Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Earthquke Hits Japan's East Coast.....Again

Earthquke Hits Japan's East Coast.....Again

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
This time it was a 7.1 earthquake (Japan says it was a 7.4 on their scale.), although thats just what we are thinking now, that struck Miyagi on April 7th 2011. This is the third major earthquake to hit Japan in a little over a month. This quake is about 41 miles south of Sendai which was hit hard by the quake on March 11, 2011.

Workers evacuated the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant following the quake, the Tokyo Electric Power Company said. The company said it has communication with the plant and the power is still on there. There were no immediate reports of damage, it said.
Source: CNN.com

The earthquake struck at about 11:30 PM Japan's time, or, about 10:30 AM EDT. Tsunami warnings were issued then canceled after about 90 minutes.

Post April 7th, 2011, 2:22 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

its not the earthquake that's the problem, it's those gawt dang tsunami's. Japan has incredible building codes, and other then having to clean up all the paper work that goes flying around every where, people are typically ok. It is rather amazing though that Japan keeps on being hit by these large earthquakes.

Post April 7th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Points on hand: 1,866.00 Points

Post April 7th, 2011, 4:00 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

There have been literally hundreds of earthquakes above 5.0 in and around Japan since the big 9.0 earthquake, many of which have been over 7.0... why pick this one?

Post April 7th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Because its so close to the last one Gouldy...but I agree, its not a big deal to them typically. The threat of a tsunami is the only real threat. I mean, if they can not suffer massive structural damage from a 9, a 7.4 isnt going to dent anything but crap falling off your desk.

Notice how calm and collected they are too as a whole peoples?

When California gets its "big one" its going to result in MASS HYSTERIA, complete and utter destruction and one massive loss of life and property.

Heck, even a 7.5 would do that. a 9 would just be absolutely epic on the grand scale. Japan will most likely end up looking at us when this happens and shaking their heads at us. Were so unprepared.

Post April 7th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Originally posted by Real

When California gets its "big one" its going to result in MASS HYSTERIA, complete and utter destruction and one massive loss of life and property.

Heck, even a 7.5 would do that. a 9 would just be absolutely epic on the grand scale. Japan will most likely end up looking at us when this happens and shaking their heads at us. Were so unprepared.

2 things:

1: it depends on where the epicenter is
2: We had a very large quake last Easter about 20 mi south of the california/mexico border, though it was felt as far north as San Francisco, there was no mass panic and hysteria, just a lot of people that were, pardon my pun, shaken up a little bit. Though we are a little less prepared for a massive quake than other countries, schools do a great job of making people not only aware, but, teach us how to react in the moments during and after a quake strikes. Yearly disaster drills do a lot for preparedness.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post April 7th, 2011, 6:08 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

as long as all of our infrastructure remains intact, i do not for see any mass panic. But if resources such as gas, electricity, or water get shut off, i definitely see groups from the lower class going crazy. Just look at the Laker's win last year.. that was enough to set off the city of LA.

Post April 7th, 2011, 6:39 pm

and Katrina...

Im not talking about quakes in the ocean, Im talking about the faults that run in and around cali. When one of those goes, its going to mess some sh*t up!

Post April 7th, 2011, 7:21 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Shallow subduction zones make the worst earthquakes. San Andreas isn't one of those. I'm not saying it's something to be taken lightly, it just won't produce a 9 since those never do that.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 7th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
I`m wondering why C5 doesn`t seem to care about the happenings in Japan

Post April 7th, 2011, 7:52 pm

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Shallow subduction zones make the worst earthquakes. San Andreas isn't one of those. I'm not saying it's something to be taken lightly, it just won't produce a 9 since those never do that.

yea, I have read that. but not to say even a 7 wouldnt be like a 9 over here in relation to the damage.

Post April 7th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

yeah, that would be true, if it wasn't for the billions of dollars spent state wide since the 1994 Northridge quake on RETROFITTING!!!!

Image Insert:
49.9 KB

This map illustrates the 2 biggest threats in the southwest quadrant of California. The obvious San Andreas fault and the Rose Canyon fault. Though the SA fault is the largest, the Rose Canyon fault has not been active for a very long time and is, according to seismologists and geologists, is long overdue for producing a massive (7.5+) quake. keep in mind that on the richter scale, every increase of 0.1 is 10x stronger and every full point is 100x stronger so, a 7.1 quake is 110x stronger than a 6.0. the Northridge quake was only 6.7, and caused massive damage, so, I am pretty shocked that the quake in Japan did not yield a lot more damage, considering it was over 200x stronger than the Northridge quake.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post April 7th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Somehow I dont think retrofitting is nearly as reliable as building it correctly from the beginning.

This discussion has already been had elsewhere. Japan is far ahead of us on earthquake building codes. Theres still many, many buildings that are not even retrofitted with the new stuff.

Return to Off Topic Discussion