Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Video Game Reviews

Video Game Reviews

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post November 6th, 2009, 11:34 am

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
I'm not an extremely big video game fan, but there are a select few that i'm really in love with, and also a few that i'm extremely excited about getting in the near future. This topic is for anyone to list some games that you enjoy, and maybe write a review about the game and give it a 1 - 10 rating. Explain the details of the game(s), such as physics, graphics, storyline, characters, etc... anything you can think of.

A recent game that I'm really looking forward to purchasing in the near future is Tekken 6. I've always been a huge fan of fighting games, (my current favorite being soul caliber 4) but ever since i was maybe 9 (when tekken 3 came out), I've been following this series. I have yet to play tekken 6, but some of the rumors i have herd say that it is lacking in graphics. Most arguments i have herd state that they lacked in graphics in order to make the physics amazing. I'm also extremely excited to have 40 effin characters. no tekken game has ever had that big of a roster before.

Anyways ya, just state a game you frequently play, or want to buy in the near future, and tell us why you like it, and maybe give it a number rating.

Post November 6th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Nolimits = 9.2

Uhm its a roller coaster simulator split into 2 parts known as the editor and the simulator. The editor is the main part where you would spend most of your time building and designing all aspects of your ride. Many compatible features are available as the ability to use custom created 3ds objects and terrain editors plus straight forward environmental adjustments and sky box support.

The simulator is the fun on top of the engine and gives the player the ability to ride (in the seat preferred) or view his track from multiple camera angles and the ever so popular fully controllable flyby view. It also allows the player to be the ride op. OMG [lol]

Physics: Always been good as a matter of fact, And uses practically all the noticeable concepts there should be in a coaster game such as this.

graphics: Could be better especially the shadows and lighting. I would prefer a higher LOD distance as well but that's just me.

storyline: Yeah...

Characters: It has this sound of people talking that repeats forever whenever near the station.

That's about it. [:D]

Post November 6th, 2009, 12:21 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Killzone 2

This, currently and has been for the last 2 months, is the only game that I play at all. Since I got this game, I have played 3 matches on the new Pro Evo and that is all for other games that I have played through the last 2 months.

The reasons for this are basically as follows!:

The online play is just outstanding, I absolutely love playing it online and even when I have to be at work in 5 hours time and as yet haven't been to sleep, I still try and get another game in. Addiction, is probably what you'd call it. It probably has something to do with just how simply it is to play, you just run around and shoot people... simples!

When online, unlike other online multiplayers I've played, there is almost never any problem with things such as lagging and when there is any lag even noticable, the only side effect is that some people appear to be sliding along rather than walking. This happens hardly ever, even when the map is full (32 players) and you're not the host.

Basically, the game is simple and very very satisfying to play. And every time you look at the leaderboard and notice you've moved up another thousand or so places in the all-time-leader board, it's just a good feeling.

I usually get pretty frustrated at games (there was a big hole in the wall behind my PS2 from the frequency and the ferocity of the beatings it used to get! HAHA!), but this game never frustrates me, not even slightly.

I play for about an hour a night (usually after the missus falls asleep) and occasionally I have a ridiculously lazy saturday or sunday and just play from dawn till dusk, ha.

Best PS3 game, ever.

Post November 6th, 2009, 12:31 pm

Points on hand: 650.00 Points
Originally posted by dj-dj

Nolimits = 9.2

Uhm its a roller coaster simulator split into 2 parts known as the editor and the simulator. The editor is the main part where you would spend most of your time building and designing all aspects of your ride. Many compatible features are available as the ability to use custom created 3ds objects and terrain editors plus straight forward environmental adjustments and sky box support.

The simulator is the fun on top of the engine and gives the player the ability to ride (in the seat preferred) or view his track from multiple camera angles and the ever so popular fully controllable flyby view. It also allows the player to be the ride op. OMG [lol]

Physics: Always been good as a matter of fact, And uses practically all the noticeable concepts there should be in a coaster game such as this.

graphics: Could be better especially the shadows and lighting. I would prefer a higher LOD distance as well but that's just me.

storyline: Yeah...

Characters: It has this sound of people talking that repeats forever whenever near the station.

That's about it. [:D]

wow

you sir take the cake
So say we all.

Post November 6th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Points on hand: 664.00 Points
My favorite games of all time:
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario Galaxy
Ninja Gaiden Black
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
Burnout 3 Takedown
Myst 1-4
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Roller Coaster Tycoon 1&2 :)

Some of my recent Xbox favorites:
Ninja Gaiden 2 - 8/10 (Good: combat system; Bad: level design)
Prince of Persia (2008) - 8.5/10 (Good: story, graphics; Bad: repetitive and simple gameplay)
Shadow Complex - 9.5/10 (Good: upgrade system, graphics, level design, replayability; Bad: controls)
Trials HD - 9.5/10 (Good: controls, graphics, gameplay, replayability; Bad: Insanely difficult in later levels)
Burnout Paradise - 9/10 (Good: open-world gameplay, lots of collectibles, great sense of speed; Bad: difficult to figure out which races you have already completed)
Ghostbusters - 9/10 (Good: gameplay, graphics; Bad: repetitiveness)
Portal - 10/10 (Good: physics, level design, creative, funny)

Looking forward to:
Portal 2!
Splinter Cell Conviction
Alan Wake
Nolimits 2 :P

Games I would buy if I had a PS3:
Uncharted 1&2
Little Big Planet
Shadow of the Colossus
The Last Guardian
Heavy Rain

Post November 6th, 2009, 2:03 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post November 6th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Does anyone besides me care for the armored core series? i just love how customizable that game is. There are endless possibilities. I'm so good at that game i bet i would tear right threw any obsessed Asian.

That game, and maybe gran turismo 5 (if its ever released) would be the only reason i would by a ps3. Other then that, 360 all the way.

Post November 6th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
My favorite games are Assassin's Creed, EA Sports NHL 09, Oblivion, The Lord of the Rings the Battle for Middle Earth 2, Halo(PC), and Rome Total War.

Ones that I want to get soon: Assassin's Creed 2, Halo 2(PC if it ever comes out), and NHL10.

Post November 6th, 2009, 2:48 pm

^ LOTR BFME2 is such a great game. Probably my all time favorite rts.

Post November 6th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
I've played quite a bunch of games over time. Recently I've played Halo series (mostly 3 and ODST), Call of Duty 4, Left 4 Dead, Counterstrike, Gears of War/GoW2, Battlefield series, and several other commonly played shooters. I'm also playing through Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess (on Gamecube); I use to play mostly Nintendo but a lot of their stuff has been getting lower and lower in quality, not to mention the number of games worth mentioning on the Wii is fewer than the number of good SERIES on the XB360. Of course, I've spent quite some time on the RCT series as well. (particularly 1 & 2)

devilsrule, Halo 2 Vista has been out since May of 2008. It's pretty problematic though (more so than the first one) and it's no surprise that very few people play it. (the game engine is horribly unoptimized and studders like hell for one thing, and online quickmatch/server finding is pretty bad too)

Reviews... I don't really have the time so I'll stick to Halo 3.

Campaign 8/10: The conclusion is done a bit abruptly and doesn't maintain it's "epic" feel as often as it probably should. The mission variety is ok compared to other games, but the difficulty has been dumbed down very far. Anyone who has read the books or played Halo 2 knows how much of a bitch it is to fight the Brutes (main fighting force of Covenant at this point), yet even on Legendary difficulty, you can shoot them a bit and then beat them down without too much trouble. It's still fun to play through legendary, but feels a bit different this way.

Muitiplayer 7/10: It's the tried and true game of LAN parties made better. Forge gives more variety to the gameplay too. But online, the most important part (since you can't have a LAN party everyday) is still lacking. Matches can be slow to make, and if you don't spend your money and keep up with the new maps, the games available are extremely limited. Plus it's running on a peer to peer system instead of with dedicated servers, making lag issues pretty bad when they're present. Just see the many youtube videos of lagging matches causing all sorts of bizzare glitches, from someone getting shot in the head with a sniper rifle 3 times who still doesn't die, to warping around maps. Oh, and as you all know, you have to pay for live for that too. Way to go.

When it's working right, the muitiplayer brings out a lot to the table. It's clear that time was taken to adjust every object, wall, weapon, objective, and other such feature to bring interesting balances to each map. (actually I'd disagree on that for a few of them) The weapons, grenades, equipment, and melee were tied together in a different way that defies how things were done before and while the weapons are balanced very interestingly, grenades and melee are done very unconventionally, with melee having a farther lunge and doing huge damage and grenades being less capable (and the player being able to carry fewer of) than they "should" be in a realistic sense. Despite this, Halo has brought interesting additions to fps muitiplayer (from sheilds to dual wielding) from day one and continues to do so.

Graphics/Sounds 8.5/10: Not much to say here, it's pretty average for 360 and follows the Halo art style pretty well. Sounds, as usual, lack kick to them (compare the Spiker in game to one of the live action videos), though the enhancements made to the SMG and Cov. Carbine sounds are decent. Graphics are reasonable for a 360 game, but the lack of anti-aliasing (possibly due to the decision to use a newer shader engine) can make things look pretty bad on standard definition.

Post November 6th, 2009, 3:21 pm

Points on hand: 2,615.00 Points

I have quite unconventional game favourites.

