Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Post your car

Post your car

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post July 11th, 2011, 1:16 am
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

man, i used to get 30 + mpg from my 1986 vw 1.8 liter jetta, i loved that car, and it probabaly got that sort of mileage because i was always tuning on it .

Post July 11th, 2011, 1:58 am

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Originally posted by gouldy

Originally posted by boneplaya

Something is seriously wrong with America's cars.

That's the thing; a Mazda 3, although perhaps altered specifically for the American market before it leaves Japan, isn't an American car. The last time my mom was looking for a medium sized new car, a Mazda 3 was one of the cars she was looking at and it's fuel consumption on a combined cycle was 62mpg. Even the hot hatch Mazda 3 does 42mpg on a combined cycle. So, what's going on!? Do they just strap in a terrible engine in the American version of cars?

I don't get it, it's not like they don't have access to the technology. For example, although my car and Fords like the Focus and the Fiesta are designed and built by Ford's European arm, Ford is still an American company...

Even the Focus RS500, the VERY hottest of all the hot hatches still returns over 30mpg combined, read down this page: http://www.rs-ford.co.uk/ford-focus-rs-mk2/

And yet, I get the feeling that to an American, 30mpg return on fuel would be something to be quite pleased with? I really don't get it.

Yeah, 30 mpg, depending on the type of car, is generally considered "good". My Civic gets 30ish average, and that's with me driving like a...well, like a teenaged boy. I think the best you can hope for over here, at least without springing for a hybrid, is 40ish mpg. Sad, really, when you all on the other side of the atlantic would be complaining about anything below 50!

Your cars are no more expensive than the cars we have over here, are they? (for reference, economical, compactish new cars run $12,000-$18,000, or, what, ?????????8,000-?????????12,000?)

Post July 11th, 2011, 6:27 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,619.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

yeah actually they are more expensive like everything, our cars are hideously more expensive. Depending on the currency exchange rate, they have been as much as double the price for the exact same car.

What car companies like to do with the cars over here is essentially cross out the dollar sign and write a pound sign instead.

As an example, I've always wanted to own an Evo (pipe dream really, the insurance and tax on a car like that would be a joke). I've done research in the past about getting one, researching things like importing and such. But the UK has the very best models of the Mitsubishi Evo, so I never wanted anything other than an FQ model (The model fiddled with in the UK). But having said that even the basic 240Bhp Evo was ?????????27,995 here in the uk and at the same time, EXCATLY the same car was on sale in America for less than $26,000...

At the time, the exchange rate was such that the pound was worth about 1.8 dollars (mid 2004) so:

?????????27,995 equalled $50,300
$26,000 equalled ?????????14,450

Coming back closer to your specific question though, about the cost of a compactish new car here. Well, I'll assume you mean something like a family hatchback, something like the previously mentioned Mazda3 is probably a good example...:

Just looking at Mazda's site, in the UK the Mazda 3 is currently on sale for ?????????15,000 (Base model) up to ?????????21,000 (Highest spec)

and on the US site, the same car starts at $15,000 and goes up to $22,500.

So pretty much like I said, just cross out the dollar sign and write a pound sign. [lol] We get raped like this in this country on pretty much everything.

Post July 11th, 2011, 8:05 am
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
Not all cars over here in England are super economical. I drive a Mazda 6 2L that is only 5 years old and average around 28mpg if I go steady. If I am on small fun country roads then I go as low as 20mpg. I love my car even though it eats fuel, it is comfy, fun to drive and has a huge boot and that makes me happy

Post July 11th, 2011, 8:36 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^It's true. Obviously cars like Ferraris and Imprezas and Evos and Lambos all have terrible economy [lol]. But yeah, some of the more reasonable cars aren't great either. My mom's Civic only has a tiny 1.4lt engine and still only gives her 35mpg on a combined cycle.

Maybe it's just the European Fords that have good performance vs economy stats? They seem to have it really nailed. I drive KAs, Fiestas and a huge Ford Transit flatbed truck, all of which give me good return. Especially the truck, considering it has a 3.6lt Turbo Diesel engine... thing's a love' beast.

Having said all that, Volkswagon have that petrol Lupo that'll do 100mpg, so it can't just be Ford doing it.

I just found something funny on wikipedia, under a picture of a Prius, it said this:

"A Toyota Prius Hybrid, features an EPA fuel economy rating of 48 MPG city and 45 highway(55% above national average). It was recently named the most fuel efficient vehicle in the United States by the Sierra Club, and has been cited as an example by environmentalists and celebrities to make a statement in favor of more fuel efficient vehicles."

This made me realise something must be slightly wrong as I am fully aware that a Prius has a fuel economy of more like 65mpg. Well then I sit here and remember that an American gallon is actually 1.2 times the size of a UK gallon [lol] So the mpg stats in the US are bound to be lower. [lol]

Even with this mistake, there is still a gulf, because that means the average 60mpg that I get from my KA, is 50mpg to an American, which is still better than a Prius, and my car is just a plain straight up petrol engine.

Post July 11th, 2011, 9:25 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Gouldy it's because everyone is fat so they require their cars to have 0.5 sec faster 0-60 times so their dick feels better.

Same stupidity behind people refusing to get a van over a pickup truck. Same engine, same amount of space (usually more), but you have this "roof" thing fr your stuff.

And before the rednecks post yes I do understand the ground clearance issue. Deal with it and stop pretending 2 inches of snow or a flat gravel road is an excuse to get four wheel drive. If the Top Gear people can drive 20 year old cars that have probably been involved in a war through Africa fine then you can do it too in a normal one.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 11th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
My truck maybe gets 14 mpg on a good day haha. And it doesn't help that i'm usually driving about an hour to get work. While I can see that you saying a van would be a better choice but something tells me when I have to haul concrete that had been broken up and my truck's suspension is sagging, a van couldn't do the same. And Since i'm moving soon it is a lot easier for me to be able to move most of my stuff with the truck. But I am only one case and it would make sense of others to have a van over a truck. And No one can argue that having a truck this last winter was a stupid move. 20+" inches of snow was just fine for me haha.

Post July 11th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
One of my best friend's got a brand new Camaro as her graduation gift! It's an amazing car to say the least, and she says it gets 35 mpg!
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post July 11th, 2011, 1:06 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by BackroadBridge

My truck maybe gets 14 mpg on a good day haha. And it doesn't help that i'm usually driving about an hour to get work. While I can see that you saying a van would be a better choice but something tells me when I have to haul concrete that had been broken up and my truck's suspension is sagging, a van couldn't do the same. And Since i'm moving soon it is a lot easier for me to be able to move most of my stuff with the truck. But I am only one case and it would make sense of others to have a van over a truck. And No one can argue that having a truck this last winter was a stupid move. 20+" inches of snow was just fine for me haha.

You are aware that most trucks and vans have the same suspension and underlying frame right? All you've accomplished is made it easier for people to steal stuff out of the back when you're not looking.

Post July 11th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Trucks look a lot better than vans though.

Post July 11th, 2011, 2:44 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Blonde 17year old girls tend to look a lot better than 42 year old burley blokes, but if I was moving a ton of stuff from one location to another, I'd hire the ugly burley blokes.... save the girls for later.

Post July 11th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Points on hand: 735.00 Points
Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

You are aware that most trucks and vans have the same suspension and underlying frame right? All you've accomplished is made it easier for people to steal stuff out of the back when you're not looking.

this is true, when my dad had his truck he had put a bed cover on it. nothing got stolen out of the back they just stole the tailgate itself
Fly at the speed of fright

Post July 11th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

i shall be posting a photo friday of my brand new car, im keeping my van but upgradeing a little
Making screams come true

Post July 11th, 2011, 4:00 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Been re-gravelling our drive over the last couple of days, so I've got my truck home from work at the moment.

And unlike most of the "trucks" posted, it's an actual truck, for carrying things rather than posing in an oversize vehicle that has no genuine use. I use it at work, carrying stuff like big fabrications and machines to the painters and to their installation destination. Been using it to carry tonne bags of gravel though recently [lol]

It's a Ford Transit Flatbed (Long Wheel Base),
3.6 litre TDCi turbo diesel engine,
4.2m x 2.1m (14ft x 7ft) Flatbed with fully removable/foldable sides and back.

The first 2 gears are pretty short because the truck is geared up for pure torque, but once you're in 3rd gear and the turbo kicks in at 2500RPM... if the truck is empty... love me, thing is a beast!

Post July 11th, 2011, 6:52 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by bigbadwolffan

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

this is true, when my dad had his truck he had put a bed cover on it. nothing got stolen out of the back they just stole the tailgate itself

Bed covers allow for practically a 3rd the space that a van would allow with a cover. They're a stupid vehicle aside from very specific situations.

Post July 11th, 2011, 7:03 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

HEY, DING DONG. a van is not a good substitute for a pick up. if you've ever had to load or unload either a pick up is a much much more efficient option.

Post July 11th, 2011, 7:09 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Not to be a smartass but I unloaded a van daily when I worked at the tool factory. It's easier. More places to tie down boxes, it can run anytime without ruining product with rain, and they're much better.

Post July 11th, 2011, 7:10 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Post July 11th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Points on hand: 287.00 Points

Post July 12th, 2011, 2:25 am

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
My mom and dad just bought me a nice new Ridgeline. I put my piano back there for safe keepings

This is not my signature.

Post July 12th, 2011, 2:26 am

Pathetic...

Post July 12th, 2011, 1:58 pm

Been re-gravelling our drive over the last couple of days, so I've got my truck home from work at the moment.

com'on now gouldy thats not a truck is it, its a van with a flat back, neither are your american "trucks" trucks either, there a 4x4 with a flat back. if you want a truck do it properly and go to scania.

carnt wait to go get my new car now, im so excited. FRIDAY!!!!!
Making screams come true

Post July 12th, 2011, 3:07 pm
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
Any teasers or hints to what you are getting Gazag?

Post July 12th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
My transport method gets #8734; mpg. It goes as far as I want it to. I tried selling it to Gouldy as he got slinked when he went to go buy his new car, but I don't think he's interested. :(
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post July 12th, 2011, 4:07 pm

im not telling, you can guess if you like but im not saying, it was either putting a deposit on a flat near work and owning a place or buying this car and continued renting. renting was the cheaper option and i like where i live so im fine there, new car it was.
Making screams come true

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion