Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Choosing park to visit in southeast

Choosing park to visit in southeast

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post August 9th, 2009, 5:33 am

Points on hand: 761.00 Points
Hello. My mother are going up to North Carolina (we live in Orlando) to see her mother. She has agreed to visit a park somewhere along our path on the way back. Currently, I have narrowed the possibilities down to Six Flags Over Georgia, Carowinds, and Dollywood. I'm leaning towards Six Flags. Which one would be best for a single day in late summer? SFOG is the most inexpensive and has the most (and seemingly best) coasters, including Goliath, which my mother wants to ride. We have to go through Atlanta, so it's relatively on our path. It sounds perfect, right? My mother has been meaning to visit Pigeon Forge, so Dollywood might be opportune, but there are a number of problems. Namely, it is expensive ($54 a day), and they only have four coasters. However, one (Mystery Mine) is a Eurofighter, which I am interested in. Is the Eurofighter worth it? Carowinds is a bit out of the way, but it has Nighthawk, which I heard is a great ride. Is it better than Manta? I've also heard that Afterburn and Vortex are worth the trip. But overall, SFOG seems like the best option. Am I right?

Post August 9th, 2009, 7:57 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Dollywood is worth the money. From what I have seen of that place, you will love it.

Post August 9th, 2009, 8:22 am

Post August 9th, 2009, 10:24 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I just visited all 3 of these parks within 5 days of each other 2 weeks ago.

Dollywood is an amazing park and Thunderhead, Tennessee Tornado, and Blazing Fury are all insanely awesome. Mystery Mine was really disappointing though...it doesn't do anything until the very end (only 1800' long) and it can be a bit painful. As far as the actual park goes it is the best of the 3.

SFOG is also a very nice park, but its not Dollywood...nice for Six Flags I guess. Goliath is amazing (my #2 steel) and Mindbender is just outside my top 10. The rest of the rides are average (Scorcher, Cyclone, Superman, Batman, etc). Monster Mansion is also very cool and worth a ride or 2 or 3!

Carowinds is a nice park but the rides pretty much...suck. Other than Afterburn and Hurler (my only rerides) nothing there did anything for me. The flyers (not the coaster) are some of the best in the world (right up there with Knoebel's flyers). Nighthawk is absolutely terrible. Manta is the best flying coaster in the US (I know multiple people that are well traveled and confirm this) so you dont need to travel to ride another flying coaster.

The choice is hard...Dollywood is amazing in every way (all 4 coasters are solid), SFOG is also nice but has 10 coaster, with 2 being noteworthy, and Carowinds is just kinda a credit run as it stands (with the rest of the day being spent on Afterburn and the flyers (they are right next to each other).

Also, if you love food, Dollywood is the best...amazing bakery items and skillets!

Post August 9th, 2009, 10:39 am

Well, I suppose Dollywood is my best bet, so I'll be heading there soon. Thank you, both of you, for steering me in the right direction!

Post August 9th, 2009, 11:56 am

Points on hand: 108.00 Points

Post August 9th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
I was in your shoes not that long ago. Thank God we both live in Florida because we have access to many world class coasters and parks! Dollyood is by far your best bet for a great time. If you can't make it there, shoot for SFOG. Jake, Manta is indeed one of the best B&M flyers out there, only rivaled by Tatsu.

I'm glad I live in Florida just so I can get the Busch Gardens/ SeaWorld fun pass. Pay for a day, come back all year!
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post August 9th, 2009, 12:11 pm

You know, I'd never even heard of it before you mentioned it. I looked it up, and they say that have nine coasters. They really have four. :)

Looks interesting though, not sure of the 'lol' means that it's a good park or that it's so bad that it's funny.

Post August 9th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Do not do Wild Adventures. You will be majorly disappointed! The only rides worth even mentioning is Cheetah (major pain) and Hangman (clone). I've been there. Very lame park.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post August 9th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Yeah WA only exists for the credit whores of the world

Post August 12th, 2009, 11:32 am

Points on hand: 108.00 Points
Haha...Who you calling a whore? Well me...I guess.

All I can say is that Goliath and Mindbender at SFOG are amazing. However, I hear many great things about the Dollywood.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions