Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Severe Storms

Severe Storms

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post April 28th, 2011, 9:13 am

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Originally posted by Jcoasters

So Cal was having horrible weather today. The temperature was 75 degrees, which was really hot. Last night was also extremely cold with a temperature of 60 degrees. I hope we get better weather soon.

jcoasters, you're a love idiot.
[stoning]
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post April 28th, 2011, 9:26 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,878.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

That was horrible weather for us, nothing in comparison to the south went through. That was fail.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 28th, 2011, 10:08 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Jcoasters

So Cal was having horrible weather today. The temperature was 75 degrees, which was really hot. Last night was also extremely cold with a temperature of 60 degrees. I hope we get better weather soon.

You know people have probably died and lost their homes because of some of these supercells that have been wrecking havoc. I don't know if you've noticed but pretty much everyone here thinks you're an idiot and/or doesn't like you at all, so I'd tone it down a bit.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 28th, 2011, 10:13 am

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
Actually...at least 209 people have died in 6 states with hundreds injured and hospital's are starting to get full now. The death toll is still undetermined...there may still be more...this has been a really horrible 24 hours...[:(]

Tuscaloosa was one of the heaviest hit, with some communities getting entirely wiped off the map...video:

Reports vary, but the amount of tornado reports vary from 130-160 within the past 24 hours in those regions...and there may be more to come for the eastern seaboard now. I don't know what to say...this is just really bad, I'm praying for those whose lives were lost and I only hope that those who are injured can make a somewhat swift recovery.

Yahoo article as well: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_severe_weather

...poop.
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post April 28th, 2011, 10:24 am

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
It's OK! I like living in a state where any natural disaster that occurs at least gives me a little bit of a warning ahead of time.

Enjoy your beautiful weather! It's all you will have when your area is geographically changed permanently by an earthquake! [:D]
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post April 28th, 2011, 1:17 pm
WES User avatar

Points on hand: 1,732.00 Points

Post April 28th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
We had a big cell not too long ago that produced a few tornadoes here in PA. Not nearly as strong as those in the south though. Now it looks like the weather has past though. Now we wait for the next system sometime next week.

Post April 28th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Points on hand: 200.00 Points

I had 3 tornadoes in my area of PA today in the morning 2 were Ef1s and one was an EF2 that hit the county north of me this morning this all happen at 5am to 7am this morning. This has been a very stormy month with tornadoes and flooding. I got over 2 inches of rain today all of it in the morning. I fell really bad for the people in the south of this country they got hit with Ef5 tornadoes and EF3 tornadoes yesterday and last night. I hope that there is no more tornadoes this month or next month or this summer here in south central pa or anywhere in the USA this year. My State had 4 tornadoes this year so far that is alot of tornadoes for this state and this time of the year. There has now been over 165 torandos from yesterday and some today in my state and in New York and some other states on the East cost of the USA. I am still waiting to see what the official number of tornadoes in going to be for this month in the USA the weather service is still finding tornadoes and reporting them on there website and the weather channel.

Post April 29th, 2011, 12:47 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

This tornado in Smithville, MS just got officially rated an EF-5.

Given just how many unbelievable radar signatures with debris balls there were that afternoon, I'm fully expecting that we'll get at least one or two more EF-5 classifications before this thing is all said and done. Just unbelievable.

TUSCALOOSA:

Post April 29th, 2011, 4:04 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
This weather is really rather scary. But as much as I don't respect a lot of the people in the south, I've got to feel bad for them. They don't need any more of this poop.

Post April 29th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points

Post April 29th, 2011, 10:40 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

I am surprised we saw an EF-5 so soon after the upgraded scale to try and eliminate those tornadoes.

Also thought this would be interesting to some of us: http://www.rarearth.tv/today/imap

Post April 29th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Points on hand: 1,275.00 Points
Death toll now 329-exceeds the superoutbreak of 1974. One EF 5 confirmed in MS. Other EF5 suspected. Surveys continuing.At least 5 or 6 EF4. Very hard to believe in this day and age with interenet,tv etc etc that an outbreak like this causing so many deaths.

Post April 29th, 2011, 11:20 pm
WES User avatar

Points on hand: 1,732.00 Points
PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
844 PM EDT THU APR 28 2011

...PAST EF4/F4 TORNADOES IN GEORGIA...

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM SURVEY DETERMINED THAT AN EF4
TORNADO WITH WINDS OF 175 MPH OCCURRED IN CATOOSA COUNTY AS PART
OF THE HISTORIC APRIL 27-28 2011 OUTBREAK. EF4 TORNADOES ARE VERY
RARE IN GEORGIA. INCLUDING THIS EVENT...ONLY NINE EF4/F4
TORNADOES HAVE OCCURRED IN GEORGIA SINCE 1950.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=ef4tornado_history

Post April 30th, 2011, 12:18 am

Fusion and anyone else wondering why so many people died - Its really simple.

The southern states do not build houses with basements. Most of the south is either too low (aka high water table), too rocky or the red clay is too gnarly. Up north here and out west we are much higher than sea level and our ground is more dirt than it is clay and rock. Its just much costlier to build a basement than not.

So when you have mile and half wide tornado's packing 200mph winds...taking shelter in your tub is your only bet and its not even a good one.

Warnings were up early as they could be. Reed Timmer even said, we think weve reached the maximum warning with the kind of data we have. Between the advanced doppler systems and the storm spotters, people are getting 15-30 minute warnings.

Now, they are working with a company on some new cutting edge ideas but its all beta testing right now. The south needs to get with it and pony up the dough for storm shelters in the very least. Just dig a hole in the ground, put concrete around it and throw a flat door on top. Maybe stairs to another door to keep debris from getting inside if you dont want a full basement. But I dont see this severe weather being a one year thing down there. I bet its something slightly more normal.

Tetsu - heres the one I used that day. Tracked 4 storm chasers at once.

http://chase.tornadovideos.net/pages/full_screen

Post April 30th, 2011, 12:34 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

^ Thats what i wanted to post, coundnt find the link though. Thanks Real.

Post April 30th, 2011, 12:46 am

That one is still cool though, it covers more but the TVN link is more direct to Storms.

Kinda cool to see all those frost warnings and wildfire warnings though. Plethora of different conditions out there.

Post May 1st, 2011, 3:27 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Another tornado from the outbreak just got rated an EF-5... This one, which killed 25+ people in the town of Hackleburg, and 26 in Phil Campbell.

There are still 4 or 5 others that have been "preliminarily" been rated EF-4 but still have incomplete surveys on the damage thus far which was called "catastrophic," and thus could be bumped up. Regardless, this is the first tornado outbreak since March 1990 to include more than one F5/EF-5 tornado, and only the fifth time on record.

Post May 1st, 2011, 7:43 pm

Points on hand: 1,286.00 Points
You can see somewhat of a hook echo in this storm that was just east of Memphis, TN, about 20 minutes ago.

Post May 1st, 2011, 8:08 pm

Points on hand: 735.00 Points
where i live in stafford,va, got i think a few funnel clouds and A tornado. but va had 12 in total
Fly at the speed of fright

Post May 1st, 2011, 9:54 pm

Points on hand: 1,286.00 Points
We didn't get anything in south central kentucky. Some rain and thunder, that's about it.

Post May 18th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Points on hand: 3,207.00 Points

Originally posted by Tetsu

I am surprised we saw an EF-5 so soon after the upgraded scale to try and eliminate those tornadoes.

Also thought this would be interesting to some of us: http://www.rarearth.tv/today/imap

The Enhanced scale wasn't for the purpose of eliminating F-5 tornadoes, it was upgraded because damage levels associated with wind speed weren't differentiated as well as they could have been. (High-level F4 damage and F5 damage were both just complete destruction.) What once may have been a strong F4 tornado (Red Rock, Wichita Falls, etc.) would now probably be considered EF-5. So really, the bar was essentially lowered.
Granted, it's still incredible and amazingly uncommon to have that many cement-slab tornadoes in such a short span of time; I was in utter disbelief watching it all play out! Outbreaks like that only happen once or twice a century. [:O]

Post May 18th, 2011, 11:14 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Or more often because of the climate change that totally isn't happening.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post May 23rd, 2011, 5:18 pm
yoshifreak Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 241.00 Points

Post May 23rd, 2011, 5:22 pm

So we go from storms where people DONT have basements to storms where the noise level is so high that you cannot hear the warning sirens...

What next? What other exploit is mother nature going to take advantage of next? Im startin to feel like shes a hacker...just finding weaknesses and exploiting them.

The structural damage is par for the course. Its the 100+ deaths that concern me. That shouldnt happen. This thing was tornado warned the minute it hit the ground and people had a 15min lead time. But I heard the storm was so loud most people in Joplin couldnt hear the sirens.

So either their system is too weak or that storm was HELLA loud.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion