Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Six Flags Great America 8/9 PTR

Six Flags Great America 8/9 PTR

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post August 10th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I was really excited to get to my first SF park, along with three exciting firsts. First Batman, B&M Flying and B&M Mega. What a shit-hole the park is though. The worst management team of any establishment I've ever interacted with. I've honestly never met so many stupid people that have jobs.

The day started out as a pure drag. Thankfully it brightened up later on, but are you love shitting me? The roller coasters are awesome, but frankly, the management team makes the "park" itself, and I've never been to a worse amusement park because of this. I had a backpack with a sweatshirt, change of clothes, a hat, some water and my wallet, iPod, and phone. I go to Superman, not operating. I move on to Whizzer, not operating. I go to American Eagle, I go to Batman, I go to Raging Bull. Not operating. Finally, Iron Wolf was up and running and was walk-on. But really? Not only was half of the park inoperative until it was fully up and running at noon, but the staff didn't know anything. I had problems with the lockers (which are a fricking scam. $1 for 2 hours, and required for every ride. Can't take anything in line other than Whizzer. I was able to use one locker for multiple rides in some cases, but Six Flags is an overpriced pain in my ass.) When I had problems with the locker outside of Iron Wolf, the first three employees I consulted didn't know to work the lockers. Not to mention most of them had no idea how to get around the park, directing me in the wrong way to rides a few times. Honest to god...

I recommend this park because it has very good rides, some that are very original and you can't find anywhere else. But I will never go again.

This is the order, from least favorite to favorite, of rides I got on.

8-Iron Wolf; This ride was awesome, despite what I heard! I rode once in front, and it was insanely forceful and quick! A lot better than Mantis, in my opinion. The quick sine-wave whip in the second half is amazing! The corkscrew is very powerful and it generally has a pretty cool second half.

7-Demon; I rode once in front, and it was walk on as well. Despite it being low on the list, it was really cool. An awesome first drop, I like that it doesn't straighten out. I should've gotten in the back to get some mean airtime. The first loop is crazy, but the second loop is absolutely crazy. Pinned into the seat the full cycle. Cool tunnels on this ride too. The entrance to the corkscrews is so querky, I love it. I wish it had a powerful helix like VF's corkscrew to end it though.

6-Superman; A cool, comfortable ride but not worth the wait at all. I waited 80 minutes for the front, and aside from the pretzel, this wasn't a very good ride. Sitting in the front and being pushed quickly back up to the top of the pretzel really shook me up. A lot of forces there. Not much to say, I'd really like to get on Manta and Tatsu after this experience though.

5-American Eagle; Classic! Enormous drop that last forever it seems, a great airtime. Lots of long lasting hills and remarkable laterals in the giant turnaround. A genuine wooden coaster. Very rough.

4-Viper; Awesome ride. Shaky and rattly, but great airtime and headchoppers. A great layout, not to mention. Rode in front once, and this has a beautiful drop. Cool turn arounds and small hills. There's nothing really wrong with this ride honestly, just didn't match with some of the other ones.

3-Whizzer; I was looking forward to this ride most, and it shaped up to be absolutely lovely. I went on 3 times, once in back and twice in front. This thing has ridiculous forces! Not any airtime, but a marvelous layout and absolutely tremendous low-ground turns that pound you into your seat. Good scenery, maneuvering in and out of the trees. Comfortable seats too, with only a seatbelt. This is really my type of ride.

2-Batman; Wow, this thing starts up in a blink and is over just as quickly, but quick as hell elements and forces that almost had my vision blurred. I sat in the back right, and the drop was great. The loop and zero-g roll were crazy powerful, but the second loop and two corkscrews were like nothing I've ever ridden. An ingenious layout, B&M really brought the fire. I'll just say this ride didn't strike me as special until I got on it.

1-Raging Bull; Amazing, I need to start booking trips to get on B&M Megas, as this one doesn't look like nearly the best, and it was still one of the most memorable coaster experiences I've ever been able to enjoy. I sat in the back first, and the front second. I like the back better. The drop is unbelievable, especially with the pre-drop to level the train out to 0* as it begins to really pick up speed. Awesome hammerhead, that really is a cool element. The trims were engaged on the straight hill and the air still seemed to last forever. The turning hill and second hammerhead were awesome. The brake had somewhat of trimmage on it, and the drop out of it struck me as crazy! A good airhill after that, and a surprisingly forceful helix. This helix led into another quick drop with some nice air. Yet another engaged trim, and yet this low-ground turn and helix and final turn followed were so forceful, I almost couldn't hold my hands up! Best ride at the park easily, and I only waited 20-30 minutes.

Other than the beginning of the day, the day was very enjoyable. Full of fun rides, and thankfully after about noon I had no reason to interact with the staff.

Last edited by GerstlCrazy on August 10th, 2010, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post August 10th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Nice pictures of Whizzer! I love that coaster.

Too bad the management seemed terrible, apparently August 8th was many employee's last day.
American Eagle Lover

Post August 10th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
Well,hows the maintenace of the rides? hope good,rides like whizzer need to be kept alive!

Post August 10th, 2010, 5:28 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
why'd you skip V2, and The Dark Knight
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post August 10th, 2010, 6:05 pm

^I have Steel Venom. Not worth waiting for a ride I've already been on. And who cares about Dark Knight, people were complaining about it breaking down and having a huge worthless wait all day.

Post August 10th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
^viper is the mirror image of the now gone psyclone at magic mountain
B:TR is the first of which more clones came, but still technically the same as other B:TRs

i understand if you didnt have enough time to ride V2, personally if i had to skip a ride in the park, that would be my choice. but The Dark Knight has little to no wait usually, so it would be quite simple to squeeze in a quick ride.
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post August 10th, 2010, 9:43 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

Originally posted by Metazoanhaddock

why'd you skip V2, and The Dark Knight
this is a rollercoaster enthusiasts website.. gerts had one shot at this park and he didnt have any one to drag him to the generic rides..why on earth would a member of this site with his level of enthusiasm bother with rides just like ones at other parks ? and know this.. i havent been to great amrica since 1990, so i havent ridden viper, but i can assure you, in spite of that that it is a much much better ride.

Post August 10th, 2010, 10:23 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Nice pics and everything. I have pretty much exactly the same opinions on all of the rides... except Demon. I'm not the biggest fan of Demon. The tunnel and everything is cool, but the transition into the cork was so unexpectedly rough, and it gave me a headache for a while. When I went, the Dark Knight had a good 45 minute wait, longer than anything else I rode during the day.

Post August 11th, 2010, 12:12 am

B:TR is the first of which more clones came, but still technically the same as other B:TRs

Thank you for telling me what I already knew. I haven't been on either of them, either way. So...if you're suggesting I should've skipped them because they're clones...

you're dumb

Post August 11th, 2010, 7:59 am

Points on hand: 77.00 Points

i understand if you didnt have enough time to ride V2, personally if i had to skip a ride in the park, that would be my choice. but The Dark Knight has little to no wait usually, so it would be quite simple to squeeze in a quick ride.

Difference is that Viper doesn't run with B&M's shitty woodie rolling stock. And would you rather ride a crappy wild mouse or a B&M Invert with awesome forces?

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports