Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Son Of Beast-To be removed.

Son Of Beast-To be removed.

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post October 29th, 2009, 1:12 am

Points on hand: 5,850.00 Points

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_Bea ... er_coaster)

On June 16, 2009, a woman claimed that she suffered a head injury from riding the Son of Beast. Her visit to the park was on May 31, 2009, but the first Kings Island officials did not hear of the incident until June 16. She said that she suffered from a burst blood vessel in her brain and was put in intensive care. "The first we heard of this was on June 16. Her visit was on May 31 and there's no record of going to first aid for anything here at the park," said Don Helbig, public relations manager for Kings Island. Helbig also said that there have been no other reports of injury on the ride this year. The Son of Beast was shut down as a precaution during the investigation. "At this point it would be inappropriate to speculate on an exact date when the ride may reopen. We're going to do a thorough maintenance review. We're going to work with the state of Ohio on that," said Helbig.[9]
The ride was investigated, and was found that there were no "irregularities" with the ride. However, the ride remains closed for the rest of the 2009 season[10] because park officials have ??????not decided what steps they plan to take concerning the ride,?????? according to an investigation summary released Wednesday July 29th.[11]
Update
Oct 28,2009. Official announcement of the removal of Son of Beast will be made in the next week; per an inside Kings Island representative. "After months of cost effectiveness research and an intensive modification strategy, Cedar Fair has decided to pull the plug on Son of Beast". No further information pertaining to the time frame of removal of the coaster was mentioned.

-im not sure if this is completely credible, being Wikipedia. but im surprised they are tearing it down. I wonder what they are going to do with all of the extra land??

Was this ride even good?
Dont buy starbucks coffee

its poison

Post October 29th, 2009, 1:27 am

Points on hand: 850.00 Points
This ride was AMAZING when it was first build. The anticipation of the first and 2nd drop were simply phenomenal. The loop wasnt all it was cracked up to be, but it was still worthwhile. I rode it 2 months after it opend, when it was still healthy, but now its lived past its time...and then some. You can clearly see, just watch a POV from the early years and a POV from now...the difference is outstanding.

Post October 29th, 2009, 3:36 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points

Post October 29th, 2009, 3:38 am

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

The roughness was the only thing that kept it interesting.....otherwise it was very boring IMO. One of the worst wood coasters I've been on.

Post October 29th, 2009, 11:33 am

Originally posted by hyyyper

it's wikipedia, draw your own conclusion [:)]

yeah i know. im not sure if it was credible or not. i guess its still a flying rumor.

the sad thing is, is that they replaced trains, and its only 9 years old. most woodies last a bit longer than that.

its poison

Post October 29th, 2009, 12:10 pm

Points on hand: 962.00 Points
it's already been changed. you know stephen colbert has done a great deal to help elephants in the past 3 years. gotta love wikipedia. any credible announcement will come directly from the park, which most of us don't expect till next year.

Post October 29th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Points on hand: 1,051.00 Points
When I went 2 weeks ago, the entire queue line for SOB was non-existent. And Flight Deck took it over. So I wouldn't be surprised if they do take it down. Thank god I got to ride it in May this year. Alot of people hate it, but I love it. It was actually my favorite coaster at Kings Island after Vortex.

Post October 29th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Post October 29th, 2009, 4:43 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Honestly, I couldn't care less. It may have been a nice concept, but it was rough and completely tame since day 1. SoB and Mean Streak are in a close contest for my least favorite wood coaster ever, and I think both of them at this point are just taking up valuable real-estate that could probably easily fit 2 really great GG or GCI woodies.

Post October 29th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
^ Agreed. I couldn't give a damn if this ride goes bye bye. The loop was the only thing that kept it interesting, and with that gone, its just another, really rough wooden coaster. It also takes up HUGE amounts of space. With this gone, they could potentially invest in one, maybe 2 coasters. Or a new kiddy park for that matter. With this gone, it would be a great place to add a new pre-fab. Just a thought...
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post October 29th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Points on hand: 962.00 Points
the park doesn't have am issue with space. it's not like taking down the coaster will mean a new wood coaster or anything at all there.

Post October 30th, 2009, 12:34 am

haha. yeaj from what i heard SOB sucks.

its poison

Post October 30th, 2009, 7:24 am

Points on hand: 1,440.00 Points
Originally posted by SixFlagsFiesta

Woot,

Coming to a grocery store near you;

Son of Beast Matches
Texas Giant Matches

Comes in packs of 100, Hurry while supplies last!

Which will last till 2011!
Cedar Point FTW

Post December 1st, 2009, 9:55 pm

Points on hand: 1,032.00 Points
I LOVE that ride. I think its speed is amazing. I pray it doesn't get torn down. Granted its really rough after they took out the flip but still fun!!! :)

Post December 1st, 2009, 10:33 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I hope they replace it with an SLC
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post December 1st, 2009, 11:45 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
I just found this article:

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2000/1 ... _sues.html

I thought this quote was funny:

"Roller Coaster Co. builds coasters all over the world and has a good reputation in the amusement industry."
American Eagle Lover

Post December 2nd, 2009, 1:26 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

Post December 2nd, 2009, 2:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Just a bit? LOLZ

Anyway...I'd like to see it stay...rough yes...but I enjoyed my rides.

Post January 26th, 2010, 12:50 am
nutznboltz User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
All the folks I have talked to that have ridden the coaster say its one of the worst rides ever, hands down. I personally have never ridden it so I can't really draw my own conclusions. however, after hearing the countless SOB bashing's here and on other forums, I honestly don't have a desire to ride it if it does stay...

Return to General Theme Park Discussions