Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Best B&M Hyper

Best B&M Hyper

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Best B&M Hyper

Apollo's Chariot
20%
Raging Bull
12%
Nitro
18%
Silver Star
3%
Goliath @ SFOG
7%
Goliath @ La Ronde
4%
Hollywood Dream: The Ride
2%
Behemoth
7%
Diamondback
21%
Intimidator
7%

Total votes : 107

Post November 29th, 2010, 7:49 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
I didn't say you were wrong or anything of the sort. I read your post, and just thought I would add my bit.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 6th, 2010, 3:44 pm

Points on hand: 814.00 Points
Out of Apollo's Chariot, Nitro, and Intimidator; I prefer Apollo's Chariot.

Post December 9th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

Post December 9th, 2010, 10:31 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Originally posted by Kyle Sloane

^^^I love stormrunner so much just fyi. I think it is one of the MOST underated coasters of all time, along with cyclone sfne.

American Eagle is definitely the most underrated coaster I've been on. It isn't even on the top 50 in the golden ticket awards. The coasters rated above it in the Mitch Hawker poll:

-Wild One
-Hoosier Hurricane
-Blue Streak (CP)
-Big Dipper (blackpool)

It gets worse.

-LE MONSTRE
-GRIZZLY
-ZEUS
American Eagle Lover

Post December 10th, 2010, 10:50 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
I liked Zeus...
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 10th, 2010, 11:10 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It doesn't do anything though. I like the ride, it's just not noteworthy at all.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 25th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Hey guys i change my mind after riding nitro again about a month after apollos. Nitro is better i hate to say it. The drop is better in the back even without the predrop. The first hill and dive is taller, has better airtime, and is more eventful than anything on apollos (even the twisty hill). Then the first big hill has atleast -.3 gs in the back on the way down, and is more sustained than any hill on apollos. The hammerhead is better than Apollos dull helix, and is really cool. The airtime hill next is nearly half the height of the one next to it, even though the only thing separating it from the first one is the hammerhead, and sustains over -.4 gs and maybe even gets to -.7 in the back. It is better airtime imo than the first hill on the return trip of bizarro. It actually lifts you but completely off the seat even when i was pretty stapled. Then the next dive hill has equally good airtime as the little hill before it, and lats on the way down. The helix after is really intense, and really a great change up. Then the midbrake drop, even after being slowed down by trims, has like -.6 ejector in the back, and the next hills each have atleast -.4 or 5 in the back, and they are turning for some reason providing lats, and they are under the massive structure of the first hill and drop. I cant even imagine the potential of those last bunny hops without the midbrake trimming at all. Apollos was no more than -.2 or 3 on any of the hills. End of story.

Post September 25th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Points on hand: 935.00 Points
Originally posted by Jonny Richey

^^^I love stormrunner so much just fyi. I think it is one of the MOST underated coasters of all time, along with cyclone sfne.

American Eagle is definitely the most underrated coaster I've been on. It isn't even on the top 50 in the golden ticket awards. The coasters rated above it in the Mitch Hawker poll:

-Wild One
-Hoosier Hurricane
-Blue Streak (CP)
-Big Dipper (blackpool)

It gets worse.

-LE MONSTRE
-GRIZZLY
-ZEUS

Really dude, you get all pissy when people hate on you bringing up American Eagle all the time. But really, you felt the need to make an argument for it in a thread about B&M hypers. American Eagle has no place in here.

The only one I've ever done is Diamondback and I loved it to death. The air in the back with the restraint a click up and legs extended straight out was ridiculous. I much preferred the back over the front though, the front wasn't nearly as air filled.

Post September 25th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Originally posted by raptorTC

Originally posted by Jonny Richey

-Wild One
-Hoosier Hurricane
-Blue Streak (CP)
-Big Dipper (blackpool)

It gets worse.

-LE MONSTRE
-GRIZZLY
-ZEUS

Really dude, you get all pissy when people hate on you bringing up American Eagle all the time. But really, you felt the need to make an argument for it in a thread about B&M hypers. American Eagle has no place in here.

Dude, you're 10 months late.

@Kyle Sloane About 2 weeks ago I rode Nitro about 13 times. Never did I feel anything near -.7. Yes, it was stronger than the adjacent hill but it still never affected me to that extent.

I will always love Apollo's Chariot's drop better because the airtime is a little more sudden than drawn out. I also prefer those long dives on AC because, even if the air is weaker, it is just such a fun experience. It is like that dive before the quadruple up on Boulder Dash, I love it even though the airtime is relatively weak just because it dives lower and gives you that awesome natural acceleration, that's just me. Not to mention that on Nitro the first hill after the MCBR has no airtime at all. The only two things that really stick out for me on Nitro is the awesome pre-drop where you get airtime in the back and the helix (which was great until I started graying).
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post September 26th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Points on hand: 1,275.00 Points
Apollo and nitro for me. Have not been on other B&M hypers so i cant really judge.

Post September 27th, 2011, 1:07 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
So I've ridden Apollo's Chariot around 130 times, and Nitro 100+ times, and I have to say 75% or more of what Kyle Sloane just said is completely wrong. There is no airtime descending the first camelback on Nitro, and because of that and the fact that Apollo sustains the float until the pullout on its third hill, I have to disagree there. The corresponding hill may be better in the front on Nitro, but on Apollo it's all about setting up that dive to the water. Other than the forces, that's subjective, but I definitely don't agree.

However, I guarantee you the return hill on Nitro, while my favorite hill of the ride, does not hit close to -.7. The drop off the brakes does NOT hit -.6...it's slightly stronger than 0 in the back. I think what you're noticing there is the jerk, not the magnitude. The next hills hit maybe -.3 max, other than the ascent into the brakes in the front which may be slightly more, and the lats are so slight that I've not once ever noticed them, and I look for details like that. It's an insignificant detail to me, unlike the pump at the base of the MCBR drop on Apollo, and the tiny increase in slope before the last drop, both of which definitely add to the experience. That "potential" you speak of doesn't really matter either, as I've been lots of times and I've never ridden it without trims on the MCBR, even on cold and windy days where it looked like it almost wouldn't make it over the first hill if it didn't have passengers.

Disagree on the drop, as Apollo has one of my favorites even others I've ridden like that of El Toro, Millennium Force, and Intimidator 305, whereas Nitro's is excellent, but not nearly up to those standards. As devilsrule noted, if you sit in the back, the airtime on that drop hits almost instantly, and there is literally perfect floating all the way until the pullout. That's subjective though.

I think the only thing I agree with you on is the quality of the hammerhead and the helix. I don't think Apollo's helix is particularly exciting, but those two turns on Nitro are a lot of fun.

But yeah, while I haven't seen a force graph for Nitro, I guarantee from experience on that ride and others, and having seen other force graphs and compared experiences, almost all of your values are wrong.

Post September 27th, 2011, 11:58 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

I've been on Apollo's Chariot, Nitro, and Diamondback.

Apollo's Chariot I remember loving a lot, (rode it in 1999,) especially because of how it uses the terrain and actually has some variety of forces, with some nice ejector in the double-down and some lats in the back in the right-left jaunt near the end. Fun stuff! The only part that I remember disliking is the turnaround, which I found a bit boring.

Nirto I used to consider a top-5 favorite (rode it in 2003,) but in retrospect it was just because at the time I felt pressured into it by its top-5 ranking in the Golden Ticket Awards. When I really think about it, the drop is actually a bit airless compared to Apollo, and the second hill is a completely wasted chance for airtime. Third hill has great floater air, the hammerhead is fun, the double helix is AMAZING, and the rest of the hills are standard B&M air hills all with the same forces. In the end, the only thing I really loved about this ride was the double-helix, with a few other good moments and sadly some serious wasted opportunities.

Diamondback, honestly, did absolutely nothing for me. (Rode about 2 months ago.) I don't know why. Sadly, nowadays I just feel like a total coaster cynic. NOTHING does it for me anymore ever since I rode The Voyage and Maverick. Yes, it had airtime, even lots of ejector airtime since I rode in the back, but every single hill's air was exactly the same! And to be frank, it just got really boring and predictable after about 8 of them. The hammerhead was good, but there really weren't any good positive-g moments or especially-memorable turns.

Conclusion: I just don't like B&M hypers at all anymore. They're just too predictable, and don't have enough variety. Sadly, in an era where I've now ridden some truly exciting rides, they just don't do it for me anymore. It's honestly a sad feeling for me, but I guess it happens. (Getting old sucks... I really wish I could go back to that childhood era where EVERYTHING was the best thing in the world and I was always so excited about riding the next tallest and fastest thing...)

Post October 4th, 2011, 10:28 pm

Points on hand: 99.00 Points
RB is the only one of i've been on so i voted for that...

Post November 23rd, 2011, 9:59 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Ive only ridden Nitro and Behemoth but that airtime on the first drop ( in the back row) and the gs on the double helix ( Absolutly amazing) i have to go with nitro. (i also have pride in my home park![approve][:D][:)])
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post November 23rd, 2011, 10:16 pm

Points on hand: 578.00 Points
I've been on Intimidator, Diamondback, Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Goliath, and Raging Bull and like them as such - in that order (5, 8, 11, 12, 16, and 25 are their rankings, respectively). I've heard people talk a lot of crap on Intimidator and apotheosize both AC and Goliath... which I guess would contribute to their rankings.
I didn't expect much of Intimidator but the sensations of height and speed over those first two drops really blew me away.
Diamondback was great. Great first drop, beautiful air, but it didn't jump out at me, so it didn't top Intimidator.
Nitro...my first ride on Nitro was after riding El Toro for the first time, and basically towards the beginning of my coaster tripping. I was told Nitro had airtime greater than El Toro's; something I could not fathom. I was horribly disappointed. But since then, I've ridden it many time, and appreciate the floater air a lot more. It's just the drop that disappoints me now. Does nothing for me.
Apollo's Chariot was good but I've been so used to, I don't know, longer hypers that riding it sort of let me down. I didn't expect it to be over so quickly. I really liked the ride regardless, and night rides in the front were fantastic, but the disappoint got the better of it.
Goliath... Goliath just hurt. I rode in the back and after watching the trains go by all day...I mean, it's such an absolutely BEAUTIFUL coaster. Anyway, I got on, got excited...and it was rougher than all of the other hypers I've been on, plus it was over rather quick. It looks so much longer than it feels. I would love to get a second chance, and take a front seat ride next time.
And Raging Bull...is fun, but I'm not much into twisters.

Post November 23rd, 2011, 11:42 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

i rode Apollo's Chariot twice and I was unimpressed both times. It was good, but not great. If I had to choose, I'd say Griffon was much more exhilarating. So if that's the best that b&m hypers have to offer, then it's a sad world.

Post November 24th, 2011, 11:48 am

Points on hand: 841.00 Points
Never been on one. =(
Originally posted by AJClarke0912

"Newtony-piece-a-poop upward spiraling barrel roll"

But none of that really hits here so it's okay.

Post November 24th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

^There AWESOME!!! YOUR MISSING OUT. QUICK! GET THIS MAN TO A B&M HYPER IMMIDIATLY. LOL
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post November 24th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points

Post August 28th, 2015, 8:57 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
My favorite B&M hyper is definitely Diamondback. Pretty forceful, lots of strong floater air, smooth, and very rerideable. :)
thumb_image_11988.jpg

Post August 28th, 2015, 9:11 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Technically Diamondback is the best B&M Hyper but Raging Bull is fun too!
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post August 28th, 2015, 9:15 am

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I'm surprised to see Apollo's Chariot catching up to Diamondback. I didn't find Apollo quite memorable. Maybe a lot of users who voted live in that area. It was a great one but not the best that I have been on for sure.

Post August 28th, 2015, 9:56 am
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
GerstlCrazy wrote:
Technically Diamondback is the best B&M Hyper but Raging Bull is fun too!

Isn't RB classified as a "Hyper Twister" and not a "Hyper"?

I've only ridden Behemoth and Nitro and Behemoth was much better!
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post August 28th, 2015, 9:58 am

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points

Previous

Return to General Theme Park Discussions