Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Favorite coaster of all time!

Favorite coaster of all time!

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post April 27th, 2011, 12:50 am

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
I was really not a fan of Storm Runner when I rode it. I thought it was rough as hell, and thus I couldn't really enjoy the ride too much. I did only ride it once, so maybe with multiple rides I'll be able to get past the pain, but until then it sits near the bottom of my list.

Post April 27th, 2011, 1:27 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points

Post April 27th, 2011, 1:47 am

Points on hand: 2,849.00 Points
Originally posted by Jonny Richey

Because it's awesome? Way better than California Screamin....

Dude, I think you've just been f'ing with us. You have the most backwards opinions of coasters. Seriously, most people think Hades is *now* rough, hate AE, enjoy Raging Bull, put Screamin' > Space Mountain, don't care about some poop kiddie coaster, and like Millennium Force. You; completely opposite.

CA Screamin' is awesome. Space Mountain may be themed well and have an awesome soundtrack, but so does Screamin'. Seriously, Screamin' is killer, and may favorite ride on it was when Disney put Rockin' CA Screamin' with Red Hot Chili Peppers, in the front row.

Dude, Space Mountain is so slow that they have big fans blowing on you to make it seem faster.

I don't understand how two enthusiasts opinions can differ that much. Maybe you just have weird preferences.

Post April 27th, 2011, 7:48 am

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points

Post April 27th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Points on hand: 1,145.00 Points
Either Storm Runner or Goliath at SFMM. Something about how smooth and flowing Goliath is(besides the brake run) just makes me love it. I always wondered how crazy that final helix would be if the brake run didn't slow the train down so much.

Post April 27th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Originally posted by boneplaya

I was really not a fan of Storm Runner when I rode it. I thought it was rough as hell, and thus I couldn't really enjoy the ride too much. I did only ride it once, so maybe with multiple rides I'll be able to get past the pain, but until then it sits near the bottom of my list.

Yeah ive heard that. Did you ride it in 2009? because that seems like it was its rough year. EVERYONE i know who rode it that year hates it. It was smoother than maverick when i rode it. No vibration or headbangs.

Post April 27th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Originally posted by chickenbowl

Originally posted by Jonny Richey

Because it's awesome? Way better than California Screamin....

Dude, I think you've just been f'ing with us. You have the most backwards opinions of coasters. Seriously, most people think Hades is *now* rough, hate AE, enjoy Raging Bull, put Screamin' > Space Mountain, don't care about some poop kiddie coaster, and like Millennium Force. You; completely opposite.

CA Screamin' is awesome. Space Mountain may be themed well and have an awesome soundtrack, but so does Screamin'. Seriously, Screamin' is killer, and may favorite ride on it was when Disney put Rockin' CA Screamin' with Red Hot Chili Peppers, in the front row.

Dude, Space Mountain is so slow that they have big fans blowing on you to make it seem faster.

I don't understand how two enthusiasts opinions can differ that much. Maybe you just have weird preferences.

Everyone has different tastes....

Everyone I've ever met up with at Great America loved the American Eagle..... and I do enjoy Raging Bull, it just gets boring after a while. I don't know any enthusiasts that "hate" American Eagle.

And are you kidding? Voyage was a HELL of a lot rougher than Hades this year, in fact rougher than ANY other coaster I've been on.... Hades is completely tolerable..... even for riding over and over again.

And Tiger Terror IS that insane..... ride something before you judge it.

I do like Millennium Force, it's my favorite coaster at Cedar Point. I was just stating that Tiger Terror has more laterals and stronger airtime.

California Screamin' is awesome, but I fell in love with Space Mountain.... it was just a much more "complete" ride.

again, I'll post my top 6:

1. Hades
2. American Eagle
3. Cyclops
4. Voyage
5. Evel Knievel
6. Cornball Express
American Eagle Lover

Post April 27th, 2011, 9:46 pm

^ Well I wasn't comparing Hades to Voyage, but most people like Voyage more because of the airtime. But sadly, both coasters have supposedly become more rough than originally. Cornball and Cyclops and American Thunder (Evel Kineval) do look awesome though. I need to get on more woodies.

And I think Space Mountain is fun, just doesn't compare to Screamin'.

I'm not going to start on Tiger Terror thing, because no one really cares about that ride.

Post April 27th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Hades has been fine..... and yes, Voyage has more airtime spots, but it's all floater. Hades has more ejector.
American Eagle Lover

Post April 28th, 2011, 9:32 am

Points on hand: 201.00 Points
My favourites are EGF because it's forcefull and has one of the best layouts and Silverstar just because I rode it 67 times now xD

Post April 28th, 2011, 10:45 pm

Points on hand: 1,531.00 Points
Wood Favorites:

1. Phoenix - it is the perfect old time double figure eight and an incredible airtime machine. Those final 4 airtime hills flying through the structure are what Mean Streak should have been.

2. Bolderdash - absolutely brilliant concept - the ultimate terrain coaster. For me, the best rides are during their Halloween weekends before dark - it flies through the multicolored woods. The constantly changing colors are a surreal blur.

3. The Coney Island Cyclone - One of the few remaining duck taped padded bar coasters out there. The beauty of the Cyclone is the sharp increase of the angle of descent part way down the hills. Best are the first and second drops. You get sucked down those hills. It feels like the train just fell off the track. Ejector airtime in the back seats. Two of my college age nephews, that will go on anything (free fall, sling shots, rip cords, etc.) wouldn't ride it twice. They said it scared the crap out of them.

4. Lightening Racer - For me, the most purely beautiful structure of any woodie. And its simply pure fun.

Steel Favorites:

1. Tatsu - the most interesting layout for a great ride. Love that the dive loop is at the end.

2. Millennium Force - elevator lift right out of the station. Great first drop, two great floater airtime hills.

3. Magnum XL-200 - yeah the ancient original. Still some of the best thigh bruising/butt slapping airtime in the world. Yeah, lots of people find it painful. I love it.

4. Top Thrill Dragster - have to ride in the front row for the eye popping air pressure. The dragster sounds and Christmas tree countdown adds tension that Kingda Ka is sorely missing before its "out of nowhere" launch.
Ed Boxer
Roller Coasters, Boxing, Lego, Architecture, Opera, Drum Corps
http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/9172/index.html

Post April 29th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
Well, that's a very hard question to answer. Only been to 3 theme parks with coasters, so I'm very limited.

Steel - Is pretty much a tie with X/X2, Riddler's Revenge and yes, Batman of SFMM.

X for it's innovation and the best first drop ever on a coaster. If you haven't experienced it first hand then your missing out.

Batman was my first B&M Inverted coaster and it's such a wonderfully designed small packaged, intense ride. G forces on the half helix (after loop 2) feels way more than +4.0 (or is B:TR rated at +4.5?), anyways, my feet and ankles always feel like jello from that ride. So far the most times I've ridden it in a row with only having to change seats if someone was waiting, was 9 times. Could barely walk to the exit. Go to SFMM during Winter season in between Turkey Day and XMas, you can ride almost every ride as many times as you want without getting off of the ride or station platform. No Re-queueing.

Riddler's, my second stand-up ride (first was Shockwave), is just freakin' awesome. Airtime at the apex of the loop? A first for me. Great first drop and a very hard one to re-create in NL (I'm still working on the drop and loop, atm). A ride I can only ride twice in a row. After that, I won't hit it again that day. Me old bones, me old bones. And it's green and love da greens.

Wood - I am very limited. But for fun factor, I would have to go with The Wild Cat (from the original Old Elich Gardens in Denver, CO, not the current site, and the ride was torn down and scrapped when they moved the park, unfortunately. I believe it was built in the 40s or possibly earlier, but I don't know for sure). It was the most intense wood coaster ever. Very rough, but not Cyclone rough, very simple layout, but it felt like the train would jump off the track at any moment. And some parts of the lift track were worn so thin, down to about 2 inches across, that the cars in front of you would wobble really bad. Plus the tie downs for the lift (turned right at top then dropped), were all slack. Scary.

And T:S (sfmm), only because it was my first GCI and secondly because it was a fun ride. Not too tame, not too intense, but intense enough to squeeze gas from my bowels after the fly-through. TMI? Themeing and name are just dumb though. A coaster for a Terminator movie is built out of wood? WTF?

Tetsu is pretty cool, but seems too short (though it broke the longest flyer record) and only 2 ground interactions? Bottom of the drop and the Pretzel. Otherwise your in the air mostly and 3 rolls is too many, felt repetitive to me.

Praying for the day they demolish Ninja. Horrible on opening day and now even worse.

Post April 29th, 2011, 7:30 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
for me it's a tie between Riddler's and X/X2
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post April 29th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Riddlers Is boring. Scream is better then Riddlers because they basically are the same, but Scream does not hurt your manly areas.
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post April 29th, 2011, 8:20 pm

^A: Riddler's doesn't hurt unless you're truly stupid and pull the banana up as high as possible.
B: Riddler's is a custom, and therefore unique, whereas Scream is a clone (sorta).
C: Riddler's is much more visually pleasing and doesn't sit over a parking lot.
D: Riddler's is DEFINITELY NOT the same. It's longer, faster, taller, and in fact, smoother than Scream.
Head Moderator
Chatroom Admin

Post April 29th, 2011, 8:21 pm

It is such a similar layout though.

Post April 29th, 2011, 8:22 pm

WTF? ARE YOU HIGH? the layouts are NOT similar.
Head Moderator
Chatroom Admin

Post April 29th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Riddlers, Scream, ad most B&M's are so similar its annoying. I feel like I am riding the same thing in different positions.

But I don't feel like arguing. This is all opinion, so there is no right answer.

Post April 29th, 2011, 8:31 pm

. . .
By your logic, all wooden coasters have similar layouts.
and differing layouts isn't opinion, it's fact.
Head Moderator
Chatroom Admin

Post April 29th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Points on hand: 935.00 Points
My favorite steel is Maverick by far. The airtime, transitions, and launch are just put together so nicely. Dueling Dragons(Dragon Challenge) and Magnum get honorable mentions.

Favorite wood is Shivering Timbers. I haven't ridden many good woodens, but this had some nice airtime and a nice helix which happen to be two of my favorite things.

Post April 29th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Originally posted by Metazoanhaddock

D: Riddler's is DEFINITELY NOT the same. It's longer, faster, taller, and in fact, smoother than Scream.

Well Scream only has one jerk at the bottom of the first drop. I get less head-banging on Scream than Riddler's. I prefer Riddler's though, for the reasons you posted above. But Scream is also a decent underrated coaster. It gets over-shadowed and over-looked by the other 3 B&M's.

Riddler's is also much better than Mantis by the way.

^Shivering Timbers is a great steel ;)

Post April 29th, 2011, 11:59 pm

. . .
By your logic, all wooden coasters have similar layouts.
and differing layouts isn't opinion, it's fact.

No. Not at all. I don't think you know anything about this thing called "logic." That fact that he says that all B&M's are similar in no way implies that all wooden coasters are smilar.

He was implying that since 90% of B&Ms follow the same general curved drop > loop > dive loop pattern to start out that they feel very similar while on the ride. HOnestly, I am in complete agreement with that conclusion.

Post April 30th, 2011, 12:33 am

^that may be, but he was talking about layouts, not elements. Many wooden coasters start out the same, but can have dissimilar layouts.
Head Moderator
Chatroom Admin

Post April 30th, 2011, 12:49 am

Riddler's looks kick-ass. I love Iron Wolf.... First B&M FTW!!
American Eagle Lover

Post April 30th, 2011, 1:26 am

^that may be, but he was talking about layouts, not elements. Many wooden coasters start out the same, but can have dissimilar layouts.

Often, the order of elements determine the layout. And B&M's have very similar layouts following the first few elements as well. Few turns here and there, maybe a helix. They're all the same. One cannot say the same about wooden coasters.

PreviousNext

Return to General Theme Park Discussions