Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster newton2: a first look at the next version

newton2: a first look at the next version

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post September 20th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Points on hand: 2,333.00 Points
Wow, this is fantastic! Great work entropy. Deffinately did not disappoint. Thanks a ton [pshades]

Post September 20th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
ya, its amazing... so many possibilities compared to newton one... Question... When i tried switching the type of transition from quintic type to like, quartic or bernstein, i noticed no difference... am i missing something?

Post September 20th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Points on hand: 2,615.00 Points

^ You need to actually have a change in force when you apply the transition. Otherwise, I don't know what might be causing that problem.

Post September 20th, 2009, 7:22 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

When I tried to run the .exe for .NET Framework 3.0 I got an error that said "this is not a valid win32 application. Help?

Post September 20th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Points on hand: 1,244.00 Points

Post September 20th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Now when I try to download .net framework it is downloading 0 bytes...why???

Post September 20th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Points on hand: 850.00 Points
Originally posted by entropy

Originally posted by Panther16

Will anyone be making a tutorial on how to use it? Or a Tips/Tricks guide?

Follow the link on one of my recent posts...or the link on the download page...or the link provided in the readme file. They'll all take you to the same place. [;)]

But i keep encounteruing a problem with the speed setting. Im trying to make a launched lift hill. So i make the stright section, and i input the speed setting, but when i select the automatic speed setting, and select add new section, it just deselects all of the sections that are there now, and dosent do anything else. I havent really read anything that explains this issues or anything like it, or any litiurature that explains how to use newton and its features.

Post September 20th, 2009, 8:26 pm

^You might try downloading the framework manually. On the .Net link provided before, scroll down and you'll see where you can download either the x86 or x64 redist package directly.

Post September 20th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Originally posted by Panther16
But i keep encounteruing a problem with the speed setting. Im trying to make a launched lift hill. So i make the stright section, and i input the speed setting, but when i select the automatic speed setting, and select add new section, it just deselects all of the sections that are there now, and dosent do anything else. I havent really read anything that explains this issues or anything like it, or any litiurature that explains how to use newton and its features.

I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. You shouldn't use the auto speed setting at all, from what I can tell. Create the launch with a straight section, specify the speed manually, add a new section, then switch the new section to a force based type and continue.

If you select the auto speed on the inclined launch section itself, it's likely the coaster will stall before getting to the end...that might explain what you're seeing. If I'm not picturing the issue correctly, then I'd suggest that you post a picture.

Post September 20th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
Teeheehee, Im giggling like a schoolgirl.
This is f*ucking amazing entropy. Its like, amazing.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post September 20th, 2009, 8:37 pm

Same problem^. I now tried downloading the exe. from my laptop and i just ran it on my desktop (this computer) and it wont connect to the server to download. I get this in the error:

EventType : wap10setup P1 : 13165 P2 : 3.0.04506.30_waprtm_x86_sfx
P3 : gen P4 : inst P5 : f P6 : dlmgr_bitserror P7 : -2147012867
P8 : 0 P9 : runtofinish()_failed to retrie P10 : -

Post September 20th, 2009, 8:43 pm

^Wait...you downloaded the actual redist (a 50 mb to 90 mb download, depending if you got the 32 bit or 64 bit version) and transferred that to your desktop? It shouldn't need to connect to the server at all. If you still get errors after that, I'm at a loss for an explanation.

Edit: Jakizle, you might also try reading this thread. There are several proposed solutions listed that might work.

Post September 20th, 2009, 9:31 pm

I downloaded the redist on my laptop and transfered them over and it seems to be working so far...like 1/2 installed. Thanks entropy.

Post September 20th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Points on hand: 1,440.00 Points
Wonder if Buster will be happy or mad that you pretty much just Obsoleted FVD's

Lol, but anyway, GREAT program, OLE should incorporate you into his design team, you coul make some kick ass plugins
Cedar Point FTW

Post September 20th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Points on hand: 2,285.00 Points
Was the feature where you mouseover the heartline and friction settings and values would pop up removed from this version of Newton. Because if not I can't figure out how to find the heartline values of different coater types within the program.

Post September 20th, 2009, 10:07 pm

^Use the AHG for heartline values you don't know.

Anyways I am now using Newton2. Thanks for all the help Entropy.

Post September 20th, 2009, 10:14 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
^^ check the conversion panel directly below the display window for the heartline values.

Post September 20th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
I am also dropping fvds and going to newton. I love you entropy. I plan to make a rediculous compact woody.

Also, can someone give me backround on the different transition types. Like I have no idea how to use those.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post September 20th, 2009, 10:50 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

I tried using them for what made them do what I wanted the track to do easier.

Post September 20th, 2009, 10:51 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Basically, anything that has the little red graph that goes from the lower corner will just accomplish your basic transitions. Like 0 banking to 10 banking.

Anything with the little hump like quartic will go from say 0 banking to 30 banking and then back to zero. These are useful for normal force on loops because you can go from a high force like 4 to 2 back to 4 by starting with a 4 force and then setting -2 on that transition.

Anything with the plateau will do the same, but hold the desired force for a period of time.

Post September 21st, 2009, 2:48 am

Points on hand: 1,075.00 Points
This software is AMAZING entropy, so much more user friendly than FVD's

Post September 21st, 2009, 3:46 am

Points on hand: 2,615.00 Points

I'm having a bit of trouble in trying to create a Eurofighter. I used the curved geometry section to create the crest of the lift hill but I can't seem to get a smooth transition when I go to multi-force/single-force zones for the actual drop part. It seems you can't specify the radius and so it's almost impossible to make a perfect continual curve. Any ideas?

Post September 21st, 2009, 2:51 pm

Originally posted by vampire

I'm having a bit of trouble in trying to create a Eurofighter. I used the curved geometry section to create the crest of the lift hill but I can't seem to get a smooth transition when I go to multi-force/single-force zones for the actual drop part. It seems you can't specify the radius and so it's almost impossible to make a perfect continual curve. Any ideas?

Can you post a picture with the geometry section in question highlighted?

Post September 21st, 2009, 2:53 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Originally posted by vampire

That's more or less the nature of the beast. You have to calculate a normal force to match the radius of the crest.

Post September 21st, 2009, 3:06 pm

Originally posted by Jimmy Yoshi
That's more or less the nature of the beast. You have to calculate a normal force to match the radius of the crest.

Very true. But newton should handle this for you, IIRC. The problem is that as you go over a hill of constant radius, the normal force is changing. newton will only match the normal at the endpoint, but not the actual force profile, and this can result in a noticeable seam.

However, a workaround is to switch between the geometry and force sections at an inflection point. That's why I would like to see a picture to understand what he is doing.

PreviousNext

Return to No Limits Coaster