Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Return Project - Omega (Uploaded! Link pg 3)

Return Project - Omega (Uploaded! Link pg 3)

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post August 16th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I'd help, just rode a few sexy Intamins on my last trip. I do think the radius at the top of the lift is too small but I'd have to ride and feel it before I'm too sure.

-Jake

Post August 16th, 2011, 8:47 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
I would, but as of right now, im stuck in arizona with no computer that can run nl, i should be back in less than a week if thats okay with you. If thats too long a time, its okay, i completely understand.
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post August 17th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

Metazoanhaddock, that's fine I don't mind waiting a bit. I've got a few other projects I can work on for a while, I need a quick break from this one anyway. If you and Jake PM me your email I'll get it sent.

Post September 5th, 2011, 8:02 am

Update: Supports and terrain are now done. I've named it Omega, and will be themed around greek ruins.

1st section:
Image Insert:
390.1 KB

Island Area:
Image Insert:
426.36 KB

Lift hill + helix:
Image Insert:
447.2 KB

Central Caves:
Image Insert:
462.86 KB

Eastern Cave:
Image Insert:
378.92 KB

I'll be the first to admit the 3ds isn't amazing, but it does its job. For my next project I'll definitely use a new 3ds program, I think I've got about all I can out of Object Creator.

Couple things I'd really appreciate some opinions on, should I use 3d bolts or stick with flat textures for flanges and track connectors? Obviously 3d ones would look better, but with say 20 polygons per bolt, 10 bolts per flange and about 200 flanges/track connectors, that's 40000 polys spent on a fairly small detail, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Also, do you think I should add mist/smoke to the cave entrances? These aren't meant to be dark, claustrophobic tunnels, and they don't feel like that right now, but adding smoke might change that. However, the contrast between inside and outside is a bit stark at the moment, so maybe just some light mist would work?

Any thoughts? [:)]

Post September 5th, 2011, 8:48 am
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
The caves and ride itself are looking real nice.

I would just use textures for the flanges and keep them extra polys for detail elsewhere. The smoke/mist I am unsure about, it does normally add to a tunnel/cave entrance/exit but is nearly always used, so for that case I would say leave it out.

Post September 5th, 2011, 10:43 am

Points on hand: 686.00 Points
Planning for 5 years, it better be good haha.
So yeah, the caves look really amazing, track looks good, supports clean, & with these greek ruins, probably will be an amazing ride overall.

Post September 5th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
This is really late, but it's great to see you working on tracks again. As for this one, it's looking pretty spectacular so far. Are you planning on doing extensive 3ds work on the station and surrounding area?
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post September 5th, 2011, 6:10 pm

Originally posted by OinzCEO17

Planning for 5 years, it better be good haha.

That was a joke. (The ride(s) I've been planning for 5 years are still in early development. [:p])
Originally posted by Flickstah

Are you planning on doing extensive 3ds work on the station and surrounding area?
Well, I wasn't "planning" on even doing extensive 3ds work on the tunnels, but I just couldn't help adding stuff and improving them until I got what you see now. So knowing me I probably will end up doing quite a bit of 3ds around the station without actually intending to. [lol]

Also, custom skybox! How come hardly anyone ever does these?

Image Insert:
356.54 KB

Post September 5th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Points on hand: 1,286.00 Points

Post September 5th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
That right there is a very, very pretty ride. Looking forward to your comeback, wingover! [:)]

Post September 6th, 2011, 9:39 am

Thanks for the great comments! [:D]

Here's a bit of theming progress:
Image Insert:
265.37 KB

Post September 6th, 2011, 11:40 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
If you want to add that extra touch to the tunnels, you can add a lot of thin and very translucent smoke layers. In that way, you can simulate the darkness in the caves.
Just play around with the luminosity and opaqueness of the smoke/could layer to get the desired effect.

Post September 6th, 2011, 8:27 pm

^ I'll definitely try that. Since I raised the angle of the sun with the skybox, the caves are much brighter and I can afford to darken them more. But that's a job for later, right now I'm concentrating on the larger theming structures. Speaking of which, I just finished the amphitheatre.

Image Insert:
450.86 KB

Post September 6th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Points on hand: 143.00 Points
Bank: 3,000.00 Points
Nice amphitheater.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011
Originally posted by richie5126
T: all newtons on this site are smooth so this must be high.

Post September 6th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
I love this guy lol.

Lookin' good. :D
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post September 6th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points

Post September 6th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
I personally think the theming is looking spectacular. I personally think the amphitheater area can be improved a little, and the stalactites and stalagmites in your cave can have a little more detailed than a triangular prism. I can't speak much for how your trackwork is, but I have to say I am greatly looking forward to the release.
Originally posted by dcs221
\nMack Daddy A113. That'll be your rap name.

Post September 6th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
^ Less detail works better for those of us that have crappy computers
What are these for?

Post September 7th, 2011, 12:36 am
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
^But I can easily get more detail with only a few more polys; which, in this case, I think would be appropriate seeing as there aren't a whole lot of stalactites and stalagmites.
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post September 7th, 2011, 4:21 am

Originally posted by A113

I personally think the theming is looking spectacular. I personally think the amphitheater area can be improved a little, and the stalactites and stalagmites in your cave can have a little more detailed than a triangular prism. I can't speak much for how your trackwork is, but I have to say I am greatly looking forward to the release.

Thanks, I'll definitely add some more detail to the stalagtites. Unfortunately though smooth textures get completely screwed up so they might always be a bit blocky.
What do you think I could do to the amphitheatre? There's not much to them really. I experimented with bigger ones but they just started to feel like vast expanses of concrete and began to lose their effect. I know it looks a bit bare now, but I think with some trees and rubble it will look better.
Originally posted by CKidd

Less detail works better for those of us that have crappy computers

It's not too bad so far. 3ds heavy tracks tend to give me 30-40fps, and its currently running about 40-50, so expect it to run similarly to other rides with a lot of scenery when its done.

Post September 7th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
This looks so nice. I love the skybox. Is there any chance you will make the supports a bit less saturated, and maybe make the track SLIGHTLY darker or more yellow?

Post September 7th, 2011, 7:59 pm

^ That's exactly what I plan on doing. You can see from the last few screenshots I've been playing around with the lighting quite a lot to try and get the atmosphere I wanted, and that's made some of the colours look wierd. Especially the supports, which the construction kit exports with strange lighting settings. I'll sort it all out with anim8or at the end when I've made all the scenery, so it will all match up. At the moment everything's a bit of a mess, my to-do list is full of "Fix lighting/colours of..."

On another topic, I re-did the stalagtites, any better?
Image Insert:
356.81 KB

Post September 7th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

Post September 7th, 2011, 8:05 pm
RideWarriorNation User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,533.40 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post September 7th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Originally posted by Kyle Sloane

Mhm. What program you use?
^ Right. I think I'll need something more powerful next time though. Probably anim8or or maybe blender.

PreviousNext

Return to Hard Hat Area