Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions GCI To Ruin The Cyclone

GCI To Ruin The Cyclone

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post February 5th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
From Screamscape:

"According to the Present of CAI, Great Coasters surveyed the Cyclone and determined that by making a few very small adjustments to its profile, they could make the ride more enjoyable for everyone. The project will be broken down into several phases and result in a complete track replacement within 4 to 5 years. Part of the final phase will involve either refurbishing or replacing the Cyclone?????????s trains."

I'm aware that their Boulder Dash reprofiling was an excellent decision, but the last thing the world needs is that company reprofiling a ride to make it more comfortable since all of their old rides are incredibly weak and I don't want them returning to that. New trains would be....the worst. Wish I could head out and ride it before they inevitably make it poop.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post February 5th, 2012, 12:30 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
I think they really have no choice. At a certain point in time, a coaster will be too old and maintenance is just going to be a major bitch.

I'd wished they refused GCI to change the bends themselves and keep the trains, but I guess they had their reasons.

More importantly, keeping the Cyclone running smoothly is essential for it's survival.

Post February 5th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Their past maintenance was basically just adding more padding to the trains, so it could use some help. As long as the drops stay sharp it will be fine. The valleys are what need work.

Post February 5th, 2012, 5:05 pm
AyTrane Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,132.00 Points
The Cyclone is in extreme need of repair. Zamperla decided to build a new set of trains for the coaster, which I'm excited to see what they come up with.

The ledgers for the ride were in sad shape and were going to be replaced anyway. The profile changes mentioned are just to bump the ledgers back up to where they belong. We are talking about a ride built in 1927, things have shifted out of place over the years, so the re-tracking is mainly to fix the problematic spots that cause the extreme roughness during the ride.

Personally, I thought the ride was awful. The layout is really great, but way way too rough. Looking down the rails, you could clearly see bumps in the track. The structure itself (especially in the pullouts) was in dire need of replacement. Some of the ledgers supporting the track weren't even ledgers but just railroad ties sitting in the dirt. These are the type of things that are being fixed, so fear not, the Cyclone will still be the Cyclone, just not so painful.

Post February 5th, 2012, 6:00 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

suprisingly enough, as this site's "wood snob" i say go for it.. somebody has to do something to keep it around.. it's not like it hasnt been done before, in fact if it hadnt been done in 1936 it might be gone now , i say let them have a whack at it , otherwise it'll get to decrepit to keep running..

Post February 5th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
When it comes to adjustments like gradual re-tracking of areas [which probably won't even produce much of a different riding experience, other than a lil' added smoothness] and even the replacement of trains, I think it's better to make them rather than to let the ride fall into a painful lack of "ride-ability"... classic or not.

Post February 5th, 2012, 10:39 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

I would be for keeping the current trains if possible, but the profile changes I'm not really against as long as they keep the drops sudden. The turns on the ride are surprisingly smooth (which may be to a slightly unique tracking pile similar to the one on Thunderbolt at Kennywood, which also has very smooth turns) but the valleys need attention.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions