Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Round Two of Coasters Being Unsafe!

Round Two of Coasters Being Unsafe!

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post July 16th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
http://lansing.injuryboard.com/miscellaneous/tragic-roller-coaster-accident-leads-authorities-to-question-ride-safety.aspx?googleid=292202

What started as a bogus report made by ABC is now a real concern.

This is taken WAY out of proportion, and I honestly think that in order to stop all this is to have us coaster enthusiasts show just how safe roller coasters truly are.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post July 16th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
This is the most poorly written article I have read in a while. They start off by making some outrageous claims, specifically saying "you can get hurt without even knowing it", then don't even bother to explain themselves. Instead, they mention a completely unrelated incident, then actually give the people some helpful (yet still unrelated) information.

Seriously, what the f**k? This is why EVERY news station should be declared an "illegal terrorist organization".
American Eagle Lover

Post July 16th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Points on hand: 1,286.00 Points
Anyone else notice the guy who wrote the damn thing was an attorney?

Post July 16th, 2011, 10:01 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
Originally posted by rcking04

This is taken WAY out of proportion, and I honestly think that in order to stop all this is to have us coaster enthusiasts show just how safe roller coasters truly are.

I already do this [dorkhat]

Whenever I talk to my friends about roller coasters, it's one of the main points I stress.
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post July 17th, 2011, 1:30 am

Points on hand: 53.00 Points
exactly. these reports over react about things. "abrubtly stopped mid ride," they make it sound like the texas giant stopped while the ride was in action. but it stopped while it was climbing the lift hill. there wasnt an accident on the texas giant. the ride stopping on the lift hill prevented anything from happening, which to me, sounds like the ride is safe. and the only reason that man was killed on ride of steel is because of the operators' mistakes by letting him on the ride even with his physical condition. all these reports blow these safety issues waaay out of proportion.

Post July 17th, 2011, 10:01 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by rcking04

http://lansing.injuryboard.com/miscellaneous/tragic-roller-coaster-accident-leads-authorities-to-question-ride-safety.aspx?googleid=292202

Journalists are and always will be stupid, which is why I don't trust anything they say unless it's accompanies by a largely unedited video that I can physically see of said event, or they cite something that has no journalists in it.

Example Situation: Hypothetical plane crash happens in Iowa 1 hour ago
- Fox News: Sharia Law and Obama caused this. We need gun laws so people can guns on planes. Derp
- MSNBC: The TSA failed to do something maybe and look at how stupid Michelle Bachmann/Sarah Palin is. Derp
- CNN: [insert average leaning towards the more "entertaining" slant at the time]. Gravity is hard

***Several Days Later***
All of them: The FAA has concluded the plane flew into a flock of geese.

All I needed to know throughout all of this was:
1. A plane crashed
2. What the FAA found

The rest in the middle was sensational garbage.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 17th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points

Post July 17th, 2011, 1:22 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Nutrition and climate change are especially prone to the above cycle. Usually things like chemistry and physics have too deep a vocabulary for them to even try.

Source: phdcomics.com

To add to my hypothetical plane crash example above, it depends entirely on the new being able to understand what the FAA said, which quite frankly they usually don't since journalism majors are mostly a very stupid bunch.

Post July 17th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Points on hand: 735.00 Points
i say we all write a document of a formal complaint and send it in and have everyone in the coaster community sign it
Fly at the speed of fright

Post July 17th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
When I read posts like these,Ck,then I wish they had a like button.
I also hate it how GP is stupid and still belives that coasters are unsafe or are willing to belive the bulls**t that says that coasters are unsafe.I mean,it won`t be apocalypse just because a ride stops on the lift.Thats just like you won`t get ill IRL from a computer virus.
All RCCAs should be RMC'd. And that event shall be henceforth known as the Rollercaust.

Post July 18th, 2011, 1:44 am

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
coasterkid, this is the one time I actually agree with you. But there's one thing missing from that cycle: Grandma bought that had from someone, and someone is making money on it. It's likely that the corporation that made the hat also owns the news company. Coincidence?
American Eagle Lover

Post July 18th, 2011, 3:21 am

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points

Post July 18th, 2011, 9:45 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yeah it's really not missing at all.

Post July 18th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Points on hand: 5,397.00 Points
why was a double leg amputee riding a roller coaster. the ride operator is an idiot it called common sense. no offense but a double leg amputee has no business riding a roller coaster

Return to Off Topic Discussion