropy on May 30th, 2009, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post May 29th, 2009, 3:56 am

Points on hand: 1,075.00 Points
Wow, to be honest I wasn't a fan of the original Newton but now it has the functionality of newton all I can say is I can't wait!

Post May 29th, 2009, 5:08 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
I've been fortunate enough to help out as a tester. This program, in its current iteration, is THE best and most realistic way to design...and it's only getting better. Trust me, it'll be worth the wait, and he's continuously working hard on it. Make sure you all thank him for his work thus far, which will make such accurate and realistic design much more accessible to the masses, for those who choose to explore this route. Also, don't rush him, because the more he's rushed, the fewer suggestions I get to make and we don't want him to get bored with nothing left to do, do we? haha ;)

Oh yeah...just a little taste for you all. Though it may be hard to tell, some of the shaping here wasn't possible without either custom FVD modifications or unrealistic little tricks. Enjoy :)

Image Insert:
191.59 KB

Post May 29th, 2009, 6:23 am

Points on hand: 721.00 Points
Wow Entropy!

This looks like it's going to be the holy grail of coaster design!
Keep up the good work, i can't wait to download play around with it :)

greets
Mac

Post May 29th, 2009, 8:27 am

Points on hand: 2,333.00 Points
This is lookin CRAZY! Im trying to get a handle of FVDs and with this, maybe I won't need to! haha this will be great![worship]

Post May 29th, 2009, 8:52 am

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

OMG, this looks SO awesome!
Great work, can't wait to try it!

Post May 29th, 2009, 11:02 am

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points

Post May 29th, 2009, 11:24 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Post May 29th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Nobody would've noticed had you kept your mouth shut Matt ;)

Post May 29th, 2009, 2:56 pm

Points on hand: 1,244.00 Points
Originally posted by dcs221

Nobody would've noticed had you kept your mouth shut Matt ;)

Even I didn't notice...lol...and thanks for all your help.

Post May 29th, 2009, 2:58 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
I think i might stop taking time to do FVDs. This program looks great! Especially all the transition options and stuff. Now that is has separate time zones, its looking better and easier than them.

BTW DCS, do you think you will start using this instead of FVDs?

Post May 29th, 2009, 3:06 pm

Continuing using FVD until Newton's release will only help you...but I don't blame you if you do choose to stop.

Kyle, I haven't used FVD in months, but I have been using this a lot, and not just because I'm testing. As I said in my first post; at this point, it's [not perfect yet, but] currently the best way to design a track controlled by force vectors.

The track I showed in my screenshot was completed from station to station as one long element file comprised of the subsections you can see in Newton. I guess you saw that in Newton1, but it's such an advantage to be able to see and modify the entire track in real time within the program. I hate stitching elements in FVD...it's probably the most painful part...and you'll rarely have to do that with Newton. And yes, this track will see the light of day ;)

Of course, you're welcome entropy. I'm glad to be able to help out because I'm as excited about the final product as the rest of these guys :)

Post May 29th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
I agree, but do you think you will switch? You could do unbeleivable things with this new newton DCS.

I will use it because... well... now i can do the stuff that i dreamed i could do with this program.

Post May 29th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
i dont even know what this is ive never herd of it lol

Post May 29th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points
You should definitely check it out. It's a good and easy to learn program that makes the building process way quicker!
Just keep scrolling...

Post May 29th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Points on hand: 2,615.00 Points

While this looks fantastic, there is one problem...

Now everybody will make sublimely smooth tracks and awesome layouts and ratings will go from being high due to trackwork to being high due to 3D objects and custom scenery(which I and many other people can't make yet)

Anyway, I think that this looks great and wish you the best of luck in finishing it and making it fully operable. Thanks a ton!

Post May 29th, 2009, 6:18 pm

Points on hand: 2,333.00 Points
^well thats not entirely true... just because you have the program doesn't mean you know how to make your tracks realistic. Plus, wat about the things such as the layout or elements of a coaster, that adds to originality and adrenaline.
Not to mention wooden coasters are sometimes too smooth if not made right with tools.

I see where your coming from but well its just not entirely true.[:)]
(It would suck if that would happen though)

Post May 29th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Points on hand: 471.00 Points

Post May 29th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Wow, I have to say I will definitely use this version when it comes out.

Post May 29th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Points on hand: 1,746.00 Points
One thing: How can you make a station to station track, if when in the editor, to complete a track, you need to press "C" to connect the track to make one full circuit? Won't it just be messed up in the editor, or does Newton V2.0 have something specifically for this?

Post May 29th, 2009, 8:06 pm

By that I meant from the front of the station to the back of the station. I left that space to connect the element in NL...and that connection ended up being my station.

Post May 29th, 2009, 9:19 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points

Post May 29th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
As i'm sure most of you know, i'm mainly an FVD guy, but this seems to crush fvds with creativity. is it easy to use? and how easy? any tutorials? or people willing to teach me?

Post May 29th, 2009, 9:43 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Yes, but you should get confirmation from entropy.

Post May 29th, 2009, 10:04 pm

Points on hand: 1,746.00 Points
Oh, and for station/brake/lift segments, does it break up the segments into one long one, or does it show up like everything else?

Next

Return to No Limits Coaster