Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Voyage Timberliners

Voyage Timberliners

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post November 15th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

I think the trains look ok, my concern with this type of design is that .... well, those of us that are not 180 lbs usually have an issue sitting comfortably in "molded seats". Otherwise, they do not look bad to me.
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post November 15th, 2009, 4:57 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

Post November 15th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Originally posted by TConwell

I think the trains look ok, my concern with this type of design is that .... well, those of us that are not 180 lbs usually have an issue sitting comfortably in "molded seats". Otherwise, they do not look bad to me.

I guess I won't have an issue. I am exactly 180 lbs. [lol]

Post November 15th, 2009, 11:15 pm

Points on hand: 1,275.00 Points
These trains are the Edsels of rollercoaster trains.

Post November 15th, 2009, 11:19 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

^ ha ! yes ! in theory they are wonderful and what the public wants ..
in reality they are retarded looking and just might turn out to be a mechanical nightmare ..

Post November 16th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by Mikey

^ I'm sure they will have a big boy seat.

[lol]! Well then, Oscar and I should be good!
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post November 16th, 2009, 10:24 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Nah he's way more fat than you are.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 16th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Points on hand: 962.00 Points

Post November 16th, 2009, 11:35 pm

Points on hand: 962.00 Points
Originally posted by jayman

^ ha ! yes ! in theory they are wonderful and what the public wants ..
in reality they are retarded looking and just might turn out to be a mechanical nightmare ..

The guys at gravity group are quite competent engineers. I'm sure these trains will greatly reduce maintenance, not increase it.

Post November 17th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points
^All engineers are "competent", but companies make mistakes.
Just keep scrolling...

Post November 17th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
What gives you all any indication that they made an engineering mistake? GG hasn't made any huge mistakes that I know of, and this design is similar to the Millennium Flyer design.

Post November 17th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
These are looking alot better than the originall animations showed.

Post November 17th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points
^^I never said they made any mistakes. I was simply saying that IF this is a bad idea and turns out to be a failure, it's no different than other companies' mistakes. Good companies can make little mistakes. [;)]

Not sure how you got that out of my post but o'well. heh
Just keep scrolling...

Post November 17th, 2009, 6:43 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

I'm guessing the seat suspension is so that the park doesn't have to do as much maitenance?

Nothing like a quickfix to a bigger problem

Post November 28th, 2009, 10:07 pm

Points on hand: 1,505.00 Points
Originally posted by Kyle Sloane

These are looking alot better than the originall animations showed.

i agree, but i think the wrong coaster was chosen as a test run. it would make more sense to try them out on a low key coaster.

Post November 28th, 2009, 10:09 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
^ agreed, although i am sure they made a short prototype track before just throwing them on the Voyage
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post November 28th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Points on hand: 1,505.00 Points
i really hope they save the old trains so if it doesnt work it will be fixable

what coaster would you put this on? i would have to say Thunderhawk at Dorney Park. it would probably make it more exciting

Post November 28th, 2009, 11:35 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

I guess this season we will see how these new trains hold up after a million cycles.

Post November 30th, 2009, 12:39 pm
AyTrane Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,132.00 Points
Originally posted by slosprint

^ agreed, although i am sure they made a short prototype track before just throwing them on the Voyage

They tested them on Raven last year, didn't they?

If they don't work out for Voyage, which I don't know why they wouldn't, there are several other coasters in the park that could handle them. If Voyage ends up a great success, I suspect that Hades might see a similar treatment.

Post November 30th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

I don't suspect Hades will see any treatment. Mt. Olympus isn't exactly top notch in maintenance/upgrading their rides. When I was there several seats and lapbars were missing from Cyclops (middle of August). There were also a few lapbars that had clearly snapped and were just rewelded. I just really can't see them springing for new trains...they don't take care of what they have now.

Post November 30th, 2009, 6:07 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Depending on how they turn out on the Voyage, I might want to see these on Hades. The line moves really slow with only one train, but these would make loading faster.
American Eagle Lover

Post November 30th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

The line moves slow because they have awful staff who go extremely slow. If they put some effort into it it wouldn't be as bad.

Post December 24th, 2009, 2:49 am

Points on hand: 1,105.00 Points
Im probably reviving this topic or im sure people don't wanna hear anything more about this, but I gotta say I am super pleased with these new cars.

As a tall person (I consider 6'5 tall) these gotta be great:
1. Legroom. These look like they give a lot of legroom. I'm sure you all know, or a few of you know, that woodies are a pain in the ass for people like me. (Well a lot of roller coasters are a pain in the neck but a majority of the worst are woodies.)
2. Back comfort. I like the back rest given in these new designs. I could not tell you how many times i get lower back pains from old woodies. The back rests in old designs are way to love short. Doesn't do a thing but put a cramp down there.
3. Look. I actually enjoy the bulbous look to these cars. I'm more partial to rounded designs than straight blocky old cars. (Don't get me wrong, classic woodies are great, but In my eyes things need a new look. Plus on an unrelated note, there are no straight lines in nature.)

Now as to the reduction of rickity-ness, some woodies out there could really use suspension. Maybe if it was possible to alter the "smoothness" these cars give you would be a cool design decision so certain parks can modify how they want their rides to feel like.

As to the steering I can only imagine that it creates less wear on the tires which people have already brought up. That is genius in my opinion.

(And as to those beige bars in the beginning, I can only imagine those being used for workers pulling the cars along the track if it gets stuck. Seems pointless.)

So thats my 2 cents on the subject. If you've spent the time reading through that thanks.

Post December 24th, 2009, 3:37 am
A7 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 153.00 Points
I am only five feet tall and even I agree with your first two major points Joker_Of_Hearts, just not the third. I think the things of the past should not be changed. If I ride a coaster now and want to take my kid on it ~15 years from now (I have no idea how long it could be I'm only 17) I would like him/her to have as close to the same experience as I had. However, for new coasters that are just coming out these new trains could be a great match for them for years to come. Lets face it, no park is going to get an 'old' or 'classic' style woodie anymore (How they have been all up to these last couple of years). Its just not going to happen. Wooden coasters ARE evolving, and for that reason the 'old' and 'classic' coasters should not be changed in any way or what they were will be forgotten.

^ Most of that is a personal opinion, but what I've said can be argued with if necessary.

Post December 24th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I'm big (6'0 250 lbs)so I will let all the big boys know how these ride when I go in August :P

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!