Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Oblivion - serious safety incident.

Oblivion - serious safety incident.

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post May 10th, 2012, 7:56 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I don't know if anyone saw this already, but this happened the other day:

http://riderater.co.uk/?p=1758

The Darwin Awards nearly had a new contender, after a number of vehicles travelled through the ride before the ride was stopped. Having put himself in the position, I wouldn't have lost much sleep had anything happened to him; what is most annoying about it, though, is the risk that he posed to the riders. What an insane individual.
Last edited by gouldy on May 10th, 2012, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post May 10th, 2012, 8:12 am

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
WTF. Why are people stupid? What did he expect to find... a dark concrete tunnel?

Post May 10th, 2012, 8:16 am

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

Sounds very similar to the Katun incident a while back, except that one ended tragically...
When will people learn that when an object of great mass travels at a great speed, it usually doesn't want to be friends.

Post May 10th, 2012, 8:52 am

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

I think I would have been more surprised by this before I worked at a park for a summer. At least once a month we'd have kids hop fences to take shortcuts through ride areas, and the amount of smaller incidents we saw every week was just crazy. Still, this one is pretty serious and scary to see. I have a theory that people shut their brains off the moment they walk through the front gate at parks...

Post May 10th, 2012, 9:48 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

It's actually quite a surprise that nothing did happen to him: he actually entered the tunnel at the other end and walked/climbed up to the point where he was pictured. A number of trains went through the tunnel while this was going on, before the ride was stopped. I'd bet the train produces quite a wall of air when it's travelling through the tunnel at 70mph - I'm surprised he wasn't blown into danger and then literally blown into oblivion.

Post May 10th, 2012, 10:01 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

Lost articles will not be retrieved until the end of the day.

Post May 11th, 2012, 4:02 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by gouldy

It's actually quite a surprise that nothing did happen to him: he actually entered the tunnel at the other end and walked/climbed up to the point where he was pictured

...? That's actually what happened?

Post May 11th, 2012, 4:18 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

It's actually quite a surprise that nothing did happen to him: he actually entered the tunnel at the other end and walked/climbed up to the point where he was pictured

...? That's actually what happened?

That's what all the eye-witnesses have said, yeah. At the other end of the tunnel, there's a pond surrounding the tunnel, which he waded through to get to the high fence. Then he scaled the fence and dropped down into the tunnel, which at the other end is obviously a much shallower gradient than the end he was pictured at. Down the length of the tunnel there is a walkway either side of the coaster, far enough away that the train can pass through the tunnel and still leave the walkway clear on both sides. So he must have just followed that before coming to the "ladder" that's formed/set into the nearly vertical concrete at this end of the tunnel.

Why would someone do any of this? For attention? To impress his mates? Is he mentally handicapped in someway? I'm hoping that some kind of statement or something comes from him to explain himself. Not sure it will though...

Post May 11th, 2012, 5:52 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Why would someone do any of this? For attention? To impress his mates? Is he mentally handicapped in someway? I'm hoping that some kind of statement or something comes from him to explain himself. Not sure it will though...

If he's not mentally handicapped then he should be thrown in prison. You go to jail for death by dangerous driving, don't see how this is any different. [:(!]
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Return to General Theme Park Discussions