Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion My ball collection.

My ball collection.

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post June 20th, 2009, 6:57 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

But I fully understand Golf and have played Golf. I wasn't exactly terrible at it either, not good, but I'm sure I could have been with practice, the game is hardly difficult to play.

As for football "Movements" being "natural movement"... no. To make a ball dip and bend in such a way as to keep power and accuracy from a volley position with ball moving through the air, connecting with it with your foot at the exact moment with the exact angle on your foot and direction of travel through your leg to give it the correct trajectory and rotations required for the dip and swerve on the ball, trust me, this is a harder to learn skill than playing golf.

Look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znl1vTmlYkM

Watch the replays towards the end, from behind Rooney and behind the goal. This is virtually impossible when you think of all of the variables involved.

Or the famous Carlos goal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t5MF7NRQh4

the ball itself moves in a completely un-natural way, let alone what you have to do with your legs and feet to achieve that.

I'm not saying that golf is any easier to learn to play to this level, but saying that the movements required in football are all natural movements is just wrong.

Post June 20th, 2009, 7:46 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Obviously Gouldy to do special things with the ball it takes practice to learn those things. I know how to bend the ball myself without any formal training.

However, you missed my point. By a long shot.

Kicking is a natural movement. Thus, any single person on this earth with 2 legs (either both real or even one prostetic) can kick a ball. I was alluding to the game popularity because of its simplicity. Thus, when a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds can kick a ball around a field, they can relate to the game at a very early age. So when they see pros on tv playing it, obviously their interest is peaked.

I wasnt talking about doing special things with the ball. Not even juggling, ball handling, passing, scoring or the other special moves. But the basic motion - kicking, is natural. At what angle your foot makes contact with the ball, speed, part of your foot, etc. thats all a learned skill.

However swinging a golf club is completely unnatural for the body from the start. Swinging a bat is far more natural yet since you stand up and swing horizontally. Sure, again, to be REALLY good it takes practice to fine tune. I never brought that up though.

Im purely talking about a kicking motion vs swinging a weighted stick vertically. Your body can produce the kicking motion from a very, very early age.

Btw, remember any of those scores you shot in golf? If you were over 100 for 18 or 50 for 9, youre rather terrible. I consider being "ok" shooting from 85-100 for 18. If youre "good" you shoot from 75-85 and if you consistantly shoot from par to 75 with a low handicap, youre "really good". Anything better than par is obviously Pro material. I know people whove been playing their entire lives and its a thrill for them to shoot under 90. Thats hackin your way around. Doesnt mean you arent having fun, just means you have virtually no consistancy in your swing since you are at least taking a bogey or worse on every hole.

But those same people also take gimmies, mulligans, move the ball a few inches for a better lie and such. If I made everyone I know stick to USGA rules, another 5-10 strokes would be added to their game. Then youd really see some suckage. lol.

EDIT - and I guess I would have expected you to say that, since youre obligated to defend Futbol, even though I already expressed I understand, watch, been to a pro game and attended maybe tons of high school games. I love Futbol. But was never talking about doing more than kicking. No shaping.

If I sat a ball down in front of someone at the PK spot and told em to kick it in (no goalie) I bet 9 out of 10 people could do it on their first try. With a goalie from a PK I bet maybe half get it by. If I asked those same people to hit a golf ball at least 150yrds (rather short) and also make sure it stays in the fairway, I would be at least half wiff on their first swing and maybe 1 of the other 5 who do make contact actually hits it straight. I have worked with many beginners so I have a pool of experience to pull from.

Post June 20th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
Minigolf ftw!
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post June 20th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Originally posted by Supercell

Originally posted by coasterpimp

I hate soccer, period.
I don't find it boring, but I find it just plain stupid.
Just my opinion.
State your reasoning.
Whoops, I meant to say I DID find it boring, It just is to me. I've tried playing it, and I just hate it. Period.

Post June 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm

Points on hand: 3,207.00 Points

Post June 24th, 2009, 9:28 am

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
I have three new golf ball brands: Pinnacle Lady 3, Titleist 1, and Taylor Made 0.

Post June 24th, 2009, 10:23 am

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points

Post June 24th, 2009, 2:20 pm
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points

Post June 24th, 2009, 3:36 pm

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points
^You're still alive! [:O][:O]
Just keep scrolling...

Post August 11th, 2009, 8:38 pm

I now have 4 old kids Tee balls from Odia's farm, A plastic white ball with big holes all over it and a very old twine ball from behind a truck/trailer at a camping ground.

Post August 11th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Points on hand: 2,588.00 Points
I'm Scottish (mostly) and I can say with some authority that we invented golf because we hate you. All of you.

