Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Kingda Ka

Kingda Ka

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post August 11th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Points on hand: 1,050.00 Points
when is the next time it will be open b/c the past few times i went it was closed besides when i went in April

Post August 11th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Points on hand: 1,052.00 Points

Post August 11th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
according to the site its not, but i dont know how often they update it.
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post August 16th, 2009, 3:31 am

Points on hand: 76.00 Points

Post August 23rd, 2009, 3:22 pm

Points on hand: 1,046.00 Points

Post August 23rd, 2009, 4:19 pm

Points on hand: 120.00 Points
It is open now.
Also reports stated that the launch has changed to one launch instead of the 3 tugs.

Post August 23rd, 2009, 7:02 pm

Points on hand: 761.00 Points
Originally posted by jdclga

It is open now.
Also reports stated that the launch has changed to one launch instead of the 3 tugs.

Just wondering, what do you mean by '3 tugs'?

Sorry, I'm new to the coaster world, still learning up on the lingo.

Post August 23rd, 2009, 7:08 pm

Points on hand: 571.00 Points
Originally posted by pali_gap

It is open now.

I second that! What are the 3 tugs?

Post August 23rd, 2009, 7:23 pm

Points on hand: 1,746.00 Points
Possibly the 3 cables used to pull the launch dolley? [:)]

Post August 23rd, 2009, 7:27 pm

Points on hand: 571.00 Points
I didn't know there were 3 cables. Do they all launch the train at the same time or are they spaced along the track?

Post August 23rd, 2009, 7:34 pm

Points on hand: 1,746.00 Points
They are all connected to the launch dolley. Two run out to it from the hydraulic motors, and those are what pull it to get the train up to speed. Then the 3rd one runs all the way to the block the train sits on, and runs around that big pulley that sits inside the track. Then that cable runs to the back of the dolley, so the hydraulic motors can pull it back to the launching position ;)

Post August 23rd, 2009, 7:43 pm

Points on hand: 117.00 Points
Originally posted by alias1236

I didn't know there were 3 cables. Do they all launch the train at the same time or are they spaced along the track?

Yepp. Theirs 2 cables that are hooked up to the front of the catch car. Those are hooked up to the hydraulic motors. The 3rd cable is on the opposite end of the catch car, its hooked up to a electric motor thats just simply used to pull the catch car to the start of the launch track.
They dont all launch at the same time. The first side of the station dispatches the first 2 trains, they get lined up on the launch track. Once their both in their proper block segments, the first train advances onto the advance wheel, and it drops down while the track opens the magnet and lets the launch dog hook onto the train. Thats where the roll back comes from, when the advance wheels are lowered, the train has nothing to keep it in place until its hooked onto the catch car. But anyways, the first car launches, and once it reaches the end of the launch, the catch car is closed and is slowed down behind the track. Then it waits a few seconds, just in case anything should happen, like a rollback. If it is going to roll back, the catch car stays at the end of the station, and the ride locks the brake fins. If not, it just waits a few more seconds so the accumulators can get started loading up the nitrogen/hydraulics. After that, the brakes on the catch car release and the electric motor pulls the catch car back to the end of the track, and the process repeats.
The Best Ball Of Optimism and Neglect You Will Find For Miles!

Post August 23rd, 2009, 8:03 pm

Originally posted by alias1236

Originally posted by pali_gap

It is open now.

I second that! What are the 3 tugs?

3 tugs as in the launch used to launch in 3 stages, instead of one full tug. Its kinda hard to explain haha

Post August 23rd, 2009, 8:15 pm

Points on hand: 1,492.00 Points
So then, what would this mean, that instead of 3 "tugs" it's only 1? Will this effect the ride at all?
Sometimes you gotta sacrifice a little bit of yourself to get the job done.

Post August 23rd, 2009, 9:54 pm

Originally posted by sapporo93

So then, what would this mean, that instead of 3 "tugs" it's only 1? Will this effect the ride at all?

Not at all, it is most likely better now!
It was like a 3 pulse launch, its launch[1st "tug"] get up to a certain speed then tug again-get to a certain speed-then finish the launch off with one final one. it all happens fast obviously. But now its just ONE forcefull launch.

Post September 27th, 2009, 8:18 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

Post September 27th, 2009, 10:47 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Its open I rode it yesterday. It sucks and it is crazy rough.

Post September 27th, 2009, 10:57 am

^it is, i sat 4th row, and ughh shaking the whole ride, i never wannt to know what the back is like.

Post September 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Front 2 rows haven't ever been bad at all in my experience...which is why of say 30 rides, 27 or so were in those rows lol. Back was cool because it seemed like you didn't have enough speed to get over the top, which I didn't expect after having ridden front so much, but it doesn't add all that much to the drop like you might think. That brake up there hurts the duration of airtime in the back.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions