Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster G-forces

G-forces

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post October 7th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Points on hand: 1,400.00 Points
I am currently recreating the Manta at Sea World orlando but i was wondering if anyone knew what kind of g-forces it should have in the pretzel loop? I already know heights but not forces. thanks.
Gimme a good coaster and nobody gets hurt.

Post October 7th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

Post October 7th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
Originally posted by Kevin Brennan

4.2 to 4.6.
WOAH, wait...it's that strong? No way, that's immense; so much for a family ride :P
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post October 7th, 2009, 4:56 pm

wow.... i had heard the max force on the whole ride was only 3.7.

Post October 7th, 2009, 5:02 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
How are you recreating it? Using the Vekoma flying track type?

Anyways, I doubt it crosses 4 G's. Most fliers tend to have fairly gentle G's.

Post October 7th, 2009, 5:17 pm

they do... especially since the force feels magnified by the flying position. No I am using the 4 seat inverted B&M track because I only have version 1.55 currently. I am trying to upgrade but I have to purchase some other unrelated things first. I am also trying to use newton 2 for some assistance to help smooth the track.

Post October 7th, 2009, 5:28 pm
Premium Member

I just tested it in the editor using a 20 mph entry speed with a tighter radius and the G's barely went over 3.

Post October 7th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Yeah that sounds about right. I just found a vid where seaworld claimed the force was around 3. Thanks

Post October 7th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
But remember guys...the G Forces while vertical in relation to train are horizontal in relation to YOU.

The G's become Acceleration G's and the body can tolerate a LOT of those if applied smoothly. Quickly and you can tear crap in your eyes and other places but since the time its held isnt very long I would think 4 is just about right. It becomes not so easy to keep breathing at the base.

Anyways, Ill be on Manta Saturday so Ill know more recently how intense I think it is.

Post October 7th, 2009, 10:54 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Wikipedia reports the max G force on the ride is 3.7.

Post October 7th, 2009, 10:58 pm

i know it does but i dont know where that max occurs

Post October 8th, 2009, 12:19 am
Premium Member

Originally posted by dah137

i know it does but i dont know where that max occurs

Exactly, it could occur on one of those turn arounds.

Unless you're recreating, I'm sure no one would give you crap if they stayed below 4.

Post October 8th, 2009, 1:18 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Wikipedia isnt reliable. Who quoted that as the source? Thats far more important.

Post October 8th, 2009, 5:03 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Surely on a B&M flyer, the Forces don't even approach 4? That's just my understanding, but if designing a Flyer, especially a B&M Flyer, I would only ever go up to 4 on a lay down part of the ride. The flying sections surely don't even get close to that?

Post October 8th, 2009, 7:39 am

If they were to approach 4 on a flying part, it would be very intense and probably uncomfortable.

Post October 8th, 2009, 8:02 am

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Originally posted by Real

Wikipedia isnt reliable. Who quoted that as the source? Thats far more important.

That's mainly why I mentioned it's from Wikipedia, but it was the only source that i found that would give me info.

Post October 8th, 2009, 11:01 am
Premium Member

While I understand why most don't trust wikipedia, it's not like 3.7 G's would be unrealistic. Maybe this will help:

Q: How does the lie-down dynamic change the safety tests performed? Does it affect the maximum allowable G-forces on the body? Also, what is the standard Safety Factor for a roller coaster like Manta? This one's a bit of a nerdy engineer question, but I'm curious.

A: Answered by Mike Denninger Dir of Corp Rides and Maintenance

While the prone ("flying") riding position of Manta puts riders in an orientation that differs from many other coasters, it does not alter the orientation of the axes by which biodynamic accelerations are measured.

Great second question! The "flying" riding position of Manta reveals that the accelerations traditionally experienced by a rider on a sit down coaster like Kraken, are experienced quite differently when "flying" on Manta. For example, at the bottom of Kraken's large initial loop (after the first drop) a vertical acceleration in the rider's "eyes-down" or "z" direction is experienced. This makes the rider "feel" like they are "heavy". Now comparing to Manta, at the bottom of the dive loop (after the initial drop), a similar vertical acceleration as on Kraken is experienced, but this time the rider is "flying" on their back at the bottom of the loop, and the acceleration is experienced in the "eyes-back" or "x" direction by the rider. So instead of "feeling" heavy, the rider experiences a unique feeling of being "pulled" into the back of their seat. You might relate this feeling to that of accelerating in your automobile on the highway, and being pushed into the back of your seat. As you can see, this rotational difference of the coordinate system results in the need to review biodynamic measurements differently for a "flying" coaster like Manta than for another coaster like Kraken.

With regard to maximum allowable G-forces, ASTM International has published a Standard that details the specifics of acceleration limits for all types of rides and we always adhere to all standards.

Bolliger and Mabillard Consulting Engineers Inc., the same team of engineers and designers that worked on Montu, SheiKra, Griffon, Apollo's Chariot and other world class coasters in our parks, performed the engineering, design, and fabrication work for Manta. While Manta is a uniquely SeaWorld attraction, it is first a very safely-designed attraction. In addition to the exceptional engineering, calculations, and design work required to fabricate and construct Manta, sufficient safety factors were applied in all respects to the many systems operating on this great ride.

- http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200905/1194/

Post October 8th, 2009, 11:38 am

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
Wow.

Nice find, can't get any better than that quite honestly![:D]
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post October 8th, 2009, 2:30 pm

nice find. they should hand out those ASTM International stats to everyone. It would really come in handy.

Return to No Limits Coaster