At the moment my favourite would be Final Fantasy 6. The story is fantastic. The gameplay is good(while I generally hate turn based random battles; the way they're handled in this game makes them acceptable. Otherwise, the gameplay is flawless) and the characters are some of the best I've ever seen in a game. And the music... :)

My other top games are:
Marathon 1/2/3 (The best game(s) I've EVER played)
Myst 1/2/3
Myth 1/2
No Limits(for obvious reasons)
N/N+ :D

There's loads more games that I like but I'm too tired to think at the moment.

Post November 6th, 2009, 4:57 pm
yoshifreak Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 241.00 Points
Originally posted by nannerdw
Super Mario RPG

That's probably my favorite game ever on a nintendo system. That game was so much fun. Great story, solid gameplay, lacked some replay value, but overall definitely a recommended game.

Besides Nintendo though, my favorite games right now are:
Fifa 10
COD4(soon to be Modern Warfare 2)
Left 4 Dead

Other great games:
Bioshock
Dead Space

360 GT: Acefish 91

Post November 6th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

My favourite games are currently Team Fortress 2 and Portal.
I'll try to write a review sometime...

Post November 6th, 2009, 5:15 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by tmv8888

That game, and maybe gran turismo 5 (if its ever released) would be the only reason i would by a ps3. Other then that, 360 all the way.

No way. As one of the many multi-platform owners, I feel that I am pretty able to make a judgement on all of the consoles against one another.

First of all, let's just completely disregard the Wii because that is just for messing about on at parties (hence why mine now sits un-used). Although in terms of sales and to the range of audience it appeals to, the Wii wins hands down [lol]

The battle , if there is one, is between the 360 and PS3.

The most important thing about a console is the games that you play on it, so let's start with that. This could be a difficult thing to split them between because most of the games are multi-platform, but, in actual fact it is easy to split them. All multi-platform games tend to be developed on/for the 360, then ported to the PS3. This is the obvious way to do things as the 360's capabilities are much less than that of the PS3. As such all of the titles developed soley for the PS3 blow all other games out of the water, even those immense PC games. Games like Motorstorm for example which are just truly incredible, in terms of physics, graphics, gameplay... everything that's important in a game.

Online play is probably the second most important thing. XBox Live is incdredibly good, it's structure and everything. Gamerscore as well is sweet, later copied by Sony with the trophies. All of this is good, BUT, PSN is free.... so, I really can't say anything other than the fact that it is completely free to use, although it's slightly more clumsy than XBox Live.

Another big point for me is something that find very important, but others may not. The Blu-Ray player in the PS3. I like films and watching them on a Blu-Ray on a HD 40" Plasma is quite a big draw of the PS3 for me. I'm one of the idiots that got a HD Disc Drive for my 360, how great did that turn out to be! [lol]

There is many other little things, like the controllers for example. The 360 controllers are good, better physically in fact than the PS3 controllers. But, why oh why oh why did Microsoft make the same Mistake as Nintendo? Why do their controllers have to have batteries? Or you have to buy an add on thing to attach to them. It seems such an obvious thing.

Anyway, this post is quite long now [lol] so my point is. PS3 FTW.

Post November 6th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
Originally posted by Vid_w

My favourite games are currently Team Fortress 2 and Portal.
I'll try to write a review sometime...

Bitch, you better start playing half-life.

I will review Half-Life 2. Ep 1 & 2 sometime later tonight.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post November 6th, 2009, 6:28 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by yoshifreak

Fifa 10

Nah, Pro Evo FTW.

Post November 6th, 2009, 6:57 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
I'm not a big gamer, but Fallout 3 is pretty cool. It has been taking up a lot of my time lately.

Post November 6th, 2009, 7:26 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

i have playstation 1 with final fantasy 1-9 (except 3) they kick ass.

Post November 6th, 2009, 7:47 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post November 6th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Originally posted by vampire

I have quite unconventional game favourites.

At the moment my favourite would be Final Fantasy 6. The story is fantastic. The gameplay is good(while I generally hate turn based random battles; the way they're handled in this game makes them acceptable. Otherwise, the gameplay is flawless) and the characters are some of the best I've ever seen in a game. And the music... :)

My other top games are:
Marathon 1/2/3 (The best game(s) I've EVER played)
Myst 1/2/3
Myth 1/2
No Limits(for obvious reasons)
N/N+ :D

There's loads more games that I like but I'm too tired to think at the moment.

Myth! I love that game. I completely forgot about it. My favorite characters are the dwarfs. "Move here move there" I haven't played in so long. That was the most classic game ever... until they came out with Myth 3...

Post November 6th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
Oh boy, have I been waiting for a post like this:

My favs:

COD4
Oblivion (just...awesome)
Fallout 3 (just...awesomer)
Midnight Club LA
Skate 2
DiRT
Bioshock
Prey
&
Mass Effect

COD4 - 9.25/10: I give this score to this game because of the great online play, especially with hardcore mode. The career is just amazing as well, and got me very tied up in it. The graphics, gen-breaking, the AI, quite smart, and the knife-in-face-stabbing - never gets old. MW2 will be a great continum of the series.

Oblivion - 8.5/10: This is a wonderful game - TONS of exploration, hours of gameplay, and beautiful graphics. I will admit that the dungeons and caves are almost identical in layout and scenery which takes away from the experience of discovering NEW places...every place looks almost the same. The castle design and the planes of Oblivon MORE than make up for it though, which is why this earns an 8.5/10 in my books.

Fallout 3 - 9.75/10: Where do I get started, great physics, great combat, VATS is the poop, the enemies are quite smart and viscious always giving you a challenge, and they're adjustable in skill from the options. Exploration...you know; the experience of living in a wasteland is perfectly presented, and it really is just an immersive experience. GOTY edition is worth the buy as well, with all 5 DLC's for the same price at the base game...you can't go wrong. I've got so much more to talk about in this game...but you've gotta get it to find out!

If only they added one vehicle it would have gotten a 10/10 from me...

MC:LA - 8.8/10 (for racing guys, not Oblivion exploration): This game is awesome as well, it allows quite alot of customization, amazingly detailed, customizable interiors. Wonderfully textured cars and a great representaion of LA, you'll spend tens of hours finding every little niche and shortcut in the city. You can also jump IMMEDIATELY into a LIVE cruise or match which is an AWESOME perk to this game! The physics, and character interactions and attitude could use a little work though. There are only so many times someone can bump you - blaming you for the paint-trading - until you snap...

Skate 2: 9/10 - A great skateboarding game, and the best you could get for the 360 at the time. You can now get off your board, move objects (clumsily might I add...but who cares?) so you can make your own spots; and of course, the amazing realistic tricks and fun of the best skateboarding games...and lets not forget the return of the Hall of Meat. The Hall of Meat is a bail meter that measures what gets sprained, bruised, broken, and dislocated when you bail (which you can control, you can bail at any time...without consequence), and the physics are gut-wrenchingly real when you bail...eww...

This as a whole makes this a 9 to me. Oh, and LIVE matches are great too!

DiRT - 9/10: Next-gen rally-racing at its finest, the best wrecks, quite realistic physics, and a solid racing feel make this another favorite of mine!

Bioshock - 8.5/10: WHAT? An 8.5? Yes, an 8.5, why? Because while the guns, plasmids, exploration and hours of gameplay are fun...when you go through the game again...well, you know EVERYTHING that will happen. This makes it predicatble horror-fare with lackluster scares...but the first time you go through it...10/10, just a great story and game, award-winning, and I hope the movie goes through, it deserves one.

Prey - 8.75/10: Another great game from 2K (Bioshock creators) which was made before Bioshock and was in the making for years, just like Bioshock. Anyways, another great storyline which grips you. The gun-physics are amazing, the uniqueness is great too, with awesome monsters, portals, alien machinery, and amazing cinematics, this is a hidden gem by 2K that CANNOT be missed!

Mass Effect - 9.75/10: A beautiful story, beautiful battle physics, wonderful characters, detailed facial and character customization; this game was WAY ahead of its time. While it is solely 3rd person, it is close-up and comfortable, unlike the far-off Prototype 3rd person. Anyways, this game...is movie-deserving, it makes you think, makes you cry, makes you laugh, and amazes you...it is a masterpiece - and it is waiting for you in a local Gamestop...in troves! GET IT :P!

PS2, one and only-

Final Fantasy X and X-2 - 10/10 and 9/10 respectively: They do not need an explanation lol!

XBOX LIVE GT: Burner156
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post November 6th, 2009, 9:35 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

^ [lol] yeah, I think you know my love for FF7

yup.. ff9 is my favorite ..

Post November 6th, 2009, 9:39 pm

To Tidus, ^ i dissagree as far as Dirt goes. I don't think its accurate at all with driving physics. No rally car can take a hairpin corner at 70mph with no over-steer/under-steer and not fly off the mountain. Dirt is an amazingly fun and addicting game, but its far from realistic as far as driving games go.

Post November 6th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Points on hand: 865.00 Points
Right now I'm loving Batman:Arkham Asylum, the gameplay is very simple but the graphics and storyline are amazing. I also really like Far Cry 2, both Crysis games, Madden 10, NBA Live 10, Need for Speed: Shift, Unreal Tournament 3 and Fallout 3! I think there is no better online game than Burnout Paradise!

Post November 6th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Points on hand: 664.00 Points

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion