Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Holiday world owner Will Koch has passed away

Holiday world owner Will Koch has passed away

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
The owner of southern Indiana theme park Holiday World and Splashin'' Safari Will Koch died overnight.

According to a press release issued by the theme park overnight, Koch died at home of what the family believes to be complications from diabetes.

He was 48.

Park spokesperson Paula Werne says, "Will was not only our leader, he was our dear friend. Our park family is in mourning for this sweet man who worked tirelessly to bring fun and happiness to so many families in the 20 years he ran the park."

Werne also says that Holiday World & Splashin' Safari will be open today, and that the park will continue to be owned and operated by the Koch family.

During Koch's tenure as Chief Executive Officer of Koch Development Corporation, the parent company of Holiday World & Splashin' Safari, the park saw dramatic growth.

Starting with the addition of Splashin' Safari in 1993 and continuing with the construction of the Wildebeest this year, the park earned international awards and saw attendance figures topping one million per year.

Koch is survived by his wife, Lori, and three children Lauren, Leah, and William.

He is also survived by his mother, Pat, and siblings Dan, Kristi, Philip and Natalie.

source: http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=12643268

:-(

Post June 14th, 2010, 9:34 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points

Post June 14th, 2010, 10:09 am

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

Wow, I wasn't expecting that any time soon. I didn't know he had diabetes but 48 is still so young. He's done a great job with the park over the years though, definitely a great all around place to visit.

Post June 14th, 2010, 11:06 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
I just hope the next owner was as nice to the parks as he was. What a sad story.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post June 14th, 2010, 12:37 pm

I really can't believe this happened. I was looking forward to meeting him at Holiwood nights next year. I couldn't believe it when I found out.

Post June 14th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
This is really sad and shocking. He seemed perfectly healthy when I met him at Holiwood Nights. I am just, really surprised. He will never get to ride in the timberliners... [:(]
American Eagle Lover

Post June 14th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
Reat in peace...Really sad,he was so young...
All RCCAs should be RMC'd. And that event shall be henceforth known as the Rollercaust.

Post June 14th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
Am I the only one who thinks this is a Walt Disney death all over again?
Originally posted by dcs221
\nMack Daddy A113. That'll be your rap name.

Post June 15th, 2010, 1:02 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Originally posted by Jonny Richey

This is really sad and shocking. He seemed perfectly healthy when I met him at Holiwood Nights. I am just, really surprised. He will never get to ride in the timberliners... [:(]

Complications from diabetes can occur at any moment and if not treated immediately or sufficiently, could be life threatening. Of course it could have been other issues as well. One of my cross country coaches died while he was actually on a run. A piece of plaque came of the interior wall of his arteries and stopped his heart immediately. He was only 54 and in much better shape then majority of Americans. Even the healthiest of people can be affected by unknown health problems. I pray for Koch's family.

Post June 15th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Points on hand: 457.00 Points

I'm very very sad for him. I really miss him. I was met him last 4 yrs ago. I love these Holiday World Park. These Park is very best!!

I lived in Indiana. I was been there many times--> offen..

I'm prayer his familys. I wish go to see these funernal.

Lyle

Post June 15th, 2010, 4:09 pm

If you are wanting to go this was posted on Holiday world's Facebook.

Visitation will be tomorrow (Wednesday) at the Santa Claus United Methodist Church, from 2-8 pm CDT. Will's funeral will be Thursday at 10:30 am CDT.

This is also a good article too

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/j ... on-friend/

Post June 17th, 2010, 10:51 pm

Post July 3rd, 2010, 9:33 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
In Honor of will someone should recreate the Voyage...
I was at Holiday World Yesterday and saw Pat....and after seeing some old ladies tell her, We're Sorry about your son" i told her how much the park meant to me and how it probably is the Nicest Friendliest and Cleanest Park around. Rest in Peice Will :(

Return to General Theme Park Discussions