Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Ugh... Stupid, stupid Windows.

Ugh... Stupid, stupid Windows.

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post October 17th, 2009, 6:01 am

Points on hand: 1,764.00 Points
Thanks alot for corrupting my dsound.dll by crashing yourself...

Thanks alot for deleting that from my system...

Thanks alot for screwing up my entire system...

Thanks alot for making me toss several major system updates down the drain to fix your idiocy...

Thanks alot Windows... You truly are a godsend...

An entire day of updating and optimizing lost, all because of one stupid DLL file.

[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Post October 17th, 2009, 9:43 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
And you were in process of "fixing" what when this happened lol?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post October 17th, 2009, 11:54 am

Points on hand: 1,277.00 Points

Post October 17th, 2009, 1:50 pm

Points on hand: 850.00 Points

Post October 17th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Originally posted by Jms10391

What exactly were you doing when this happened?

Trying to perform a Windows related update released by Microsoft (Genuine Advantage Notification). Computer froze in the process, I hard rebooted. Windows ran ChkDsk, and bye-bye dsound.

Specifically, the updates were to my .net framework, Vid Card drivers, installing Games for Windows Live, updating my Antrivirus database, and some Windows autoupdates (like Genuine Advantage). All downloads were from Microsoft, nVidia, and Bethesda Softworks.

Well, I'm about to the point I was at when Windows committed suicide now, all that's left is to reinstall Fallout 3.

My version is WinXP SP2

Post October 17th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Originally posted by Thomas Kaira

Originally posted by Jms10391

What exactly were you doing when this happened?

Trying to perform a Windows related update released by Microsoft (Genuine Advantage Notification). Computer froze in the process, I hard rebooted. Windows ran ChkDsk, and bye-bye dsound.

Specifically, the updates were to my .net framework,

Vid Card drivers

, installing Games for Windows Live, updating my Antrivirus database, and some Windows autoupdates (like Genuine Advantage). All downloads were from Microsoft,

nVidia

, and Bethesda Softworks.

Well, I'm about to the point I was at when Windows committed suicide now, all that's left is to reinstall Fallout 3.

My version is WinXP SP2

Windows didn't do anything because dsound.dll is involved with Direct X which is involved with your video card. I've never heard of ChkDsk either.

Sorry I'm not trying to make you sound like an idiot or call you out on anything, I just find it hard to believe Windows would crash a computer like this.

Post October 17th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

ChkDsk runs when something bad happens with your harddrive....it could be a physical failure. Does your harddrive click at all?

Post October 17th, 2009, 11:46 pm

ChkDsk is a Hard Drive scanning program included with Windows. It normally runs if you were forced to perform a hard reboot on your computer (Windows locked up, a program locked up, etc.).

Windows locked up on me, I could not do anything except move the mouse pointer, so I hard rebooted, Windows ran a ChkDsk scan, and deleted dsound.dll from my system.

Modules that are removed from your system32 are VERY difficult to replace. Unfortunately enough for me, many programs I have installed require dsound.dll to function. That is how my entire system got screwed up.

As of writing now, I have regained all my progress I lost when I reverted back to a previous snapshot of my Hard Drive. Said snapshot has now been updated (My catastrophe failsafe, I keep a backup of my hard drive on a seperate, inactive drive).

Post October 18th, 2009, 12:09 am

It could be that a portion of your disk is corrupted (again physical failure) that caused those files to be lost. You should download Speedfan or something to see what kind of state the harddrive is in....and I'd be thinking about buying a new one. Be sure you have everything you need backed up....Harddrive failure sucks (just recently went through it and lost a ton of stuff).

Post October 18th, 2009, 12:30 am

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points

Post October 18th, 2009, 12:37 am

Lots of old versions of it, but I saved newer ones. That was one of the first things I backed up when when my drive started having issues.

I did however lose all my recreations.....Nothing anywhere near complete but I had ok drafts of Boulder Dash and Legend that I lost.

Post October 18th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Points on hand: 865.00 Points
If you have a really good gaming system you should probably upgrade to vista like I did or upgrade to 7 when it comes out. I was leery about vista at first but I runs just as fast or faster than xp does on my system. I'm runing both Crysis games Need for Speed Shift, Batman:Arkham Asylum, FallOut 3 and Far Cry 2 at 50+ FPS. No Crashes!!!

My System

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 Ghz
Ram:4 Gb
Video: GeForce GTX 260 OC Maxcore 55
PSU: 600 WATTS

Post October 18th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Originally posted by Thomas Kaira

ChkDsk is a Hard Drive scanning program included with Windows. It normally runs if you were forced to perform a hard reboot on your computer (Windows locked up, a program locked up, etc.).

Windows locked up on me, I could not do anything except move the mouse pointer, so I hard rebooted, Windows ran a ChkDsk scan, and deleted dsound.dll from my system.

Modules that are removed from your system32 are VERY difficult to replace. Unfortunately enough for me, many programs I have installed require dsound.dll to function. That is how my entire system got screwed up.

As of writing now, I have regained all my progress I lost when I reverted back to a previous snapshot of my Hard Drive. Said snapshot has now been updated (My catastrophe failsafe, I keep a backup of my hard drive on a seperate, inactive drive).

Well your dsound.dll was probably corrupted from the video drivers you installed.

Post October 18th, 2009, 6:11 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
System32 files are easily replacable, I've lost numerous ones, got them all back just by downloading the .dll of the internet and copying to System32 and then rebooting.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... tml?dsound
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post October 19th, 2009, 7:47 pm

Return to Off Topic Discussion