I'll let Robbin Williams explain it (language warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_OmnP527Dw

Besides what else are you going to do when your country is essentially one giant lawn of peat moss, rocks and sheep? (I know what you're thinking, shame on you)
Be sure you're not looking in a mirror before you start pointing fingers.

Post August 12th, 2009, 12:49 am

Points on hand: 3,002.00 Points

In bowling i have a Brunswick twisted fury solid, A brunswick Smash Zone, An Ebonite striking motion, An old Track synergy E.T.S, And a columbia 300 americana plastic spare ball.

Post September 5th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Now I have found a Titleist ProV1x, a Top Flite XL3000 Super Feel and a Pinnacle Platinum 2 Feel. I also found a inner rubber lining ball of a tennis ball.

Post September 6th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points

Football(American) and Wrestling are the only true sports. Everything else is a game.
"If looks could kill I'd be a dead man."

Post September 6th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Game : a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

PRetty sure footballs a game. Rather, all sports are games to be played.

Sport: 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.

Ill let 1 slide and well include football. But if you go to #2, it says indoors. Whats up with all the indoor stadiums then?

Oh snap...lol

Dude, give it a rest. Ive heard your type before. Apparently it has to be "physical" to be a sport. Well, whats so physical about the punter or kicker? And the QB? You cant touch him without roughing the passer or whatever.

But anyways. Its funny when jocks go on and on about golf not being a sport. Yet, most all of your pro football players play it and most of them are not bashful to tell you how the game is as hard or harder than football. Just because you dont bash each other in the face doesnt make it not a sport.

Post September 6th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Are Titleist ProV1x, a Top Flite XL3000 Super Feel and a Pinnacle Platinum 2 Feel good value golf balls?

Post September 7th, 2009, 1:21 pm

Um, I wasnt attacking golf but while we're at it: I think golf is cool but I do not recognize it as a sport but rather, a competetive hobby. Along with bowling, billiards, fishing, hunting, etc.

And roughing the passer is like a late hit after the QB has thrown the ball. Other than that it's fair game.

Post September 7th, 2009, 6:57 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Coasterkat

Football(American) and Wrestling are the only true sports. Everything else is a game.

So, real Football is a game and "silly standing around doing f*ck all for 90-95% of the time while we look at females not wearing much dancing for us because the event happening behind them is so imensely dull that watching it melts my brain football" is actually a sport? [lol] you fail at judgement.

Post September 8th, 2009, 6:02 am

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

Originally posted by ianko66

Minigolf ftw!

I second this [^]

Post September 8th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Originally posted by gouldy

Originally posted by Coasterkat

So, real Football is a game and "silly standing around doing f*ck all for 90-95% of the time while we look at females not wearing much dancing for us because the event happening behind them is so imensely dull that watching it melts my brain football" is actually a sport? [lol] you fail at judgement.

You really think Football is boring? You fail at life.

Post September 9th, 2009, 5:13 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I fail at life because my mind needs more than bright colours and half naked females to feel stimulated? ok.

Post September 9th, 2009, 10:34 am

CoasterKat, you do sound like a teenage, high school junior whos just made the varsity football team and is gettin his awesome, american jock attitude on.

I feel really sorry for people with such close minded and incomplete views of SPORT (not sports). Sport is so much more than you can even imagine and youve reduced it to two sports. Both of which arent as physical as other sports.

I love football. But its for wimps now. Theres too many rules to protect people on the field youre supposed to hit. Whats the danger if theres no fear of having your bell rung? And you go for 10 seconds, rest for a minute. I wish I had that workout schedule. I have a favourite team and I do enjoy watching it (apart from the half time shows...so lame). I usually always watch the Super Bowl and whatever good matchups there are. I laughed my butt off when Brady lost his perfect season.

And wrestling? Its tough, dont get me wrong. But hows it more of a sport than say...hockey? Or soccer? Or rugby?

That kind of mentality is gonna get you ripped apart on the internet where you dont have your other fellow jock friends to back you up.

Its 100% ignorance to consider golf a "hobby" since theres an elite group of people making millions of dollars every year doing it. A hobby is something you do in your free time.

dictionary.com

hobby
1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

sport
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

And so were clear on what defines atheletic or athelete

Atheletic
3. of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina.

Come on man...your ignorance is...painful to read.

Post September 9th, 2009, 11:08 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^ pretty well said.

what you grew up on is always going to be the best, regardless of whatever anyone else tells you [;)]

Post September 9th, 2009, 11:27 am

No excuse though for not seeing the world through jaded eyes ;)

Post September 9th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Originally posted by gouldy

I fail at life because my mind needs more than bright colours and half naked females to feel stimulated? ok.

No you fail at life for saying that football is boring when you clearly do not know the first thing about it...

And Real, you really need to chill because Im not even being serious. I was just poking fun not trying to write a scientific thesis on sports.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion