Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster newton2 tutorial series

newton2 tutorial series

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post December 9th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Points on hand: 1,244.00 Points
When I first released newton2, I created a series of tutorials that explained some of the basics of designing specific elements. Since then, I've been adding to the series at the rate of about one tutorial a month, and I'll probably continue that trend as long as there is sufficient demand for more.

I think I linked to these somewhere in the long newton thread, but it's probably best to separate them out so they're easier to find. I'll try and update this list as I add more.

IMHO, the first (creating lifts, brakes) and sixth (saving an element) are the most important, since it covers quite a bit of new functionality even if you are familiar with force-based design.

tutorial 1: stations, lift hills, and brake runs

tutorial 2: loops

tutorial 3: zero-g rolls

tutorial 4: Immelmann and dive loops

tutorial 5: cobra rolls

tutorial 6: saving an element

tutorial 7: camel backs and Stengel Dives

tutorial 8: flat turns

tutorial 9: corkscrews

Now, these are meant to be patterns for integrating similar elements into your layouts, so be aware you'll have to adapt them to meet your needs. Hopefully, they'll be enough to teach you the principles involved, and that by watching them you'll develop a better intuition in creating new elements.

What comes next is up to you (...and me, too [8D]).
Last edited by entropy on February 1st, 2010, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post December 9th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
Thank you Entropy. I haven't dabbled yet with N2. My PC crashed when I first installed it, had to do system restore. Plus I need the turtorials, so thanks again.

Onjin

Post December 9th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Will you try to figure out those Norwegian loop like I asked on Youtube because it is still killing me.

devilsrule911

P.S. Nice job with Newton 2 and its tutorials.

Post December 9th, 2009, 10:54 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
could you please do a corkscrew tutorial??? it would be sooooo helpful
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post December 9th, 2009, 11:39 pm

^Chances are that my next tutorial will be corkscrews, since so many have requested it. I'll try look into Norwegian loops at some point as well.

Post December 10th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

Post December 11th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
Just to add to the corkscrew request, a double corkscrew would also be extremely helpful.

Post December 11th, 2009, 12:36 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by tmv8888

Just to add to the corkscrew request, a double corkscrew would also be extremely helpful.

I so hope you are being sarcastic.

Post December 11th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Originally posted by tmv8888

really?????just put the two together....
Head Moderator
Chatroom Admin

Post December 11th, 2009, 7:54 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
^Not really. Trying to create the transition from the first and second one is difficult and the speed is much different when entering the second one. Also realize that you are dealing with a pitch that may not be 0 degrees. Yes, your way would seem simple but not if we are dealing with a different pitch.

Post December 11th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Points on hand: 1,385.00 Points
A double corkscrew is actually pretty difficult. Because of the way transitions work, just putting two corkscrews together won't roll continuously. The change in banking will slow down and stop between the two corkscrews.

Post December 11th, 2009, 9:05 pm

^And that's exactly why I've so far avoided corkscrews...the design is very dependent on the initial conditions, much more so than other elements, IMO. Things like loops have pretty standard approaches. Corks on the other hand....

Post December 11th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
The only corks in the world that I know of with continuous rotation are geometry based and not force based.

Post December 11th, 2009, 10:17 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
^ yeah, you see most of those in the older, neck breaking rides which usually are named something generic like "corkscrew"
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 11th, 2009, 10:36 pm

^hahahahahahahaha....[lol]
Head Moderator
Chatroom Admin

Post December 12th, 2009, 12:31 am

Points on hand: 77.00 Points

Post December 12th, 2009, 10:31 am

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
^ and thats exactly why i think it would be helpful to be able to build continuous rolling double corks. So i could finally create an accurate arrow.

Post December 12th, 2009, 11:16 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^ i'm not arguing that it wouldn't be helpful, i am just wondering if newton is the right program to use if you want to achieve continuous rolling, and not force-based sections

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 12th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points
I second the tophat suggestion.

Also, whenever I go from a straight section/curved geomety to single-zone/multi-zone, the segments are short and the G forces are all wrong. In other words, I have a straight piece at -2 degrees and I want to curve down. If I set it even as low as -0.7 vertical, it sharply declines and has an awkward shape. Any suggestion/solution?
Just keep scrolling...

Post December 12th, 2009, 1:25 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points

Post December 12th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points

Post December 12th, 2009, 2:29 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

if the speeds are low enough it might cause this. if not try fiddling around with the different transition types

Post December 12th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
If you would want to make continious corks, can't you just do that with HSAK? Curved Geometry isn't as powerful enough as HSAK but HSAK definitely gets the job done. And also..

Am I the only one here who has pulled off a tophat?

I experimented recently..

While it may not be perfect, I actually did get the rough idea of it . [dorkhat]

And something that I've been wanting to figure out how to make, is a heartline roll that is force based, not geometry based, or a bit more complicated, Storm Runner's Roll+Flying Snake Dive. That's what I'd like to know how to make :D

Post December 12th, 2009, 2:53 pm

no, i pulled off a tophat with exemplary results
http://coastercrazy.com/track_exchange/ ... ?tid=16376
its just an issue of using the curved geometry sections instead of a force based section
Head Moderator
Chatroom Admin

Post December 12th, 2009, 5:30 pm

and thats exactly why i think it would be helpful to be able to build continuous rolling double corks. So i could finally create an accurate arrow.

Yeah, I don't think at this point newton is the tool you'll want to use for Arrow-type corkscrews. In fact, I doubt you'll want to use it for Arrow coasters, period.

Also, whenever I go from a straight section/curved geomety to single-zone/multi-zone, the segments are short and the G forces are all wrong. In other words, I have a straight piece at -2 degrees and I want to curve down. If I set it even as low as -0.7 vertical, it sharply declines and has an awkward shape. Any suggestion/solution?

I, too, think it's an issue with the speed. I would suggest you either post a picture about it in the other thread where we were discussing the cosine/lift hill issues you were having, or contact me directly (preferably by including the newt file) and we can proceed from there.

And to A113 and Meta (and anyone else), why not include a tutorial or description about how you created your elements? Let's share tips and ideas that others might find useful.

Next

Return to No Limits Coaster