Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion DJ'ing Equipment

DJ'ing Equipment

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post October 7th, 2011, 6:26 am

Points on hand: 905.00 Points

So I am looking to get into DJ'ing in the very near future, but obviously I need equipment first. I've been practicing the basics with Deckadance for a while now, and I am really looking forward to get more hands on.

I would also really like to stay digital. I would like to add vinyl later, but right now my budget doesn't like everything required for vinyl. I found a few in my price range, but wanted to get opinions from somebody who is experienced here first. I am looking at the Traktor Kontrol S4 and Pioneer's DDJ-T1. Both are around the same price, and just about the max that I am looking into paying for just the controller(s).

Thoughts? I appreciate any feedback you guys have, I know there are a few experienced DJ's on here.

Cheers.

Post October 7th, 2011, 10:46 am

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Firstly move away from Decadance and go for Serato Itch or Traktor. You?????????re never going to go completely vinyl anyways if you buy any of those 2 controllers????????? reason being is that unfortunately you can do so much more digitally. You are going to fall into the horrible loop of people that can't dj without the sync button. And only have to press a button to play a snippet from a cue matrix????????? Oh yeah and you don't even have to have rhythm to do so it snaps automatically to the pre calculated beat markers.

I'll give you a better Idea of what you need if you are more specific, what?????????s your aim. You want to dj in clubs, house parties, weddings, giant events that only 0.1% of dj?????????s actually gets too or just on your own locked up in the basement? Also if clubs please specify: Upper class with dress code and such, heavy underground or like these happy hardcore bunny ravers? Also: Outside events, indoors or both?

Post October 7th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
I know a lot of clubs want CD DJs because the 'with laptop' image isn't so good.

I got a controller (Numark Omni Control) and it's probably been the best way to waste ?????????245. Wish I'd have saved a bit more and got some CD decks. With Traktor/Serato/VDJ/Torq/etc the temptation is there to hit the sync button and be done with it so I recommend if you do go for MP3 decks and use say Traktor, turn off the beat grid (hide) and the phase bar as using these isn't really Djing, its just like playing a song, rushing them into beat using a tool and then mixing.

As for which to get, its completely up to you, I'd really recommend trying all of which are available out before making a purchase though.
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post October 7th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Points on hand: 905.00 Points

My aim at the moment is to DJ in clubs. There isn't a whole lot of super under ground in St. Louis, but that would be better than main stream. I'd prefer mostly the indoor, night time party/club environment. I'm sure I won't be entertaining 10's of 1,000's of people at any giant events right away, if I ever even get there, so that's not really a worry right now. Outdoor events and weddings are a possibility and I wouldn't deny myself from them either.

I chose deckadance because I already had it with FL Studio. Most of the controllers I've looked at and considered buying come with Traktor, Serato, or Torq anyway. Which, judging from various reviews and videos, blow Deckadance out of the water. And no, I don't use the sync button. Not only does it show that you have no sense of rhythm, but it doesn't even work right half the time. At least with Deckadance, you still have to make minor adjustments throughout a song. Without it, I'm able to get it closer it seems than with it on anyway. Even if I do have to make little adjustments with the pitch and tracking throughout the mix.

Post October 8th, 2011, 6:34 am

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Then I'll recommend buying a more universal system that can play Cd?????????s/DVD?????????s and be hooked up as a midi controller as well. It's not that I don't like the PC concept, it's just that you?????????ll need to be able to DJ on multiple platforms before you?????????ll ever get recommended doing club gigs. Many and I mean many places doesn't allow you to plug in all your poop on their PA system not to mention wasting 30 minutes of your 1 hour set putting it up and taking it down. It's such a waste really that I started leaving my stuff at home for any party as long as there at least is something we can mix on.

Cheaper cdj?????????s doesn't have the Sync function as it requires some computer power to run the beat grid formula. Calculating the BPM however is a given on CDJ?????????s but remember it's not that accurate and can cause a track to drift over time but it won't sync your tracks perfectly for you. You?????????ll have to get your phrase lined up and play with what works the best for you. Easiest method to practice IMO is by trying out 2 minimal house songs, Cue right before beat 1 on the incoming deck, line it up on any beat IWO just beat match and don't think about the phrase, listen to how long it takes to drift (16 bars should be fine). Now you have the BPM set correctly, Hit the play button repeatedly on the Beat of the song and just release when both decks are on Beat 1. You?????????ll need to practice this method over and over until you dream about it and then some more. Know your songs well cause visually looking at a wave file gives out a lot of information regarding the breakdowns etc????????? Many songs like to deviate and have a 1 or ????????? a bar section followed by immediately beginning with the phrase that will through your other deck off.

Maybe look at something like this:
http://www.numark.com/mixdeckquad

I actually have the 2 channel version of this thing and for the price it's really flexible. I'll recommend trying it out.

Also for extreme mobility check out the Vestax Vci 300 or Vestax typhoon. Both units fit in a laptop bag and doesn't even need a power adapter. If your laptop is plugged in, the USB port should power the whole thing. But like I said try out the Mixdeck first.

Post October 9th, 2011, 1:58 pm

Points on hand: 4,334.00 Points

I'm looking to get into this myself in the near future since i'm a musician. I heard and have Ableton live 8 for DJing purposes but with Sarato together, you have a good DJ machine. Im looking to get Sarato a little later since I'm just getting into Live performance. Lots of good one's out there and not just the only ones that I mentioned.

Return to Off Topic Discussion