Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Favorite coaster of all time!

Favorite coaster of all time!

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post April 26th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Points on hand: 797.00 Points
Hi, please post your favorite coaster and why below.

Mine is X2 at sfmm.

Post April 26th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

why is it your favorite?
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 26th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Points on hand: 797.00 Points
Sorry about that.

It is my favorite because it is really disorienting and the soundtrack is great, also the raven turns are super cool.

Post April 26th, 2011, 1:25 pm
Jer User avatar

Points on hand: 1,089.00 Points

El Toro

I aint gotta explain poop for this.
Phoenix|Maverick|Skyrush|RFII|Leviathan|Bizzaro[SFNE]|Bdash|Griffon|El Toro|Verbolten
RIP Chiller: 1997-2008

Post April 26th, 2011, 1:48 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Originally posted by Jer

El Toro

I aint gotta explain poop for this.

why not? [}:)]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 26th, 2011, 1:55 pm
Jer User avatar

Points on hand: 1,089.00 Points

Because it's El Toro mothafucka! Shits off the hook.
Phoenix|Maverick|Skyrush|RFII|Leviathan|Bizzaro[SFNE]|Bdash|Griffon|El Toro|Verbolten
RIP Chiller: 1997-2008

Post April 26th, 2011, 2:08 pm
thrillsentertainment Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,028.00 Points
Maverick
Same reason as Jer's explanation for El Toro.

Post April 26th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Points on hand: 602.00 Points
Currently, It's Maverick.

It is without a doubt the most intensely paced coaster I have been on. Starting with the quick LSM's that propel you to the top giving you very little time to prepare yourself for that crazy first drop. (especially during the first ride.) The lightning quick yet glass smooth transitions. The quick yet fun Horseshoe roll, 70mph enclosed launch, strong ejector air and whiplash overbanks, this ride has pretty much everything.

Post April 26th, 2011, 2:51 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Montu. The best combination of powerful elements and pacing.

Post April 26th, 2011, 3:00 pm

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
Maverick is really up there. I don't personally have a #1 coaster, but Maverick, Millennium Force, Kumba, Evel Knievel, and The Voyage all can be considered top 5.

-

Maverick's first half was above average in terms of excitement, and I had generally good impressions at that point. However, it was the second half that did me in. Those overbanks, each one unique in it's own way, are just plain awesome. The first one felt like a Matrix wall-run through a low-gravity zone, while the second one felt like someone jumping to a rather upside-down overbanked platform and jumping down and vertical again.

I really loved that explosive finish and it's overbanks. Maybe it's because it was my first Intamin like that, but it was just cool.

As for Millennium Force...well...there is a lot of speed and a lot of floater air. Floater air is just underrated nowadays, and Millennium Force had nice, long stretches of it.

Kumba has always been a favorite since I'm a BGT fanboy. You can't deny that it's layout is one of the most genius uses of land and space in the coaster industry. Think if Kumba had just opened: it had one of the first zero-G rolls, a dive loop, a threading vertical loop, a wonderfully fit cobra roll, and two corkscrews that interlock in-front of a cross bridge that are mashed in on a tight, elevated plot of land. I can't think of a better layout plan that would have fit the area better than B&M's. Also, the difficulty of coming through with an innovative "standard" looper amidst the Arrows and delivering 7 inversions is pretty impressive as well. It's compact, yet sprawling at the same time. And its colors are sexy.

Evel Knievel just has great pacing. Maybe I like it so much because it's my first modern GCI, or maybe that triple bunny-zone does me in.

The Voyage is long and crazy.

-

That's everything in a nutshell. [:)]

Post April 26th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Maverick for me. Love it to death. See above for reasoning.

Post April 26th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Points on hand: 1,411.00 Points

Post April 26th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Wood is boulder dash. I think it's one of those rides you have to ride more than once in order to understand how amazing it is. Four word sum up the ride: Lats, airtime, speed, and insanity. Its just so fast and each hill is completely different, and every turn is a different feel. Yet everything flows in just an insane way. And being in the woods definitely adds to the speed and experience.

Followed by el toro.

Steel is storm runner. It may have just been a good day, but that ride is just perfect. Short, but it has everything and flow so well with such fast pacing and intensity. The launch is incredible and I have ridden enough launched coasters to know. The top hat has insane airtime. The drop out of the tophat is very long feeling and so good in the back. The immelman is extremely forceful and has a very unique but fun lead out hat kit kinda dives which is fun. Then the hill going in to the flying snake dive is el toro worth in terms of airtime, and that airtime somehow continues all the way through the flying snake dive and then it seems like you whip around and just fall down to he ground and go into the turny thing which reminds me of mavericks overbanks and it's just awesome and is a great ending to the ride.

Followed by bizarro.

Post April 26th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
I'll finally be able to get my ass out of Cedar Point this summer and take a road trip to more parks, but until then, my favorites are Maverick (strictly backseat only; much better forces) and Magnum XL 200. MF and TTD are fun too, but lack that intensity of forces.

Post April 26th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
new gwazie :) that ride went from rough to.insane just with new trains n a couple of patch ups...
because of its speed n lats
steel: kraken n kumba both have.good forces..

rides i hate with a passion: maverick at cedar point.. hurt my neck n rides n is one bash full ride :(
n mean streak.n rattler ... two wood coaster i refuse to ride due to poor patience n how rough they get

Post April 26th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Boulder dash. Look for kyle's explanation above for the reason why.

My second would have to be Bizarro at SFNE because of the awesome airtime, speed, layout, and the curving section, which is just pure madness.

[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post April 26th, 2011, 8:02 pm

^^^^I've heard amazing things about that snake dive on Storm Runner. It makes me want to go to Hershey.

Post April 26th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
For Wood: Hades!

For Steel: Space Mountain @ Disneyland.
American Eagle Lover

Post April 26th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Points on hand: 2,849.00 Points
^Space Mountain? hahaha. okay dude.

Probably Millennium Force and Apocalypse.

Post April 26th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Points on hand: 1,286.00 Points
Wood: Thunderhead at Dollywood. Incredibly paced ride, very smooth as well. It's one of those woodies that you can ride over and over again and not down the ibuprofen later on.

Steel: Maverick. For said reasons.

Post April 26th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
Originally posted by Jonny Richey

For Wood: Hades!

For Steel: Space Mountain @ Disneyland.

Space Mountain has like one dip, doesn't exceed 2.5gs, and 33mph. Why do you like this..?
Originally posted by dcs221
\nMack Daddy A113. That'll be your rap name.

Post April 26th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Because it's awesome? Way better than California Screamin....
American Eagle Lover

Post April 26th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Originally posted by chickenbowl

^Space Mountain? hahaha. okay dude.

Yeah, I can't believe he didn't say Tiger Terror. What a loser...he was probably too scared to ride it.

Post April 27th, 2011, 12:37 am

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Favorite Wood = El Toro
Favorite Steel = Phantom's Revenge

Oh, were you expecting something here?

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions